PDA

View Full Version : New tools gloat

Stefan Antwarg
02-24-2004, 6:57 PM
Well, I rarely start gloat threads, so I figured why not. Ever since I moved into my new house back in September, I have been adding to my selection of tools. Mainly because at my old house I only had a 10x10 work space. Now it is 16x36 (and if I wanted could be 36x36 :)) Anyway, since moving I have added a Jet combo belt/disk sander, a grinder with a wolverine jig, a 13" planer, a circular saw, and as of today, the Jet 1442 lathe. Todays arrival was probably the most exciting. The legs are on backorder for another week, so for now I have it mounted on some fischer sawhorses. It seems stable enough for a week. Now I am looking forward to my bowl turning lesson with Bill G. more than ever (next week).

The bad news - eventually the basement will be finished. I guess I can worry about that later.

Stefan

P.S. Shamefull plug alert - My old Delta midi lathe is still for sale in the classified section and I am definitely willing to negotiate since it seems my price is too high for used.

Chris Padilla
02-24-2004, 7:02 PM
Hmm, no pics with your gloat? I don't know about that! :) I think that is against the rules or something....

:D

Jim Becker
02-24-2004, 9:27 PM
Stefan, congrats on the new lathe. You'll really enjoy it!

John Miliunas
02-24-2004, 9:34 PM
Hmm, no pics with your gloat? I don't know about that! :) I think that is against the rules or something....

:D

As they say on one of the other WW forums: "No pics, it never happened." OK, let's not get quite THAT anal, but we'd sure like a peek there, Stefan! :cool:

Stefan Antwarg
02-24-2004, 9:52 PM
OK - the shop is a mess, but I took a couple quick shots:

John Miliunas
02-24-2004, 10:43 PM
Ahhhh...That's better! One question, though: How did you manage to get the "Delta" logo as a mirror image on the planer? :confused: :cool:

Stefan Antwarg
02-25-2004, 5:47 AM
Good eyes!. That is a collectors item - the only one made like that. It's worth $500,000 and it's for sale!

Actually, I think when I was manipulating it in paint shop pro, I must have reversed it accidentally.

Randy Moore
02-25-2004, 7:48 AM
Stefan

Hey the shop looks nice, just like every other shop that actually does some work. It should be messy. But I do have one CONCERN----do you have your lathe fastened down to the sawhorse?! I am afraid that if you don't it might walk off some time whem you're engrossed in your work. It would really BITE if it fell off. Other wise good looking shop.

Randy

Glenn Clabo
02-25-2004, 7:54 AM
Congrats on the new stuf...AND you win "The Best Use of an Ironingboard Award"

Mike Scoggins
02-25-2004, 8:38 AM
Now it is 16x36 (and if I wanted could be 36x36 :))

Stefan,

What could you possibly have in mind for that other 20' of space that could otherwise be a part of your shop? :D There is no substitute for plenty of room. I sure wish I had more.

Anyway, nice gloat!

Mike

Stefan Antwarg
02-25-2004, 11:29 AM
Yes, the lathe is bolted down. It's only temporary though - as the legs should be coming soon.

I was waiting for someone to notice the ironing board. I figured someone may as well use it ;)

I am most likely not going to use the other half of the basement. I don't want to get used to that much space. When the basement gets finished, I am sure I won't have anything close to this size. But who knows.

Stefan

Tyler Howell
02-25-2004, 11:47 AM
I am most likely not going to use the other half of the basement. I don't want to get used to that much space. When the basement gets finished, I am sure I won't have anything close to this size. But who knows.

Stefan,
Wipe those thoughts right out of your mind. :mad: New is good! Big is good. A finished shop is an excellent use of that space. :cool:
Finders Keepers!:cool:
Nice set up. Enjoy!

Stefan Antwarg
02-25-2004, 5:00 PM
Truth be told - I actually want the basement to be finished as a family room. I live in a log house which is wonderful. But, with no insulation and a completely open floor plan, sound is not isolated throughout the house. We have a nice home theater setup which sounds horrible in the living room - because of hard walls and floor and a cathedral ceiling. Plus my wife and I are musicians and we occasionally practice our instrument and listen to music. No matter what part of the house you are in (except the basement), it sounds like you are right where the sound is. If I am practicing and my wife is watching TV, it is a real battle to concentrate in what you are doing. (BTW, my tuba at 110 decibles overplays any TV if I want it to :))

Anyway, I want to finish the basement in such a way that sound will stay down there and not bother anyone in the rest of the house. I want to put the HT setup down there and a practice room. Maybe a bar. So, I will probably need a garage of some sort for woodworking.

Byron Trantham
02-25-2004, 5:29 PM
Yes, the lathe is bolted down. It's only temporary though - as the legs should be coming soon.

I was waiting for someone to notice the ironing board. I figured someone may as well use it ;)

Stefan
Stephan,
When we did our basement my shop area was doubled - by my wife! Now both of us wish we had doubled that! You can always add walls but its a bummer to take them down! :mad: