PDA

View Full Version : What to get next

Brian Triplett
02-24-2004, 11:41 AM
Questions for those more experienced than I, (namely ever one). As you know tax return time is here and I was wondering what tool I should get next. I am a beginner so I still do not have a lot of the basic tools. I have my choices are down to a jointer, a router table, a dust collection system, or a bandsaw. Some suggestions would be nice to help me make up my mind. For reference I have a few of the basic tools: a table saw, a mitersaw, a router, orbital sander, and a planer.

Thanks for your time.

Brian

Donnie Raines
02-24-2004, 11:48 AM
Brian..what tools do you own at this time?

DonnieR

Wolf Kiessling
02-24-2004, 11:56 AM
Questions for those more experienced than I, (namely ever one). As you know tax return time is here and I was wondering what tool I should get next. I am a beginner so I still do not have a lot of the basic tools. I have my choices are down to a jointer, a router table, a dust collection system, or a bandsaw. Some suggestions would be nice to help me make up my mind. For reference I have a few of the basic tools: a table saw, a mitersaw, a router, orbital sander, and a planer.

Thanks for your time.

Brian

The best recommendation I can make at this time, Brian, and I'm fully award that it's not on your list, is to buy and VB36 or Stubby lathe and then send to Duncan, OK, for evaluation, testing, break in, etc.... :D

John Weber
02-24-2004, 11:59 AM
Brian,

Tough call, you can make a simple router table with a sheet of plywood, mdf, etc... and a fence so I might hold off on that. Since you have a planer, a jointer would make good sense, they are usually used together to prep wood. A DC might be a decent purchase as well, but you really need low micron bags for health reasons. Finally if you do or plan on doing much curved work a band saw is the ticket (table tops, tenons, curved molding, resawing, and bowl blanks if you turn). Since you are just starting I guess I would lean toward the jointer, followed by the DC, and band saw. I think I would just make a simple router table for now and maybe something fancier later. I guess the key question is what do you plan to make next and what is your budget.

John

Glenn Clabo
02-24-2004, 12:02 PM
I know I may go against the norm...but a dust collection system would be what I'd recommend. I wish I had built my shop/s around one...instead of trying to always catch up. Your health is the most important thing that you have...and it get's more and more important as you get older. Besides it's safer and nicer to work in a clean shop.

Mike Cutler
02-24-2004, 12:04 PM
Brian. From the list of tools you posted I would pick the Jointer first, then the dust collection system, and then a Bandsaw. I wouldn't buy a router table. It's too easy to make a nicer one than you can buy and it is a great "beginner" project. The only reason I put the DC system 2nd was that DC systems seem to evlove over time, and it seems most people(Myself included in this group) start with a stand alone DC and then "graduate" to a cyclone system. Buy the biggest jointer you can afford, it may seem a waste now, but in the future when you begin to dimension your own lumber you'll immediately realize the benefit. For a bandsaw purchase I would suggest looking in the 16"-18" category and find one one with a 1 1/2hp motor or larger. For Dust collectors look to get at least an 1100cfm unit, if not larger and then replace the stock bags with some high effeciency bags from Highland Hardware or Rockler foe better filtration. My .02 FWIW

Tyler Howell
02-24-2004, 12:12 PM
I know I may go against the norm...but a dust collection system would be what I'd recommend. I wish I had built my shop/s around one...instead of trying to always catch up. Your health is the most important thing that you have...and it get's more and more important as you get older. Besides it's safer and nicer to work in a clean shop.
Glenn and I are on the same page. On a daily basis they are coming out with new environmental maladies from the things we breath, eat, and touch.:eek: You do all three with saw dust in a shop. Go for Clean air.

Jim Stastny
02-24-2004, 12:30 PM
Brian,

I go with the opinion that you should make your own router table. In fact you can even use a table saw extention wing as a router table by cutting an insert into it. Then you already have a built in fence.

