PDA

View Full Version : New Grizzly 10in Contractor saw with riving knife!

Jim Gildenvan
12-29-2007, 2:14 AM
NEWS FLASH: Last night I got my new 2008 Grizzly catalog and on page 17 they show a brand new 10 inch contractor saw with a true riving knife, model number G0661, due out in February for intro price of $725. It is a VERY heavy saw for a contractor type at 443 lbs and has a whole new drive setup with "vertically aligned motor and blade" (per the catalog description) that is completely internal to the cabinet. Also claims the dust collection is much improved because the dust hood moves up and down with the new blade mechanism. But it still looks like a typical contractor saw minus the motor hanging out back. The handwheels look better located and heavier than their other contractor saws and the legs look wider set and heavier duty.

Anyway--it looked really interesting so I tore up their Bellingham location today to see if they had a display model--nope! But they gave me a poop sheet on it with lots of details. I checked their website today and it still isn't listed there.
The riving knife revolution is gaining momentum and I am gonna push my ancient saw for a little while yet ---this Griz looks pretty good on paper at least given my limited budget. :D

Anyone heard if Ridgid is adding a riving knife to their 3650?

scott spencer
12-29-2007, 8:13 AM
Sounds like it's really a hybrid by the "popular" definition of one, which is essentially a contractor saw with the motor moved inside the cabinet. Looking forward to seeing one.

If Ridgid makes any major changes to the 3650, I'd expect them to move the motor inside too. They're the only major player who doesn't have any type of hybrid out.

Richard Dragin
12-29-2007, 10:15 AM
At that weight I don't know how they can call it a "contractor" saw. You won't be moving it around to many job sites if it is that heavy. This is no comment on the saw itself and I am a big fan of Grizz but the marketing weenies might not have thought this one through.

Edit...Jim, does the cataloge actually say it is a contractor saw or is that your description?

Jim Thiel
12-29-2007, 10:30 AM
...the marketing weenies might not have thought this one through...

Is that the urethane suit with the bun over wrap? Man I wish I worked there!

Jim

Chuck Lenz
12-29-2007, 12:02 PM
I'd have to see the saw before I got too excited. The riving knife, well nice feature, but from what I've red in other posts about riving knives is if your useing different blade kerfs you need different knife kerfs in order for them to work the way they are intended. Personally I think the knife is alot of hype, I've never put the splitter on a table saw in the 20 years that I've been useing them. Dust collection ? Well I allready have that covered on my Delta Contractors saw. What size is the motor ? What fence is on it ?

Jim Gildenvan
12-30-2007, 12:30 AM
Their catalog specifically calls it a "10 in Contractor Style Tablesaw with Riving knife" . . Actually, in my first quick pass thru the catalog I missed it because it has all the appearances of their typical contractor saw.
then I noticed the very heavy weight and the beefier look of the legs, the better positioned heavier looking handwheels, etc..

You are right Richard no one is going to haul a 443 lb saw from job to job and with the motor inside it sure could be called a Hybrid but it really doesn't look like a hybrid except the motor is hidden----go figure!!

Hadn't thought about the riving knife needing to match the width of your different saw kerfs. I confess I tossed my blade guard years ago but I haven't cut off my arm yet. However since I will soon be buying "my last table saw" (on a limited budget), to the extent a riving knife might help safety and still not get in the way, I gotta believe its a good thing even if its not a perfect safety.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see it, and others coming along next year. The $725 price seems reasonable (especially without shipping -only 35 miles to their warehouse) . Happy New Year to all---Jim

Jim Gildenvan
12-30-2007, 12:45 AM
I'd have to see the saw before I got too excited. The riving knife, well nice feature, but from what I've red in other posts about riving knives is if your useing different blade kerfs you need different knife kerfs in order for them to work the way they are intended. Personally I think the knife is alot of hype, I've never put the splitter on a table saw in the 20 years that I've been useing them. Dust collection ? Well I allready have that covered on my Delta Contractors saw. What size is the motor ? What fence is on it ?

Chuck: I forgot to answer your other questions---The motor is their 2HP 110/220V prewired for 110 with amp draw at 20amps on 110V, all cast iron table and wings, generic looking Biesmeyer clone fence (but not their ShopFox version) with 36 inch rip. Also says the dust collection hood moves up and down with the vertically aligned motor and blade mechanism, heavy cast iron table mounted trunnions.

