PDA

View Full Version : You have to view this - Idiot of the year

Frank Corker
12-29-2007, 8:01 AM
Lisa Burger just emailed me this clip on a youtube type site. It really beggars belief! I don't think this comes under the responsible type but hey....
this guy lasers his fingernails - as can been seen someone else has done his also, they look like two different thumbs.

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2007/12/laser_engraving_fingernai.html (http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2007/12/laser_engraving_fingernai.html)

Garry McKinney
12-29-2007, 8:16 AM
There a moron born every min.

Luke Phillips
12-29-2007, 8:35 AM
Dunno - might be on to something here - body modification is big business - glad the photo was only the fingernails though!;)

Larry Bratton
12-29-2007, 9:14 AM
Frank:
Those guys sounded like they were English fellows. Must have a shortage of paying laser work in the UK, is that true?:) I am never ceased to be amazed at what some people will do TO themselves.

James Jaragosky
12-29-2007, 11:46 AM
Just watch a rugby game.
Also I saw a video clip once, of some English men naked from the waist down in a pub with toilet paper hanging from their behind’s, on fire, running hurdle races over the pub chairs.
It may be all that room temperature beer.

Tony Lenkic
12-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Just watch a rugby game.
Also I saw a video clip once, of some English men naked from the waist down in a pub with toilet paper hanging from their behind’s, on fire, running hurdle races over the pub chairs.
It may be all that room temperature beer.

James,
An event like that would draw huge audiance in summer Olympics in China.

Anthony Scira
12-29-2007, 12:10 PM
Heck set one up in a mall and after the etching put some paint in it.

I can see getting some big bucks !

OK maybe not !

Frank Corker
12-29-2007, 12:41 PM
Excuse me!!! Don't you be knocking our favourite past time in the pubs. I find it odd that you guys don't do it! Actually the guys sounded to me like they were Kiwi's or South African

Micheal Donnellan
12-29-2007, 12:45 PM
good colour definition on the right one, his mate must have moved for the left one

Chad Voller
12-29-2007, 1:02 PM
According to the spelling of the months, those two guys are German, or possibly from some Eastern European county. I'm sure many countries might share that spelling.

I thought of futuristic branding using lasers instead of a hot piece of steel. I wonder how scarring would hold the detail on skin, or if it'd be all blurred.... But I'm sure that laser manufacturer would not be in cahoots with any of it. Read their warning labels plasted all over that machine, not to let direct exposure to the skin or eyes. Not on my list of experimental projects.

Jerry Allen
12-29-2007, 1:09 PM
Good thing it's on the nail--on the skin would be more painful and permanent. Maybe they should try someting like Cermark and create a new tattoo method. A cross between branding and tattooing. Just make sure to wear goggles and have the bucket of ice water ready. Maybe some local anesthetic...

Jerry Allen
12-29-2007, 1:13 PM
PS, Frank:
I've read you folks are experiencing a shortage of mistletoe. I'd have a lot and you are welcome to fly to California and collect all you want for free. Bring your cherry picker or similar lift.

Rick Gifford
12-29-2007, 4:21 PM
My favorite line "Where is the off button... just in case?"

Where is the Off Button???? :eek:

Talk about shooting from the hip.

Kim Vellore
12-29-2007, 4:40 PM
I think this is on to something. just imagine it as a part of manicure business where you could engrave your pet's or boyfriend's picture on the nail, or go fancier have two coats of different nail polish colors and have a colored image. you can cover the skin with any metal tape. Just make sure you have the right power and get the liabilities papers signed off. How about lasering tattoo next?

Kim

Frank Corker
12-29-2007, 8:46 PM
Cnt reply propedy at minit - taping handes to cuttiiiiiiiiiing vectorrr grid

Bob Cole
12-29-2007, 9:46 PM
"This won't hurt a bit."

Bill Cunningham
12-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Yup!! That certainly seems like a idea that started with "Hey!! Hold my beer and watch this!!":D

The bottom part of that 2008 must have hurt a bit!!!

Thad Nickoley
12-29-2007, 11:35 PM
Thats great, I love the "hey, hold my beer" part...

That reminds me, where did my beer go??

Skip Weiser
12-29-2007, 11:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHXof6vScMc

I guess judging from the audio on this clip, it's Alvin and the chipmunks marking Dave's hand with a laser.

It isn't as good as Frank's fingernail vid link, but this also shows how "progressive" some people are.

Skip

Wil Lambert
12-30-2007, 7:03 AM
Coming from being involved in the modification industry for many years this is very progressive. Yes it is possible that this could have went terribly wrong but the only way to progress is to try. If people don't experiment nothing will change. This is true for any industry.

This is inline with the discussion on laser branding. I believe you will see this being tried soon. If people are already trying it on nails the skin is next. I have been curious for years is it could be done. Personally it is not for my body but I hope someone tries it out to see the results.

Wil

James Stokes
12-30-2007, 9:36 AM
I have a class 4 open bed laser. Having spent most of my adult life as a tilesetter, I got a sliver of tile in my knee. Every time I tried to dig it out with a needle it would bleed to much and I could never get it out. Every time I crawled around on a concrete slab for a few days it would get very sore. One day I decided I had had enough, I went out and propped my leg up on the laser, moved the head above my knee and started pulsing it. I can set my laser to only pulse one time every time I press the button. I burned the skin around the sliver about half way down before I quit. That was about 6 years ago, It has never bothered me again.

