PDA

View Full Version : source for 52" unifence table.

keith micinski
12-30-2007, 6:12 PM
I just installed a used unifence on my new delta 36-979. It came with the leg's and the table rails. I built my own table but I must have gotten some bad contact cement because my laminate is already coming up in a few spots. It will work but I would rather have everything with the saw and table squared away so I am not fighting it later. Where can I buy just the table and also will the table attach to the saw using the holes that are already in the extension wing?

John Callahan
12-30-2007, 6:27 PM
Try Amazon , Delta p/n 34-998 may be what you're looking for.

keith micinski
12-30-2007, 6:41 PM
There is a used one for 125 that he says has never been opened. I didn't realize they would be that expensive. Maybe I will just make another at that price.

Jim Becker
12-30-2007, 7:43 PM
Yes, those little extension tables are "made of gold" when you buy them. Even if you completely trash the one you made, you'll come out way ahead just building another one.

keith micinski
12-30-2007, 8:04 PM
Ya I think I will turn my old one into an out feed table and make a new one.

Jim O'Dell
12-30-2007, 10:36 PM
Gee....how much would a solid piece of phenolic the right size cost? :D As a thought, you could try Woodpeckers for some of their phenolic faced baltic birch ply. Not sure how much it would cost, but it should be very durable. Jim.

Steve Mellott
12-31-2007, 11:48 AM
Keith:

Where are you located? Redmond Machinery in the Atlanta area has a large selection of used outfeed tables for $10-$30. They could easily be adapted for a side table.

Steve

Eric DeSilva
12-31-2007, 1:12 PM
I was sort of in the same boat--my unisaw came with the bies fence and table, but it was pretty dinged up, and swelling in some edge spots where liquids had spilled on it. That and the fact that the guy I bought it from had installed it in a manner such that it was 3/4" higher on the far end than on the near end. Couldn't figure that one out at all, but I squared it up, redrilled the mounting holes, and I'm living with it for the time being.

I actually wanted to use phenolic faced ply for a new table and do up a router insert at the same time. The problem there was that the only phenolic faced ply I could find was at WC, and the largest sheets they sold were 2' x 4'--typical cabinet saws spec with a 27" table, so I really needed a 3' x 3' sheet. I would have bought a 4' x 4' sheet if I could find it, but couldn't. I also looked into cutting up a section of pre-made laminate countertop, but that stuff is particle board underneath, and probably even more prone to swelling, etc. FBOW, my impetus to redo the table has been undercut by getting a Benchdog ProMAX cast iron wing for the other side of my saw for Xmas. :)

If anyone has any great ideas about building such tables, I'm all ears. I'm half tempted to just build one from 3/4" maple ply and wax the heck out of it. I also considered a 3/4" MDF top supported by a torsion box-like grid underneath, and with a piece of masonite on top of that, although that seems to require building up the sides so the masonite wouldn't move around. The way I figure it, however, the table is more for support, and doesn't necessarily need six 9s of precision for decent cuts.