PDA

View Full Version : dUST PORT FOR dELTA 14IN BANDSAW

robert hainstock
12-29-2007, 5:19 PM
i'M looking for a dust collection port for my Delta 14in bandsaw. They wer not available when I bought the saw many uears ago. My dust collector is a very large shopvac. THis is all I can afford but I'd like to remove the dust as I saw. HELP???:(
Bob

glenn bradley
12-29-2007, 6:45 PM
My dad has a 1950's Delta and the plan is to cut a hole in the lower blade cover. I would not go cutting into the cast iron. JMHO. I would go ahead and make it a 4" port and add an adapter till you get a DC. Better than having to do it again down the road.

Dick Strauss
12-29-2007, 9:22 PM
Robert,
My Delta BS came with a 4" port cast into the base. I turned an adapter to convert the 4" hole to a 2.5" one for my shop vac. It doesn't collect much dust. The problem is that the whole perimeter of the bottom wheel leaks too much air. If you were to put some weatherstripping all around, you'd stand a better chance of success.

I've seen the plans to cut a 4" (or 2.5" hole in your case) in the bottom door. I don't think it will be worth the effort unless you seal the perimeter.

Good luck,
Dick

Andy Pedler
12-29-2007, 11:42 PM
My dust collector is a very large shopvac. THis is all I can afford but I'd like to remove the dust as I saw. HELP???:(
Bob

I have a 14" bandsaw as well and no dust collector in the shop. I've found that since the blade is moving down, most of the dust gets pushed below the table where the blade runs. So I've started clamping my shop vac hose just below the table as close to the blade as possible (it winds up being a few inches away). It doesn't get all the dust, but I feel that it is a considerable improvement. You might try that.

BTW, for Christmas my folks got me a magnetic base LED light designed for use on a stainless steel BBQ grill. However, I have plenty of practice grilling in the dark and discovered that it makes a perfect bandsaw light. It sits on the table and has a gooseneck light that wraps around where ever I want it.

Happy New Year!

Andy - Newark, CA