PDA

View Full Version : Storing and maintaining rasps and files

greg Forster
12-29-2007, 4:28 PM
Having made an investment in wood rasps and files, I would appreciate some advice on the use and care of these tools.

mike holden
12-29-2007, 5:32 PM
greg,
Store them so the working surfaces dont bang against anything, neat drawers with wooden separators work and look great, but, simpler and less space hogging is to simply fold a piece of cardboard in half and staple one side and end to make a sleeve to protect them.
Preferably put a handle on each one, or get an adjustable handle and USE IT! the tang will go into your palm without a pause, and it WILL HURT!
I was taught to never draw them backwards across the material you are working, kind of like not pulling a handplane backwards - why? I dont know, but it has become a habit, and it cant hurt.
Let the tool do the work, especially rasps, they will cut faster, and cleaner, and with better control if you apply just enough pressure to keep them engaged.
If you find them clogging, clean them and rub some chalk across the teeth and try again - you will find that the clogging is much reduced.
Cleaning them - for years (over 20) I used a file card (metal wire teeth) to clean my Nicholson rasps - then I bought some Arious and the recommendation was a stiff brush. The stiff brush works. I still use the file card for files.
You will find them incredibly useful, and with experience, quite precise.
Enjoy,
Mike

Dave Cav
12-29-2007, 10:58 PM
One of the most useful things I have in my shop is an inexpensive sewing machine from Target. One of the first things I made was a set of denim rolls for my files, with a separate sleeve for each file. I have one roll for big files and rasps (mostly flat), one for small/square/round files, and one just for chain saw files. I used some scrap paisley denim that was left over from one of my wife's dog bed projects so the cost was nothing. I'm always finding something to fix or make with that sewing machine.

Mike Henderson
12-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Like Dave, I made a cloth roll for my files and rasps. I'm not that great on a sewing machine but I can do a tool roll.

I made mine out of a piece I cut off a paint drop cloth. I made it like a chisel roll with pockets on both sides so the roll is balanced when rolled up. No matter which way you put the files and rasps in the pockets (handle first, or file/rasp first) there's an equal number of handles on each side which makes an even rollup. Single sided rolls wind up bigger on one side because of the handles.

Mike

glenn bradley
12-30-2007, 12:13 AM
I used some leftover Naugahyde for mine. Anything that will keep them from banging together. I also keep a couple small bags of desiccant in the drawer where they're kept. Silica gel packs or whatever. I do the same for many drawer-stored tools.

Larry Conely
12-30-2007, 8:30 PM
I ikeep my files in drawers. I cut a false bottom for each drawer, The top one I hot glued dividers onto the bottom. This was fast and can be easily changed. The second drawer is still waiting for dividers.

Larry

Larry Conely
12-30-2007, 8:32 PM
...forgot the pics...

Bruce Page
12-30-2007, 9:05 PM
Greg, this was talked about a few months ago. My thoughts are in the 7th post down. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=66132

John-Paul Murphy
01-02-2008, 11:09 PM
I personally do not like the roll for any of my tools unless I am traveling. It is inconvenient. I use it for the ones I do not use very much. I cut slots in a board and have them hanging there and spaced far enough apart so they do not bang around. I used the particular file to make its own slot. I do not keep metal files with wood working files. I don’t want the metal filings getting into the wood and messing up a chisel or plane. I wipe them down when finished and keep them away from moisture.
I take care of mine the same as any other hand tool with a sharp edge. IMHO chucking them on top of each other would be like piling all you planes and chisels together in a box. If you don’t use them much it’s probably no big deal.
If I had a few spare drawers I would like to have a set up like Larry but you make do with the room you have.

Steve Sawyer
01-04-2008, 9:53 AM
I ikeep my files in drawers.

Nice collection, there Larry!

I put a set of Gramercy cabinet maker's rasps on my Christmas "wish list", but they were #3 - behind the Veritas shoulder plane and the Gramercy dovetail saw, and the LOML didn't get that far down the list :rolleyes:.

Maybe next year...