PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Titebond off clamps

Ed Ditto
12-30-2007, 4:50 PM
I just finished a kitchen counter project, and despite waxing the bars of my Jet and Jorgensen parallel-jaw clamps beforehand, now I have a bunch of caked-on Titebond III to clean off.

The scraper and the wire brush are working v e r y s l o w l y...so is there a treatment I can brush on that will dissolve this stuff? Mineral spirits, acetone, paint thinner, etc?

Thanks...

Ed

Norman Pyles
12-30-2007, 4:54 PM
After the first time getting glue on my Bessey's, I started using wax paper. You can use it over and over if you are careful. Sorry this doesn't help you now, but maybe in the future.

Jim Becker
12-30-2007, 5:14 PM
I believe you can use ammonia to dissolve the hardened PVA glue...I gotta do that one of these days, too...'hard to find time for "maintenance" sometimes!

Matt Mutus
12-30-2007, 5:17 PM
I would use a wire wheel on a bench grinder.

or and angle grinder with the clamp held in a vice.

Jeff Cybulski
12-30-2007, 8:28 PM
I believe you can use ammonia to dissolve the hardened PVA glue...I gotta do that one of these days, too...'hard to find time for "maintenance" sometimes!

Jim's right - I've used ammonia on my Bessey and Jorgs and it worked great. I sprayed it on and used a ScothchBrite pad and with a little work it cleaned right up. For piece of mine I wiped the bars down with Naptha to make sure all the ammonia was removed. Now I use waxpaper on the bars...lesson learned.

Jeff

Jeffrey Makiel
12-30-2007, 8:39 PM
I also recommend ammonia and water. Soak them for a few hours in a bucket. Also works for those forgotten glue brushes.

-Jeff :)