PDA

View Full Version : Expensive (in time) compass

Jack Ganssle
12-30-2007, 10:46 AM
I figured I could get a nice compass from Staples for $1 or so, or could was a day messing in the shop, so came up with this:

Steve Schlumpf
12-30-2007, 11:00 AM
Great concept and very nice work! Looks like this will work great! I also like the idea that by simply changing the length of the dowel you can increase the size of the circle. Again - nice work!

George Guadiane
12-30-2007, 11:42 AM
What an incredible waste of time :eek:
Can't wait to get started on MINE!:D
VERY COOL! - Did you start out with a design/plan or just a few bits and start playing?

Bernie Weishapl
12-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Boy what a blatant waste of time.:eek::eek::rolleyes:;) But I bet it was a lot of fun. What a kewl idea. I did go to staples and buy one. Now guess I will go waste some time in the shop. Thanks for sharing.

Curt Fuller
12-30-2007, 12:19 PM
No doubt you'll enjoy using your expensive, ie priceless, compass much more than some cheap, made in China, compass from Staples.

Bill Embrey
12-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Outstanding... that is what wasting time in the shop is all about... I didn't know what I was going to work on today... another bonker perhaps.... then I saw this... I'll be doing a compass for sure (a little larger scale for marking "found wood" for bowl blanks)

Thanx for the inspiration Jack

robert hainstock
12-30-2007, 4:21 PM
Seems like you need a hobby, or maybe just some direction.
Actually, that a great way to spend an afternoon. My lady would much rather I wasted my time in the shop than up the street in a bar. :)
Bob

Jack Ganssle
12-30-2007, 5:14 PM
George,

No design, just a bit of playing around. Actually, this is version 4; the first three were disasters.

Jack