PDA

View Full Version : Need help with router table fence?

Matthew Barrett
12-30-2007, 7:23 PM
I am building a router table fence and not sure how to attach it to the table. Anybody out there have a good idea how to clamp it to the table and make it easy to adjust?

james gerus
12-30-2007, 8:07 PM
T track works well its available at rockler, woodcraft and others.

Lee Koepke
12-30-2007, 8:10 PM
I did a pivot point, and an arched slot in my first router table.

Since the router bit is round, the "parallel" alignment isnt critical. Got the info from a WoodCraft manager. It worked pretty good.

Thom Sturgill
12-30-2007, 8:23 PM
One common method:
Make the fence about 4" longer than the table is wide. Make two 'L' brackets where the inside height is about the same as the table thickness or slightly less. Get two toilet flange bolts or carriage bolts and wing nuts or knobs. Drill holes up through the vertical part of the L brackets and the end of the fence for the bolts - The fence should be either a metal angle or a braced L form with the leg pointing to the back of the table.

Alternately, rout a pair of slots in the table and run a bolt up through the slots into the fence. This is the way my woodpecker table top is made.

I have also seen fences that pivot on one end (bolted through table) and clamp on the other end where all adjustment is made. This does not work well with parallelism to an embedded T-slot used for jigs/miter sleds, etc.

Rick Gooden
12-30-2007, 10:10 PM
I have fought aligning the fence to the miter track for a long time and finally decided to do something about it. I just did this a couple of weeks ago and so far it seems to be working OK.

Bill Huber
12-30-2007, 10:59 PM
I have had a small table with slots and that is out, I really didn't like that at all.
I have used a table with T track in the table and it worked ok but the track was there to catch the wood or fill with chips.
I have a Jessem now and I love the way they do it, there is noting on the top and they have brackets on each end. I don't see why it could not be done with a home built one.

The fence is longer then the table and they use a type of T track and mount it to the bottom of the table.
This is about the same thing that Thom Sturgill was saying.

You can see it in this image.
http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/image/85312069

pat warner
12-30-2007, 11:04 PM
This one (http://patwarner.com/images/rtf_opener.jpg) locked down x a set of studded levers screwed into a pair of tee-nuts.