PDA

View Full Version : We are going to buy a Notebook Computer Tonight

John Weber
02-24-2004, 1:59 PM
Hey guys, we are going to look at "again" and hopefully buy a notebook computer late this afternoon. I like the Toshiba notebooks at Best Buy about the best. They also carry HP, Compaq, Sony, and a couple others. We'll try to stay under $1500, and also buy a wireless router, Linksys I think. Anyway, any last minute tips? The Toshiba's really seem like nice units, and have been making laptops a long time. The HP also seemed nice, I know Compaqs are the same, but seem cheaper. The Sony's seem to use a lot of cheaper plastic. I know it's what is inside, but still looking for a good value unit. Speed is not critical, wireless is. Any thoughts, options, etc...? It is for my wife so she will have the final say. I also like the widescreens, seems like they would be really great for movies and spreadsheets.

Thanks - John

Mark Singer
02-24-2004, 3:19 PM
I have a Toshiba and I recently got one for my daughter....Great Laptops!!! My son got a Fujitsu and an HP and has sent both back for repairs...My daugters is very powerful and was about $1000 recently! with rebate

Ed Falis
02-24-2004, 3:25 PM
Hi John,

Good luck with it. I've always liked the upper-end Toshibas (eg Tecra, but work paid for it), and the Fujitsu Lifebook E series.

Make sure you get XP, a CD-R/W and DVD option, along with built-in ethernet and wireless. More disk is pretty much always better.

I've found in the past that the recommendations on www.cnet.com are good. You might want to peruse before you go shopping.

- Ed

Ed Falis
02-24-2004, 3:28 PM
Oh yeah,

Do get a 15" diagonal active matrix TFT screen (probably pretty standard these days). It sure is pretty.

- Ed

If you decide you want to try Linux, I can point you to a nice sold and inexpensive version. Awful lot of free software there.

Jim Becker
02-24-2004, 4:46 PM
Because I can't stand the touchpads on most notebooks today (I'm a heavy right-mouse button user and that's harder to do with a touch pad) I tend to prefer the ThinkPads from the Itty Bitty Machine Company which still have the little eraser-head pointing device. Toshibas used to have them--and still may, but I haven't looked at them in some time since my employer provides my notebook. But any of the major brands are relatively decent machines...buy based on your needs. If it's a desktop replacement, you'll want something beefier/larger and more featured than something to be used as a secondary/travel machine.

John Weber
02-24-2004, 5:03 PM
Thanks guys, we don't have to buy tonight, just seems like we've been looking for awhile. I'm not sure who even carries IBM, I guess we could buy online, but there really seem to be a different feel to the different machines. I'm not against Dell, our desktop is a Dell and the notebook is in addition not a replacement. It just seemed when you customize a computer they seem right in the same ballpark as the others. So I would rather touch and feel I guess.

Thanks again - John

Chuck Wintle
02-24-2004, 5:07 PM
What is standard battery life for a laptop these days?

Curt Harms
02-24-2004, 5:12 PM
Because I can't stand the touchpads on most notebooks today (I'm a heavy right-mouse button user and that's harder to do with a touch pad) I tend to prefer the ThinkPads from the Itty Bitty Machine Company which still have the little eraser-head pointing device. Toshibas used to have them--and still may, but I haven't looked at them in some time since my employer provides my notebook.

I'll go along with Jim. IBMs'll take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. I had a Hitachi 133 Mhz (Rugged as all get-out...still running in Honduras) and a Compaq (didn't like it as well...had a trackpoint stick but didn't work as well as IBM and just seemed flakier). I've had my current machine for 2 years, lots of travel, been to 43,000 feet in an unpressurized baggage area a few times and it still works like a champ. I think it's pretty much impossible to see one in person however, as IBM seems to sell only mail order, no retail. Sorta like Grizz :)

Another issue I'd think about if wireless is a big isssue for you. I know enough about this to be dangerous, but I thought the 802.11g standard has better encryption and security than 802.11b. Perhaps someone who actually knows what they're talking about will jump in here.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Curt

Glenn Clabo
02-24-2004, 5:37 PM
We have a Dell Desktop, a Dell laptop, and a Sony VIO Laptop. We've owned Compaq, Toshiba, and homebuilts.

All computers are great...until something goes wrong. Dell, at one time, was the best not only because they worked but when they didn't they tried to help. Nowadays...forget it.

All the Sony VIO Laptops I've bought for work (>12) in the last year or so have worked great. We use them as desktops and carry them around wherever we go which includes home, hotels, planes, and submarines. They aren't the smallest...but they sure can take it.

I would suggest that you look at all that you can, touch as many as you can stand, and then buy the one you feel comfortable with. It just a tool...and like every tool...they have a following and a boat load of opinions attached.

Dean Baumgartner
02-24-2004, 11:50 PM
I've got a compaq EVO for work. We are all Compaq. I'm on my 4 the compaq as things upgrade. They've been pretty good overall, not many problems on the whole floor, something like 60 desktops and 50 laptops. About the only problem is the latest one has the built in wireless which is a USB device and on battery power draws enough battery power that some other USB devices that are power sensetive won't work. They all have both the glide point and built in joystick but like Jim Becker I'm a heavy mouse button user so I bring the mouse with me and plug in.

I think for a wireless connection instead of the builtin I'd rather have the PCMCIA card type. That way when the standard upgrades it's less costly to upgrade a card than a built in device.

Dean