So my recomendation for your next tool would be the jointer. I find it valuable for more than the obvious truing an edge or face. Aftger the jointer either the bandsaw or drill press.

Mike Scoggins
02-24-2004, 1:08 PM
Brian,

I would get set up with a router table, but, as several have already mentioned, I would build my own router table as opposed to purchasing one. The router table is an oft-used tool in my shop. There are few projects when it comes to flat work (e.g. furniture building, cabinets, etc.) where a router table is not needed.

You can build one just as good as (or better than) those you buy and utilize all the space underneath the table for storage, etc. by building a cabinet to house all your bits, router accessories, etc. But, before you build it, think it through and make some decisions that best suites you related to each of the following: (1) build the fence or buy it, (2) router lift or not, (3) which router table insert, (4) router table to be a stand-alone or in the table saw wing extension, (5) is stand alone, same height as table saw for dual use as outfeed table, etc., etc. Once you make these decisions, you can determine where best to spend your money. I'd get the stuff I need for the router table project first and then look at the other items on your list.

From a cost standpoint you can probably get set up with a good router table and a dust collector for the same price as a jointer.

As others have stated, think about the type of work you intend to do and let that drive your decision. I've obviously made some assumptions that you will be doing some flatwork in what I've suggested. Think through that "To Do List" in your head regarding the next 3-5 projects you want to tackle and think about the tools you'll need to complete them and let that be a driver in your decision. It's really nice to have the right tool for the job?

Mike

Jack Diemer
02-24-2004, 1:41 PM
A third vote for Dust Collection and airfiltration

I would recommend going straight to a cyclone with 6 inch pipe (especially if you have a basement shop). You will eventually get there anyhow. If you do woodworking in the garage, at least invest in a good mask. If you do the dust collection up front, you will enjoy woodworking even more because you have less mess to clean up, and you aren't breathing in toxic air.

As for the router table thing, I would look real hard at a shaper (Grizzly has the best prices). By the time you add all the cool stuff to a router table (incra jig, fence, router lift, 3.5 HP router, top, cabinet), you end up with basic functionality of a shaper. Food for thought.

Robert Ducharme
02-24-2004, 2:24 PM
I also believe the DC is the best choice. Stand alone (upgrade bags) or cyclone. This is one of those safety first items although it is really painful to put out the money without seeing a direct effect on wood working output.

Also agree - make your own router table

After DC, go bandsaw then jointer. The bandsaw would be useful in more than just prepping wood from scratch but it is difficult to prep wood from scratch without it (especially if planning on resawing or veneering).

Chris Padilla
02-24-2004, 3:10 PM
I'd suggest adjusting your tax withholdings so that you do not get a return in the first place! :) Don't let Uncle Sam get interest free money on your behalf! :)

I routinely owe $100-500 with careful tax planning.

Otherwise, look into Dust Collection. It isn't cheap nor is it very much fun (like a new TS or BS or something) but I look forward to a clean shop one of these days. Check out Bill Pentz's site for more than you ever cared to learn about DC:

http://cnets.net/~eclectic/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Brian Triplett
02-25-2004, 1:06 PM
I do believe I will look into the dust collector. I guess safety should come first. Its like they tell us at work, "if it can not be done safety it should not be done."

Thanks for your time guys.

Brian

Steven Wilson
02-25-2004, 1:52 PM
Invest the money, buy tools when you need them; tax returns and tool buying should not be linked.

Charles McKinley
02-25-2004, 8:15 PM
Step one: Pay off credit cards.

If there is no credit card debt then go with the DC.

Just my thoughts.

Lloyd Robins
02-25-2004, 9:38 PM
How about a couple of Knight planes, a few Nishiki chisels, and a couple of Adria saws? (Oops, wrong forum) In that case I like the idea of a good dust collecting system. I have a small one that is not quite adequate, but it is hard to think of changing it now that it is in and kind of works.