Tim Marks
12-30-2007, 8:01 AM
yep, I think the guys writing the catalog kinda screwed this one... "Lightweight open contractor style stand with a vertically aligned motor....'. Somebody missed the point that even a saw with a closed base is a contractor saw when it has the outside motor.

"It LOOKS like a contractor saw, therefore it must be a contractor saw"?

Still is probably going to be the king of saws in the sub $1000 range, although I bet it would have sold double what it is going to now if they had just slapped a cheap enclosed sheetmetal base on it and called it a hybrid.

"Gosh, look at the cabinet saw with a riving knife for $725.. It has a closed based, MUST be a cabionet saw..."

M. A. Espinoza
12-30-2007, 11:08 AM
Strange, a contractor saw that only weighs 24 lbs less than 1023 cabinet saw. And with a smaller enclosure.

Maybe its a typo?

Thats a lot of mass somewhere if the weight is correct. Hopefully in the carriage, it could be a good tool if that is beefy enough.

Dan Lautner
12-30-2007, 11:41 AM
"Personally I think the knife is alot of hype"

How could a safety device that never gets in the way and makes kickback virtually impossible be " alot of hype"?

Dan

Chuck Lenz
12-30-2007, 12:07 PM
How could a safety device that never gets in the way and makes kickback virtually impossible be " alot of hype"?

Dan
Never gets in the way ? I don't know about that. Would you use it with a dado blade ? Also as I mentioned before if the knife isn't the same kerf as the blade it's not going to do you much good. Too each his own, but I'm not sold on it, especially if it means buying a new saw just for that.

Tim Marks
12-30-2007, 12:33 PM
How could a safety device that never gets in the way
Not true, because the machine's blade guard mounts on the riving knife. To do none-thru cuts (such as a dado) you need to remove the blade guard/riving knife and replace it with the low-profile riving knife (which is an option not included with the original purchase on Jet/PM, but does come included with Grizzly and SS). Here is the stock riving knife (not the OPTIONAL more typical low profile riving knife that most people picture when they think of riving knives) on the PM2000. Please notice that it MUST BE REMOVED for non-thru cuts:

http://quietboating.com/images/PM2000_splitter.JPG

Ever wonder why almost every SS picture doesn't show the blade guard, but instead shows the "low profile riving knife"? Maybe it is because they figure most of their users will not want to take the extra step to swap out riving knives when going from thru to non-thru cuts, and will just operate the saw with out a blade guard and the low-profile riving knife all the time?

So the riving knife actually requires an additional step over a splitter for the non-thru cuts (installing the low profile knife), unless you choose to operate the machine without a bladeguard all the time.

Chuck Lenz
12-30-2007, 12:51 PM
On the low profile knife, is it low enough for a 8" dado blade ? Not thats theres really any reason to use it during dado operations ofcourse.

Nissim Avrahami
12-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Just for comparison, that's the riving knife on the Elektra Beckum (Metabo) TS

The riving knife sits a little bit below the blade and the guard "clicks" in the groove and locked with wing nut.

I have the saw already 2 years and never removed or adjusted the riving knife but, I don't use dado blades (the arbor is too short)

niki

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb151/matsukawa/Rivingknife.jpg

M. A. Espinoza
12-30-2007, 1:00 PM
Ever wonder why almost every SS picture doesn't show the blade guard, but instead shows the "low profile riving knife"? Maybe it is because they figure most of their users will not want to take the extra step to swap out riving knives when going from thru to non-thru cuts, and will just operate the saw with out a blade guard and the low-profile riving knife all the time?

Yeah, riving knives ALMOST never get in the way. Guards interfere more often. I think the best practical setup is an overarm guard/low profile splitter-knife.

Overarms can get in the way but are usually moved clear pretty easily with most designs, and can be removed completely without too much hassle. But they both can be left in place MOST of the time without notice.

If a guard/splitter is used at all in a pro shop it will likely be an overarm and something like the Biese snap-in splitter.

I think saws are sold with guards due to regulations, not because they will be used in practice. The poor design of factory guards until now is pretty clumsy and I never got the impression it was taken very seriously. If it was you would have seen the Euro style implemented long before now.

Seems like the guards are still an afterthought, albeit a better one. I really just think of guards as simply reminders of the "no safe" zone around the blade and do more to keep my hands away when I'm tired or absent minded than anything else.

The factory guard long ago disappeared from my saw in my home shop. I use an overarm and a simple ZCI with a brass splitter rod. We don't use any guards or splitters at all at work, but sheet stock is probably 90 percent or more of what is cut.