Ricky Gore
12-30-2007, 1:27 PM
That's funny, I passed a nail salon while on vacation, and I wondered if it would work, lasering Merry Christmas on your nails. I think it might look nice if you painted the nail and etched the nail polish off. Of course a flare up might be a problem. :)
Maybe paint it with green polish and then red, and etch the red off to reveal the green, etc.... You could build a jig and a velcro strap to hold the finger in place. Then again, you could just find some real work to do..

Happy New Year All

Scott Shepherd
12-30-2007, 2:00 PM
No need to do all that, they already have ink jet printers for fingernails. You place your finger in it and it prints whatever you want on it. Probably a lot better looking and a lot less smelly burning finger nail smell going on.

Frank Corker
12-30-2007, 4:26 PM
Hey Steve, looks like some of your 'strange' habits creeping out again :D

Kim Haubert
12-30-2007, 8:34 PM
What does Photograv say are the settings for flesh?

AL Ursich
12-30-2007, 8:56 PM
Yes, I was the bad influence on Lisa sending her that video.... Bad Boy....

Found it on EE. Posted by Robert Bosworth
http://engravingetc.org/members/index.php?webtag=MEMBERS_AREA&msg=1808.1 (http://engravingetc.org/members/index.php?webtag=MEMBERS_AREA&msg=1808.1)

David Takes found the source I think.

For anyone who wants to get in touch with the troubled engraver, here is his contact information in Berlin. He may have some tips for engraving other body parts or for laser hair removal.
Martin Bauer
GerichtstraBe 23
13347 Berlin
030.231 30 730
mail@laserlasern.de (mail@laserlasern.de)

Scott Shepherd
12-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Hey Steve, looks like some of your 'strange' habits creeping out again :D

After a few pints of Newcastle there's not much I can't be talked into :D

Jason Roehl
12-31-2007, 8:52 AM
I just got a kick out of how the vBulletin software says, "Attached Thumbnails"...

A bit odd, I'd say.

Scott Shepherd
12-31-2007, 9:45 AM
Frank, I'm sure you're curious by now so here's a link to the product. Make sure you check out the gallery.

http://www.imaginail.com/nailfashionprinter.htm

Frank Corker
12-31-2007, 5:49 PM
Wow, very clever. I thought you were still kidding.

Lisa Walter
01-02-2008, 8:01 PM
Yes, I was the bad influence on Lisa sending her that video.... Bad Boy....

Found it on EE. Posted by Robert Bosworth
http://engravingetc.org/members/index.php?webtag=MEMBERS_AREA&msg=1808.1 (http://engravingetc.org/members/index.php?webtag=MEMBERS_AREA&msg=1808.1)

David Takes found the source I think.

For anyone who wants to get in touch with the troubled engraver, here is his contact information in Berlin. He may have some tips for engraving other body parts or for laser hair removal.
Martin Bauer
GerichtstraBe 23
13347 Berlin
030.231 30 730
mail@laserlasern.de (mail@laserlasern.de)

It's true. Al was the bad influence on me ;)

Actually, he sent me the video and all I saw was nail engraving and I popped off an email to him telling him I had the same idea and then I watched the video realizing it wasn't what I was thinking! I had thought about trying the fake nails to see what I could do......didn't realize that guy put his hands in there. I was involved in the safety dept. at the manufacturing plant I worked at for over 16 years and my heart went into my throat when I saw what that guy was doing. My next thought was of my husband who has been dying to stick a chicken leg into my laser to see what happens........MEN! :)

Lisa

James Jaragosky
01-02-2008, 8:10 PM
It's true. Al was the bad influence on me ;)

Actually, he sent me the video and all I saw was nail engraving and I popped off an email to him telling him I had the same idea and then I watched the video realizing it wasn't what I was thinking! I had thought about trying the fake nails to see what I could do......didn't realize that guy put his hands in there. I was involved in the safety dept. at the manufacturing plant I worked at for over 16 years and my heart went into my throat when I saw what that guy was doing. My next thought was of my husband who has been dying to stick a chicken leg into my laser to see what happens........MEN! :)

Lisa damm i never thought to put the WHOLE leg in!!!

ill brb i got an idea.:D

Kim Haubert
01-02-2008, 9:20 PM
How do you get the chicken to stay still? Vise grips?

Bill Cunningham
01-03-2008, 9:48 PM
Hmmm and I thought they just used white mice for experimenting.. But , I guess thats a safety issue too!! If you laser one, and it bursts into flames, you have to grab it pretty quick before it runs someplace into the wall :eek: Try explaining 'that' to your insurance company:D

Lisa Walter
01-03-2008, 10:06 PM
How do you get the chicken to stay still? Vise grips?

You call a foul? (fowl)

I know I know.........I'll go back to my corner now haha!

I think my hubby wanted to put a drumstick in there.......not a whole leg.......but with him you never know!!

Bill Cunningham
01-03-2008, 11:18 PM
That reminds me of the difference between Erotic, and Kinky!
Erotic, you tickle your partner with a feather..
Kinky means you rub em down with the whole chicken:eek:

Frank Corker
01-04-2008, 8:25 AM
You call a foul? (fowl)
I know I know.........I'll go back to my corner now haha!

Now that's a poultry joke