PDA

View Full Version : Turning frozen wood......

Ken Fitzgerald
12-29-2007, 4:35 PM
I've got some maple that was cut green...sealed and has been residing outside in the freezing weather.........

Should I place it in the shop overnight before turning it.....

anyone have any experience?

Thanks!

Bill Bolen
12-29-2007, 4:55 PM
Ken...I did that with a chunk of Hickory last year. Other than my hands freezing turned about the same..Bill

Steve Schlumpf
12-29-2007, 4:59 PM
Sounds like a great chance for an experiment! Put one in the shop overnight and see how it turns - then grab one from the woodpile and see how that turns. Curious if there would be any difference at all.

Scott Donley
12-29-2007, 5:32 PM
Ken, PM me for my address and send it to me and I will try it so you don't waste your time :) All the Maple I have turned has been dry,some outside and frozen over time, with no problems. Might be different with green wood . Good luck and let s know. Have a great New Year !

William Bachtel
12-29-2007, 6:58 PM
frozen wood might fling less water in your face.

Brian Weick
12-29-2007, 7:07 PM
I say ~ go for it,I can't see that there would be any problem turning it.
let us know how you make out?
Brian

Doug Thompson
12-29-2007, 7:09 PM
Frozen green wood turns very well, I wear a glove when roughing because your hand does get cold. If you happen to around the shop the night before bring it in, don't make a special trip.

In the winter I soak the blanks with water so the outside has a coating of ice... no problems so far. Well once in a while they do get stuck to the ground or the deck.:D

David Fried
12-29-2007, 7:17 PM
I turn frozen green wood all winter. Of course, it's the same temperature in the shop so it never defrosts!

Let us know how it turns out.

Bernie Weishapl
12-29-2007, 8:56 PM
Ken I have turned frozen wood and most with no problems.

Bubba Davis
12-30-2007, 2:17 PM
Ken make a frozen goblet and send it to me so wife can have a glass of white wine.

Steve Campbell
12-30-2007, 2:43 PM
Ken it's funny you should ask that. Just this morning I went out and got a chunk of frozen birch to turn. If anything it seemed to turn smoother. The only problem I had was I didn't have a pair of gloves in the shop. Trust me you will need them. I had to quit turning and come upstairs and warm my hands up. I'll try again after the Packer game.
Steve