Tim Marks
12-30-2007, 1:03 PM
wow, I like the looks of that riving knife better then the one on SS/Grizzly/PM/Jet, all of which have a riving knife which supports the bladeguard similar to the photo I posted above.

Chris Zenda
12-30-2007, 1:19 PM

I find that my riving Knife is off my saw more than its on, cutting slots etc.

Jim Becker
12-30-2007, 3:01 PM
Not true, because the machine's blade guard mounts on the riving knife. To do none-thru cuts (such as a dado) you need to remove the blade guard/riving knife and replace it with the low-profile riving knife (which is an option not included with the original purchase on Jet/PM, but does come included with Grizzly and SS). Here is the stock riving knife (not the OPTIONAL more typical low profile riving knife that most people picture when they think of riving knives) on the PM2000. Please notice that it MUST BE REMOVED for non-thru cuts:

http://quietboating.com/images/PM2000_splitter.JPG

So the riving knife actually requires an additional step over a splitter for the non-thru cuts (installing the low profile knife), unless you choose to operate the machine without a bladeguard all the time.

The problem you describe isn't an issue with a riving knife, Tim...it's with PM's implementation of the same. IMHO, they screwed up. The way that Nissim's saw is setup is the way a riving knife should be implemented. My MiniMax saw's riving knife system is designed that same way as are all the other Euro machines I've seen up close and personal. PM appears to have designed a mixture of a riving knife with an American style guard support...awkward. Again, IMHO. And if others like SS followed suit, I'm disappointed.

Tim Marks
12-30-2007, 3:24 PM
it's with PM's implementation of the same. IMHO, they screwed up.
SS, PM/Jet, and Grizzly all of the same general shape of the riving knife which supports the blade guard. On all of them, the bladeguard attached to the riving knife ABOVE the level of the top of blade.

Which actually seems safer to me, since typically you adjust the blade so it is about one tooth higher then the thickness of the wood that you are cutting. If the riving knife was the same height as the blade, and the blade guard attached BELOW the top of the blade, then it seems to me that you could end up accidently hitting the bladeguard attachment hinge with the wood if you did not quite crank the blade high enough. I hate it when the wood gets stuck halfway through a cut.

I think the real bottom line is that you should purchase the low profile riving knife (if it doesn't come as a standard item), ditch the blade gaurd, and get an overarm blade guard/dust collector (like others have mentioned).

Of course, I think EVERY riving knife must be removed to use dado blades (unless you have a 10" dado :D) since the dado blade is smaller then a normal TS blade... at least SS and PM manuals tell you that.

But what do I know? I am just the guy who is fool because I think my splitter will keep me safe:D:D:D:D!

Nissim Avrahami
12-30-2007, 3:45 PM
Hi Jim

I think that the "American" design of the riving knife is because of OSHA regulation that requires the installation of the "Kickback pawls" that are not required according to the EU regulations.

You can find them here
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9837

Here is a "Copy & Past"

1910.213(c)(1)
Each circular hand-fed ripsaw shall be guarded by a hood which shall completely enclose that portion of the saw above the table and that portion of the saw above the material being cut. The hood and mounting shall be arranged so that the hood will automatically adjust itself to the thickness of and remain in contact with the material being cut but it shall not offer any considerable resistance to insertion of material to saw or to passage of the material being sawed. The hood shall be made of adequate strength to resist blows and strains incidental to reasonable operation, adjusting, and handling, and shall be so designed as to protect the operator from flying splinters and broken saw teeth. It shall be made of material that is soft enough so that it will be unlikely to cause tooth breakage. The hood shall be so mounted as to insure that its operation will be positive, reliable, and in true alignment with the saw; and the mounting shall be adequate in strength to resist any reasonable side thrust or other force tending to throw it out of line.

1910.213(c)(2)
Each hand-fed circular ripsaw shall be furnished with a spreader to prevent material from squeezing the saw or being thrown back on the operator. The spreader shall be made of hard tempered steel, or its equivalent, and shall be thinner than the saw kerf. It shall be of sufficient width to provide adequate stiffness or rigidity to resist any reasonable side thrust or blow tending to bend or throw it out of position. The spreader shall be attached so that it will remain in true alignment with the saw even when either the saw or table is tilted. The provision of a spreader in connection with grooving, dadoing, or rabbeting is not required. On the completion of such operations, the spreader shall be immediately replaced.

