PDA

View Full Version : the things oner doesn't know~~~

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-29-2007, 7:06 PM
I was unaware that the one sole exception to all the airport security measures was the class of individuals who may present the greatest probability of having persons interested in breaking the system.

http://jetlagged.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/12/28/the-airport-security-follies/index.html

Jim Becker
12-29-2007, 7:39 PM
As someone who logged nearly 100K air miles in 2007, I can relate a lot to some of the things brought out in that piece. That said, my biggest gripe with the system is the number of folks who travel and don't pay attention to the rules until they are at the conveyor belt. And while a healthy number of these folks might be on their first flight ever or in a long time, there is a good percentage who have been through the airports a number of times based on a variety of physical evidence, including FF and airline club tags. When I get to that point, my pockets and person are devoid of metal and electronics, my coat is off an ready to put in the bin, my zip-lock bag with my assortment of 3oz containers is in my hand and my computer bag zipper is open, ready for my machine to go in its bin for the trip through the scanner. Instead, I have to wait and wait while the people in front of me fumble through things and have to re-submit their bags because they didn't take their PC out and left their money in their pocket. D'oh!

Bruce Page
12-29-2007, 7:52 PM
As someone who logged nearly 100K air miles in 2007, I can relate a lot to some of the things brought out in that piece. That said, my biggest gripe with the system is the number of folks who travel and don't pay attention to the rules until they are at the conveyor belt. And while a healthy number of these folks might be on their first flight ever or in a long time, there is a good percentage who have been through the airports a number of times based on a variety of physical evidence, including FF and airline club tags. When I get to that point, my pockets and person are devoid of metal and electronics, my coat is off an ready to put in the bin, my zip-lock bag with my assortment of 3oz containers is in my hand and my computer bag zipper is open, ready for my machine to go in its bin for the trip through the scanner. Instead, I have to wait and wait while the people in front of me fumble through things and have to re-submit their bags because they didn't take their PC out and left their money in their pocket. D'oh!
I wouldn’t have put it so tactfully Jim!
It drives me nuts!

Bryan Rocker
12-29-2007, 9:47 PM
I don't have quite that many miles but I do about 12 business trips a year and I can't tell you the number of times I have seen people try and take the damndest things throught security checkpoints, including razor blades stuck in a man's wallet (Atlanta) numerous liquid refreshment bottles some open, some not. Some airports are quick about it while some are OMG slow. The local Dayton airport is very quick and the longest wait I have had going through the lines was 10 minutes. I can not say that for Atlanta, LAX, Houston or Seattle.

Mike Cutler
12-29-2007, 9:56 PM
Jim

I have to go through the same security screening, and machines at work everyday.

What's truly amazing is that it's the same people, doing that same thing, everyday!! You'd think after 200 times a year they'd get a clue.

Richard Dooling
12-30-2007, 2:13 PM
These are the same people who wait until the grocery store cashier has totaled up all 150 of their items before fumbling around for cash or even better, a totally blank check. "And could I borrow a pen please?" It's as if it is a suprise that there is an exchange of money required at check out. Then again I'm also so fond of the exact change kings and queens who take forever to find exactly 98 cents rather than break a one.

There. Now I feel better.:o

James Jaragosky
12-31-2007, 10:16 PM
After sept 11 I had the opportunity to do some work at a two major airports.
The top side security is a joke; if you consider that I was able to carry my rather large tool box past the back gate security without ever having anyone look inside it.
Also if you work there regularly you can drive right in, they only stop a few cars out of hundreds a day. It should scare the hell out of you. The stuff the passengers go through is all show IMO.
I use to walk all over the runway once in and go up to the concourse and back down without any hassle.
O-Well rant over
Jim j.