PDA

View Full Version : More pens and new photo setup

Dan Forman
12-30-2007, 6:30 AM
Here are pens 4, 5, and 6: spalted maple Wallstreet 2, quilted maple Elegant American, and Olivewood Sierra Vista (larger than the standard Sierra/Wallstreet 2). The Vista is just the ideal size for me, a little smaller than a Cigar pen, but larger than nearly all the rest. I'll be making some more of these for myself. I also want to do a fountain pen soon, as I really enjoy them. The finish on these is CA/BLO. The quilted maple pen was given an initial coat of BLO to pop the grain prior to the 3 coaats of CA/BLO per the Russ Fairfield method.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/P1010743.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/P1010755.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/P1010739.jpg

I did a bunch of reading over on the IAP (International Association of Penturners) photography forum, and picked up some hints on improving my photography. Turns out that pens are tricky little buggers to photgraph well. I was going to build a photo tent, but ended up just covering the two compact flourescent full spectrum 100 watt bulbs with some of the white fabric I bought for the tent.

I used some grey fabric for a backdrop, under which was a piece of plywood with a paperclip which had been opened up and superglued to it, so that one end would stick up through the fabric. With the ink removed from the pens, they were placed over the protrding point of the paperclip and thus held nearly upright over the backdrop. I like this better than laying them flat, which is what I had done previously. I will be playing around with this more over the next few weeks, and will eventually build a light box or tent for larger objects.

Dan

Ben Gastfriend
12-30-2007, 8:49 AM
Let me be the first to say that the pens and photos look lovely. Thanks for the tip with the paper clip. I'll have to use that rather than my "decorative rock" to support pens and such! Good job!

Bernie Weishapl
12-30-2007, 10:34 AM
Great job Dan on both the photo's and the pens. Those came out great. Well done.

Steve Schlumpf
12-30-2007, 10:42 AM
Very nice work Dan! Great wood in each of your pens! Really like your photo setup - displays your pens beautifully!

Jim Becker
12-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Very nice pens and very nice photography. I agree that this position is very nice for when you want to photograph the pen/pencil without any other objects to support them. It's also much better for dealing with reflections.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Dan,

For someone who just started turning....you've come a long ways quick! Nice pens and great photography!

David Wilhelm
12-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Very well done, guess i'm going to have to break down and buy a camera......

Curt Fuller
12-30-2007, 12:22 PM
Beautiful pens! and an ingenious way to photograph them.

Dan Forman
12-30-2007, 4:51 PM
Thanks for the comments. i forgot to suggest that you sharpen one end of the paperclip BEFORE gluing it to the board, so that it has minimal impact on the fabric. DAMHIKT. I clipped it with some end nippers, and smoothed it a bit with a file.

Jon Lanier
12-30-2007, 5:05 PM
Great looking pictures, Dan.

michael gallagher
12-31-2007, 10:27 PM
Those are handsome pens, Dan. I appreciate your suggestion to me a week or so ago to try the Russ Fairfield method - I've watched that video about 6-7 times since with success. Now, if I can remember to charge up the camera I'll take a photo~

Robert Wachala
01-07-2008, 2:57 PM
Thanks for the tip with the paper clip. Just tried that out and works great!

Mike A. Smith
01-07-2008, 7:10 PM
Dan the pens are gorgeous and so are the photos. Every time I think I'm bored with pens you guys post some beauties that make me go back to them!

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-07-2008, 7:59 PM
Great pens AND a very unique and effective method of photographing them----Works well to me. The only thing about the pictures is that there are some shadows and some wrinkles in the fabric. This doesn't bother me, because I believe that it helps the three dimentional feel of the photos. There are those that feel that the background should totally disappear by being white and NO shadows. Not me, though.

Bruce