1910.213(c)(3)
Each hand-fed circular ripsaw shall be provided with nonkickback fingers or dogs so located as to oppose the thrust or tendency of the saw to pick up the material or to throw it back toward the operator. They shall be designed to provide adequate holding power for all the thicknesses of materials being cut.

And Jim, you know me enough time to call me niki and not Nissim:)

Regards
niki

Jim Becker
12-30-2007, 5:32 PM
Sorry, Niki!

Tim, yes there might be a mechanical advantage to putting a larger guard on the way that Jet/PM/SS/Griz have done it, but it means you need a second knife. (OK, I bought a second one for my MM machine, but that's because I'm running 10" blades and the one that came with the saw was a smidgin too tall for the shorter blade...but properly set-up for 12" blades) But I think that Niki may have identified the real reason for the format being used...those (worthless, IMHO) "anti-kickback" pawls which also can serve very well to scratch and score your expensive veneer plywood and softer hardwoods if not adjusted "perfectly". (I ripped them off the Biesemeyer splitter I used on my Jet cabinet saw prior to buying the slider) Oh, well...looks like buyers pretty much have to buy the "low profile" knife if they want to use the riving knife 100% of the time.

John Thompson
12-30-2007, 6:40 PM
I had a riving knife with my former TS. If you do a dado cut, just take it off period as a riving knife slightly under the width of the saw blade serves no purpose what-so-ever unless you happen to be doing a dado .087 (the width of most TK blades) or one .125 (the width of most standard kerfs) wide. And I think most will agree that is not likely.

And I will dis-agree that a riving knife will make it almost impossible for kick-back. It will reduce the chance of kick-back occuring from wood rebounding back toward and touching the dangerous rear rising teeth of the blade.. but the wood can still ride straight up and launch without a proper crown gaurd attached to the top. It can also launch forward straight toward the front of the saw off the blade. That's why is important to keep the lane clear to avoid a direct hit if that happens.

Sarge..

Kewan Floyd
01-24-2008, 5:42 PM
As I'm in the market for a table saw I emailed Grizzly today about the availability date for the G0661 and they said it should be available on 4/11/08. Just thought I would pass along the news.

I had narrowed my search down to hybird saws but after seeing this one in the 2008 catalog I will be interested to hear people's first hand impression once they start shipping out.

By the way, it took approximatley 10 mintues to get an email response from Grizzly customer service with the answer to my question. I was impressed.

scott spencer
01-24-2008, 5:55 PM
As I'm in the market for a table saw I emailed Grizzly today about the availability date for the G0661 and they said it should be available on 4/11/08. Just thought I would pass along the news.

I had narrowed my search down to hybird saws but after seeing this one in the 2008 catalog I will be interested to hear people's first hand impression once they start shipping out.

By the way, it took approximatley 10 mintues to get an email response from Grizzly customer service with the answer to my question. I was impressed.

Hi Kewan - By most people's definition, the 0661 is a hybrid, as it has an inboard induction motor. Not sure why they've dubbed a contractor saw.

Bruce Benjamin
01-24-2008, 6:10 PM
"Personally I think the knife is alot of hype"

Dan

I think both of these statements are optimistic at best. This would go into the same category as a post in a related thread that inferred that if you use a Saw Stop you can't possibly get a serious injury. :rolleyes:

Bruce

Jason Beam
01-24-2008, 6:15 PM
Listed (barely) on their site now:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0661

With more info in their catalog link here:

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2008/Main/17

Jim Jones
02-18-2008, 7:31 PM
I am right on the verge of ordering the Grizzly G0661. But I noticed that it didn't have the Shop Fox Aluma Classic that some of their other models have (like the 0444), I have read good reviews on the Aluma Classic.

The 0444 and some other Grizz equipment is manufactured in Taiwan. The G0661 is made in China.

So... now I'm not very confident about the quality of the fence since it looks like a new item with no history. One thing I REALLLLY don't want is a poor quality fence and then have to go buy another $200 to $300 fence after buying the saw.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll call tomorrow or e-mail them.

- Jim -

Stephen Edwards
02-18-2008, 9:31 PM
I've always found blade guards and riving knives on table saws to be a hindrance. I don't use them. And, I still have all my fingers at the age of 57. Everytime that I turn a machine on I remind myself......I can lose fingers if I don't pay attention. I'm also reminded of a sign that I saw in a friend's shop years ago: Do not use remaining fingers as push sticks!

scott spencer
02-19-2008, 8:05 AM
I am right on the verge of ordering the Grizzly G0661. But I noticed that it didn't have the Shop Fox Aluma Classic that some of their other models have (like the 0444), I have read good reviews on the Aluma Classic.

