PDA

View Full Version : Router and double sided tape

Rick Gifford
12-30-2007, 11:31 AM
I use double sided tape to hold two peices of wood together while flush routing. In the middle of my task last night I ran out of tape. Not a major problem, not like the stores dont carry more... but I really wanted to finish up.

I was wondering if anyone had helpful hints and tricks they might use for this.

Might be usefull knowledge in the future! Thanks~:)

Ellen Benkin
12-30-2007, 12:33 PM
You can get carpet tape in almost any hardware store. It will work in a pinch.

glenn bradley
12-30-2007, 1:23 PM
No help here. I'm with Ellen, just keep plenty on hand. There are certain disposable supplies that I just always keep an eye out for. If I see a good price on them, I pick them up whether I need them right now or not ;-) Double sided tape, DNA, Mineral Spirits, Sandpaper, Paste wax, gloves, rags, etc.

Jim Becker
12-30-2007, 2:54 PM
If you can make your workpieces and patterns longer than the final version, you could use a 23 gage pinner to temporarily lock them together. Or make your pattern as a sled for the router table with clamps to hold the workpiece in place and handles to hold on as you guide the assembly past a "top bearing" cutter. The latter is particularly effective for parts that you plan on making again or frequently.

Rob Will
12-30-2007, 4:26 PM
If you can make your workpieces and patterns longer than the final version, you could use a 23 gage pinner to temporarily lock them together. Or make your pattern as a sled for the router table with clamps to hold the workpiece in place and handles to hold on as you guide the assembly past a "top bearing" cutter. The latter is particularly effective for parts that you plan on making again or frequently.

I agree with Jim. A pattern set up as a sled seems like a good way to go. I recently purchased some toggle clamps on Amazon that would work well for this sort of thing. These are really handy around the shop.

Rob

Bert Johansen
12-30-2007, 9:33 PM
Rick, I'm with Glen on this question. I live an hour away from a Woodcraft store, and hate to run out of the essentials. So I keep a pad of note paper in the shop and keep a running list of stuff to pick up next time I'm in town. In addition to the items Glen mentioned, I never want to run out of shellac (I keep cans of the Zinnser aerosol on hand), BLO, masking tape, Abranet sanding disks, wax paper, rags, 0000 steel wool, cheap glue brushes, nails for the pin nailer, and a spare filter for the shop vac. I also keep on hand an entire cabinet full of different size screws, nuts and bolts. I also find it useful to have several of the popular drill bit sizes on hand, just in case one breaks--which always seems to happen on Sunday night when all the stores are closed and you are working against a deadline!