PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collector Info Help

George Bregar
12-30-2007, 4:27 PM
I have a chance to buy this Dayton dust collector for $500...never used. Waiting to find out more...only description is 3HP, single phase. Google provided nothing. Anyone know about this bad boy? TIA

Matt Meiser
12-30-2007, 5:24 PM
Sounds like a lot of money to me. The body and cone are extremely short compared to most cyclones, which means the separation most likely isn't going to be all that good.

For an extra $275 you could get a 2HP Grizzly cyclone, complete with a filter and remote switch: http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-HP-Cyclone-Dust-Collector/G0440

Assuming you were willing to do some work, if you could get it for say $200, the blower might make a respectable blower for a home-built cyclone.

Steven Wilson
12-31-2007, 12:38 AM
I might be one that was used for metalworking, it does seem a bit short for handling wood dust. Do you know what size impellor or the inlet, outlet diameters? That would give you a clue as to potential CFM. 500$ does sound very high.

George Bregar
12-31-2007, 12:43 AM
Thanks matt and Steve...let me clarify, they are asking $500. I was going to lowball. But I'm now convinced by you guys and others that it's not the way to go. That grizz is sweet... ;)

Rob Will
12-31-2007, 12:46 AM
I agree, that cyclone is way too short. Heavy chips might separate ok but fines will probably blow right through.

Rob

Chuck Burns
12-31-2007, 3:38 AM
Look at Oneida; top quality stuff and advice from people who know what they are talking about.

Jim Thiel
12-31-2007, 11:26 AM
From what I find on Graingers site it doesn't look complete. I couldn't find a three horse model, but the two they do show (model 3aa25, 3aa26) look like the one you are thinking about.

From their web description:
Conical blower housing induces a cyclone to effectively separate heavy and light particles; heavier particles drop into the drum (available separately) and lighter particles are captured in the dust filter bag.

Uses: Multi point collection of sawdust and wood particles, ferrous metal filings and dust, plastic shavings, paper shreds, textile lint, fiberglass, and rock and rubber particles. Not for use with aluminum or other reactive materials.

Jim

George Bregar
12-31-2007, 11:33 AM
Talked to the guy, he won't budge on the price, and it only comes with the blower. It is 3HP though. Gonna pass. Thanks all.