The 0444 and some other Grizz equipment is manufactured in Taiwan. The G0661 is made in China.

So... now I'm not very confident about the quality of the fence since it looks like a new item with no history. One thing I REALLLLY don't want is a poor quality fence and then have to go buy another $200 to $300 fence after buying the saw.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll call tomorrow or e-mail them.

- Jim -

Hi Jim - I haven't seen the G0661 in person, but I doubt Grizzly is adding an unproven newly designed fence. It's likely that it's an off the shelf design from a supplier. From the pics, it appears to be a steel t-square style along the lines of a Delta T2, Jet Proshop fence, or Woodtek. I'd have a tough time buying a fence site-unseen also, but I do have some confidence in Griz to get the fence right. FWIW, the T2, Jet, and Woodtek fences have all been well received.

Here's a pic of the Jet and Griz side by side:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41B15A2An1L._SS500_.jpg
http://www.grizzly.com/images/pics/jpeg500/g/g0661.jpg

Steve Sawyer
02-23-2008, 12:34 AM

Jim - I'm right where you're at - just about to pull the trigger on this saw and concerned about the fence. I emailed Grizzly and they said that it's a proprietary fence, and the same unit that they've been shipping for the last year or so on the larger riving-knife-equipped cabinet saws, like the G0651 and G0652. However if you look at the pics they look very similar, but the handle is shaped a bit differently and the G0661 version only has a single cursor whereas the fence on the larger saws has two.

That said, I've almost never heard anyone complain about either Grizzly's products or their customer service, so I think that it might be a good risk. They are quoting a back order of 6-8 weeks though.

Jim Jones
03-01-2008, 2:35 PM
Scott and Steve, thanks for the feedback.

Steve, pardon my ignorance but what is the dual/single cursor?

One other question: Since the fence doesn't have t-slots, how do you attach a auxiliary or sacrificial fence?

Since you said 6 to 8 weeks, I decided to go ahead and order so as not to delay arrival even more, so I placed my order today (3/1/08) and got a shipping date of July 4. Aaarrgh! I had called a few weeks ago and they said I could be first on list, but nooooo, not me. I wanted to research it some more. In hind sight, I should have ordered then when they were promising shipping on 4/11/08.

Steve Sawyer
03-01-2008, 3:56 PM
Steve, pardon my ignorance but what is the dual/single cursor?

A dual cursor I believe (never used one so equipped) allows two scales, one for a right-of-blade and the other for left-of-blade measurement. Not a big deal or a show-stopper IMO.

One other question: Since the fence doesn't have t-slots, how do you attach a auxiliary or sacrificial fence?

Good question, and one that I face with the saw that I just ordered - not the Grizzly (see below).

Since you said 6 to 8 weeks, I decided to go ahead and order so as not to delay arrival even more, so I placed my order today (3/1/08) and got a shipping date of July 4. Aaarrgh! I had called a few weeks ago and they said I could be first on list, but nooooo, not me. I wanted to research it some more. In hind sight, I should have ordered then when they were promising shipping on 4/11/08.

Don't feel like the lone ranger, Jim - I just went through the same frustration. Ordered Thursday and got the same mid-summer bad news. Sounds like the April shipment is all sold out, so now they're committing from the second shipment. I think anyone offering a modestly-priced riving-knife equipped saw at this point might be finding themselves in a similar situation. I think demand might outstrip supply for awhile before there's enough alternatives available from Steel City, Jet, Delta, General etc. etc.

Not wanting to wait that long, I went with the next-higher priced unit and ordered a Jet Deluxe XACTA saw today after canceling my Grizzly order. We're talking a $700 premium over the G0661, but if I want a riving knife (and I really do)....

Jim Lind
09-04-2008, 9:34 AM
I just called Grizzly yesterday and they said it will be 4-6 weeks before they get the saw in. He made me believe that the saws have never come in yet. Does anyone own one of these? Seems strange, if true, that the Feb 08 availability is stretched out to Sep. or beyond??

Thanks,
Jim

Steve Sawyer
09-04-2008, 12:20 PM
I had every intention of buying one of these (the G0661) back in February. At the time I was researching the saw they were quoting delivery some time in April. However, I decided to go another (but more expensive) route when they told me at the time I finally ordered mine (on March 1st) that they wouldn't be able to ship until July. My assumption was that everything coming in on the April shipment was spoken for. Perhaps there were delays and the April shipment never happened.

