PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection Question

Donnie Raines
02-24-2004, 11:39 AM
Ok...I have the Jet 1200 dust collector. Currently, I have 5 runs. Off one line of the collector are the following: band saw(16 inch), 15 inch planer, and an 8 Inch jointer and my 22/44 drum sander...the longest run is 18 feet. Off the second line of the collector I have just my table saw(the way my collector is postioned in the shop it is a direct feed to the table saw) and if I was to run other lines off, I would have hoses and "stuff" in the way on the floor. All the runs have 4inch PVC except the elbows I used some flexable hose....and the lines that comes directly off the dust collector are the flexable hose. There are blast gates at each machine. Also, the way it is set up now(as listed above) it works very well....no issues at all.

My question: I am going to buy a floor model spindle sander, which will be located 22 feet from the collector. The "cleanest/easiest" run will be to "T" off the line that currently feeds 5 units. Will this be a problem? I would hate to add this run and then loose lots of suction(..if not obvious..I am not very "dust collection savvy"). thanks in advance for your comments.

DonnieR

Byron Trantham
02-24-2004, 11:55 AM
Donnie, I have a similar DC setup. I got a Jet spindle sander for Christmas and did not hook it up to my DC system. I use by Festool shop vac instead. Why? Because most of the dust created by a spindle sander is very fine and my shop vac worked very well.

One note tough, if you elect to attach yours to the DC system, don't "T" off the line "Y" off the line. "T" connections don't work well in DC systems.

Here's a pic of mine. Note that the saw dust you see on the table was generated BEFORE I finished the connection.

John Weber
02-24-2004, 12:05 PM
I think I would just extend the closest line. I have a 40' run to my Performax 16/32 and it works great. That line also has branches to my jointer, table saw, edge sander, and planer. All have blast gates and "Y" connections. I use a Delta 1200 cfm DC with low micron bags and 4" smooth bore flex.

John

Donnie Raines
02-24-2004, 12:16 PM
I have one "T" in the system right now....what problems should I be experiencing....because I have no issues at this time? thanks for the tips thus far.

DonnieR

Chris Padilla
02-24-2004, 12:20 PM
Tees don't allow good air movement and will acutally degrade the performance of your system. They create turbelence at that junction.

Take the trouble to replace the tee with a wye and you might notice a difference. With air movement, you always want gentle curves (no hard 90s...you need long sweeping 90s) and to ease in any transitions wherever possible.

Donnie Raines
02-24-2004, 12:29 PM
Tees don't allow good air movement and will acutally degrade the performance of your system. They create turbelence at that junction.

Take the trouble to replace the tee with a wye and you might notice a difference. With air movement, you always want gentle curves (no hard 90s...you need long sweeping 90s) and to ease in any transitions wherever possible.
Thanks Chris......makes sense....I will install a "Y".....thanks again.

Don

Fred Voorhees
02-24-2004, 9:25 PM
Donny, like another poster or maybe two, I would consider using a shop vac type of hookup. I have the Jet spindle sander and I will probably be using my shop vac for dust collection with this machine rather than my Oneida system.

Dale Thompson
02-24-2004, 10:31 PM
Donny, like another poster or maybe two, I would consider using a shop vac type of hookup. I have the Jet spindle sander and I will probably be using my shop vac for dust collection with this machine rather than my Oneida system.

Donnie,
I'm with Fred and Bryon on this one. Use your shop vac. It will work much better for you. Someone should write a thesis on suction (shop vacs) vs. volume (dust collectors). Suffice it to say at this point that anytime you REDUCE your pickup pipe size to a machine, a dust collector becomes VERY inefficient. A shop vac, on the other hand will work harder to maintain its suction.

They are totally different pneumatic concepts. Shop vacs are great for certain application and terrible at others. Likewise, dust collectors share the same limitations. Spindle sanders are an application for SUCTION! Just a thought!

Incidentally, creating turbulence in your pneumatic system actually INCREASES efficiency. The friction loss in "turbulent" flow is considerably less than that in "laminar" flow. AW! What do I know??

Dale T.

Michael Perata
02-25-2004, 12:27 AM
Donnie,
I'm with Fred and Bryon on this one. Use your shop vac.
Dale T.

Put me in the Shop Vac crowd. While I don't have a spindle sander, I have a Delta 12" disk sander that I hook my shop vac to. Works great and is a lot more convenient than trying to drag a 4" hose over to the connection.

Donnie Raines
02-25-2004, 8:29 AM
The unit that I am going to buy is the floor model Shop Fox sander. It has a 4 inch port loacted near the top back side. Around the spindle there are holes which allow the fine dust to drop down via the suction of the dust collection. Each of the "throat inserts" also have holes that permit dust to fall through.

Thanks for the input guys...I should have stated the above info in original post.

DonnieR

Terry Hatfield
02-25-2004, 8:42 AM
DR,

I personally would run a DC drop to the sander since it has a 4" port. The shop vac would work much better on smaller ports, but with the 4" port the DC will do great on the sander.

Let me thow a big 'ole monkey wrench in the works here....

You know you would have a much better system if you had 6" ducts don't you??? :eek: Sorry, I just had to say it. 6" is really the way to go as long as the DC can support it and the 1200 certainly will. Just a thought. :)

Terry

Donnie Raines
02-25-2004, 9:06 AM
DR,

I personally would run a DC drop to the sander since it has a 4" port. The shop vac would work much better on smaller ports, but with the 4" port the DC will do great on the sander.

Let me thow a big 'ole monkey wrench in the works here....

You know you would have a much better system if you had 6" ducts don't you??? :eek: Sorry, I just had to say it. 6" is really the way to go as long as the DC can support it and the 1200 certainly will. Just a thought. :)

Terry
I know that now.......but I did not know that when I first installed the system a year or so back. We are building a house(..and a nice big deatached shop(40X40)) and I will be useing 6 inch PVC then(sorry..with all this talk of guys shops..its been hard holding backon my "new shop to be".... :D :D ).

I am going to just do the 4 inch outlet and see what happens....what cost to much and heck if it does not work...I will let everyone know.

thanks T

DonnieR

Jim Becker
02-25-2004, 9:58 AM
We are building a house(..and a nice big deatached shop(40X40))

(Nice stealth gloat...) Do we get to help you plan the shop? :D

Donnie Raines
02-25-2004, 10:18 AM
(Nice stealth gloat...) Do we get to help you plan the shop? :D
Are you kidding me! I would have to come up with a cool million if I took all the idea's shared with me and implemeted them...I would get so excited with all the idea's that I would pass out. I have been flying below the radar with this one so that "that" would not happen......I am putting alot of thought into this one, however. And I am sure there will be "things" that will come up that the masses can particpate in. ;)

BTW...I am going to be visiting Scott Phillips wood shop in about 2 weeks(he is located lesss then 2 hours from me). I hear his shop has lots of "extras" and I am curious to see what he has.

DonnieR

Chris Padilla
02-25-2004, 5:53 PM
We're curious, too, Donnie! Don't hold back on us...we'll know! :)

Jim Becker
02-25-2004, 11:06 PM
BTW...I am going to be visiting Scott Phillips wood shop in about 2 weeks(he is located lesss then 2 hours from me). I hear his shop has lots of "extras" and I am curious to see what he has.

Take copious notes so you can report back to us in detail...and if his "body guards" allow, take pictures! <G> (Not that he needs them...he's a lot bigger than he looks on TV)