PDA

View Full Version : For a few dollars more (bandsaw purchase whine)

Billy Chambless
12-29-2007, 6:02 PM
So, as a Christmas gift, the LOML hands me a check and tells me to get something for myself. Since I already had my eye on a Grizzly GO555, it seemed like a no-brainer.

Until I looked closely at the GO555X. For only $200 more: Cast iron wheels, more power... only a couple hundred more. Okay, so the "X" becomes the new "no-brainer".

Then I noticed that the GO513 is only $750 in the 2008 catalog. Even MORE power, no need for a riser block... just what I need for resawing all that oak and maple.

But, for only $200 more, I can get the GO5132X, with the cast-iron wheels and...

Does it ever end?

Mike Marcade
12-29-2007, 6:05 PM
Come on now ... you know that is Grizzly's business model.

Billy Chambless
12-29-2007, 6:12 PM
Yeah, they're a sneaky bunch that way.

I could happily settle for a 14" saw if I didn't have a ton of resawing that i hope to do very soon. It looks like the 513 will be the best compromise of price, capability, and weight -- my current "shop" is inside the house, and whaever I buy will have to be wrestled down the hallway. ;)

glenn bradley
12-29-2007, 6:22 PM
G0513X owner here. The addition of the cast iron trunnions (the birth of the X2) due to consumer demand is your windfall. The steel trunnions work great and I would dive on the closeout of the G0513X. The footprint is just a fraction of an inch greater than my old 12" C-man and what a saw. ;-)

Steve Rowe
12-29-2007, 6:22 PM
Ahh - A Few Dollars More, they made a movie about that. Seems like a lot of villans and shooting were involved.:D
Steve

Wade Lippman
12-29-2007, 6:55 PM
It would be a serious mistake not to step up to the 514x.
Seriously.

scott spencer
12-29-2007, 6:56 PM
...Does it ever end?

In a word...."no". But then again, there's always the "not me, not now" approach, which is equally unattractive towards both situations implied here! :D

keith ouellette
12-29-2007, 8:08 PM
I have just been going over this the last couple of days. I started with the go457 and slowly worked up to the GO513x2. I forbid myself from turning the page. The go513x2 comes with the resaw fence ($89 extra to put it on the 513). Then there are the cast iron wheels and trunnion. Does that account for the 72 lb weight difference or is there other differences?
I am hoping for one good job to help pay for it.

Don Bullock
12-29-2007, 8:14 PM
...Does it ever end?

Definately not. the LOML has already decided that I'l never have all the tools that I "need." Enjoy, which ever one you choose.;):D That's what's most important.

Jim Becker
12-29-2007, 10:55 PM
Go for the "X"....or it will never end! :D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-29-2007, 11:32 PM

"Go for the Dos X's" and tomorrow you'll wish it will end!:eek::rolleyes::D

Roy Wall
12-29-2007, 11:58 PM
Does it ever end?

Sure it does....... Oliver 116d, or a Tannewitz 36", or a Yates American 36" -- all 1940 to 1960 models.

No need for any more saw than these.......:cool:

Don Bullock
12-30-2007, 12:08 AM
I'd add tell the LOML that I wanted to add just a few more dollars and get a Euroshop/Agazzani 24" band saw. ;):D I saw one that Eagle Tools had on display at a woodworking show. Now, that's a band saw.:eek:

Wilbur Pan
12-30-2007, 12:08 AM
Does it ever end?
Yes, but only if you jump straight to a MiniMax, Agazzani, or some other equivalent bandsaw. ;)

Of course, you could always take the used route and look for one of these:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/141/341843946_08f69fc49b.jpg

The Grizzly X model bandsaws may have cast iron wheels, but my 50-something year old 16" Walker-Turner bandsaw has cast iron wheel covers. And, I picked it up for the princely sum of $300. ;)

Billy Chambless
12-30-2007, 9:35 AM
Ahh - A Few Dollars More, they made a movie about that. Seems like a lot of villans and shooting were involved.:D
Steve

Yeah, that was a classic, featuring the enigmatic Man with No Plane.

William OConnell
12-30-2007, 10:51 AM

I agree 100 percent. I bought a minimax after much thought and am glad I did. Buy the best saw you can afford. The Grizzly x is a great buy and you get alot of saw for your money. Buy once cry once:)

Jim Becker
12-30-2007, 11:36 AM
"Go for the Dos X's" and tomorrow you'll wish it will end!

Yea, Dos Equis is one of the few mass-produced products of that type that I like...but one shouldn't be cutting wood with it involved.

As to the saw choice...sometimes it's worth waiting an extra month or three to be able to afford the beefier machine. In the long run, the extra cost isn't really noticeable, but the things you "can't do" with the lesser machine will haunt you. I know that you went the way I suggest and I'm willing to bet you're happy you did. Which is why I also made the suggestion to the OP...:)

Ken Fitzgerald
12-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Yea, Dos Equis is one of the few mass-produced products of that type that I like...but one shouldn't be cutting wood with it involved.

Jim....as a former avid elk hunter.....There were 6 of us setting wall tents and using mules for packing. Though all guns were loaded in camp...none would have a chambered round. We never imbibed until the end of the day. I was the "big" drinker in camp. One evening after hunting...I had 2 beers. I don't drink and woodwork either!

As to the saw choice...sometimes it's worth waiting an extra month or three to be able to afford the beefier machine. In the long run, the extra cost isn't really noticeable, but the things you "can't do" with the lesser machine will haunt you. I know that you went the way I suggest and I'm willing to bet you're happy you did. Which is why I also made the suggestion to the OP...:)

I haven't had the time or the need to set up the MM-16 yet. As you know I"m getting ready to retire in a few years. I wanted to buy 1 saw ....1 time.....and have my 2 sons argue over it in 20 years or so...that and what Mini-Max did for Steve when his roof got caved in by snow last year.....two best reasons I could see to buy MM. Next on my list is to purchase the hanging materials for the DC duct and get the Onieda installed. Then the b/s gets new high quality blades and a complete MD "go through" and alignment.

Billy Chambless
12-30-2007, 12:19 PM

Well, we certainly agree on the Dos Equis... and about waiting to afford the "beefier machine". The only problem with the latter is the slippery slope: one goes from considering a cheap 14" saw to a beefy 14" saw to a 17" to... well, a reductio ad absurdum takes one to a point of never actually buying anything (which may have its merits!).

At this point, I'm leaning strongly toward the 2X... though someone did send me a PM about a used 19" Shop Fox, which I'm seriously considering.

Chuck Burns
12-31-2007, 4:22 AM
No it never ends.

My wife calls it the "auto bump program".

For "a few dollars more" turns into "well if I'm spending that much I might as well spend a little more and get...."

No it never ends. But it's fun.

Richard Dragin
12-31-2007, 8:06 AM
I went through the same thing, stopped at the 0513X. Really happy with it and I don't covet the X2 since it came out so, no regrets here.

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-31-2007, 5:52 PM
YEH, it can end. Look at the Rikon 18" - It's a honey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce