PDA

View Full Version : adhesive question

Tom Hoffman
12-30-2007, 3:14 PM
I'm refacing cabinet face frames with shop made 1/16 inch thick black walnut that I've already oiled and finished on the show side. The veneer strips will be applied to scraped and sanded red oak.

Clamping these strips will be difficult at best. So, I'm thinking of using the rubber cement stuff used to adhere laminate. This way, I won't have to clamp it. Anyone see a problem with using that product for wood to wood contact?

James Hart
12-30-2007, 6:42 PM
Tom,

I'm not an expert on this by any means, but I used contact cement to attach oak veneer to kitchen cabinets about 17 years ago. I'm told they still look fine.

There's really no clamping necessary with contact cement. I followed the same process you would use if it was plastic laminate.

Jim

Gary Breckenridge
12-30-2007, 11:29 PM
:)Some oil finishes off gas for a length of time and this just might partly disolve some glues. I'd do a bit more research and do a test piece. Contact the customer service people listed on the can of the product (1-800..........):)

Ron Bontz
12-30-2007, 11:43 PM
For what my penny is worth I would go with a good solvent based contact cement such as weldwood because of the potential for steam, heat and moister around the sink and stove. I have seen too many latex based cements, especially those sprayed on, come loose for one reason or the other. Just be sure you have good ventilation. :)