I have yet to see or hear of anyone that has yet taken delivery.

Too bad, 'cause it looks like a really, really nice saw.

Prashun Patel
09-04-2008, 1:18 PM
I almost went for this but had questions about the fence. I went with the Jet Proshop. The Griz looks effectively like a hybrid

Jim Lind
09-04-2008, 4:46 PM
I was going to get the Proshop as well, but on Sep 1st Jet raised the price from $809 to $999. But wait, they offer a generous $50 rebate. Just swell. That's quite a hefty increase in my book. Now I'm wondering if the G0661 will really be $725 plus shipping when (if) it comes in.

Larry Buldak
04-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Several big power tools and the Grizzly is the best. Started out with Craftsman, like many of us have, then Delta, then upper brands and, finally the Griz! I have the G0661 and the bugger is dead accurate out of the box. Always wanted a cabinet saw and now I have one; don't know what they want to call this thing but it is indeed a cabinet saw with contractor base. Unbelieveably heavy and well built. Very, very, very accurate cuts. Fence is dead on. Used to own a Beismeiyer at $450 with all the goodies on a Craftsman and it wouldn't measure up. My wife works for a woodworker's supply company and got the Bies for me with extended fence rails. Don't even have a Forrest blade on it yet...

Larry Buldak
04-22-2009, 11:31 PM
Several big power tools and the Grizzly is the best. Started out with Craftsman, like many of us have, then Delta, then upper brands and, finally the Griz! I have the G0661 and the bugger is dead accurate out of the box. Always wanted a cabinet saw and now I have one; don't know what they want to call this thing but it is indeed a cabinet saw with contractor base. Unbelieveably heavy and well built. Very, very, very accurate cuts. Fence is dead on. Used to own a Beismeiyer at $450 with all the goodies on a Craftsman and it wouldn't measure up. My wife works for a woodworker's supply company and got the Bies for me with extended fence rails. Don't even have a Forrest blade on it yet...

Dave Sharpe
04-23-2009, 12:13 AM
I asked Grizzly today about the G0661 AND the G0691 (the larger cabinet saw) and they told me that both are back-ordered until at least August. They do have last year's model with a riving knife in stock - the G0651, but it's $500 more than this year's model. I couldn't find any real significant difference between them though, other than the price - Anyone know what the difference is?

The back-order problem is rather frustrating to me. I'm in the market for a saw NOW, not 4 months from now. I like Sawstop's new cabinet saw, but they aren't on the market yet, and seem ridiculously overpriced.

I went to the Woodworking Shows in Seattle last Friday and looked at a bunch of saws and I have to say that I'm disappointed in the interest level of the sales guys. Almost all of them were less than interested in really telling me about the features of their saws. The only exception was the guy from General, who took time to demo the saw and answer questions for me. Everyone else seemed more interested in chatting with the other sales reps and could barely be bothered to hand me a sales flyer. And it was still early on the first day of the show - they hadn't even had time to get tired out yet!

So what's up, all you manufacturer's reps out there? Why the lack of interest in selling your product. For Grizzly, why are you so far behind on orders? (Someone else posted a while back that Grizzly seems to be back-ordered on most of their machines). I'm in the market to buy a tablesaw with a good riving knife- preferably a 3 hp cabinet saw. I have the money and I'm ready to buy - why does it seem so difficult to find a dealer/manufacturer who wants my business?

Prashun Patel
04-23-2009, 8:35 AM
looks like you were dealing with bottom of the barrel.

Ray Dockrey
04-23-2009, 8:59 AM
Listed (barely) on their site now:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0661

With more info in their catalog link here:

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2008/Main/17That first link states the saw weighs 342 lbs.

Peter Elliott
04-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Dave,

I had the same experience in VA show. Not sure if it's burn out because if your referring to the WW show, it's on the tail end of the circuit.

The sales guys need a big awakening! or company employee's. I speak from experience because I did the job they have for over 15yrs. Not in the woodworking industry but one similar in customer make up. Trade shows are tough, long and can be stressful. But if your not into talking to people when they walk on your carpet, go home! because you do worse by chatting with your co workers and ignoring potential $$ coming your way.

Educating a customer is selling a customer. Woodworkers enjoy to be educated which turn into sales.

Not to hijack your thread either.... I was looking at new saws as well and came home with a bad impression.

I looked at the new Delta table saw... Yep, it was there... got to touch it... did I tell you it was there... :rolleyes:

Glad we have SMC!

-Peter