PDA

View Full Version : New Yankee Workshop 20th season

Frank Orzehoski
12-28-2007, 10:29 PM
The 1st 9 shows of the upcoming season are dedicated to building a kitchen out of your shop, or what Norm calls a moderately equipped shop. The series is called the Dream Kitchen Project. There is a video by Norm giving a preview on the link below. Some of the projects looked interesting.

http://www.newyankee.com

Lee Koepke
12-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Looking forward to seeing those shows. Although his "moderately equipped" shop is probably better than mine, I still like to see his work.

Jim Becker
12-29-2007, 9:51 AM
You can see the end result in the new February 2008 issue of Fine Woodworking...Norm is on the cover and the subject is the kitchen...and some tips about building one.

I think that this new season is noteworthy in that it will show a much larger project in an extended time frame. That will be useful to many who might contemplate a similar, large-scale project, like their own kitchen.

Don Bullock
12-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Hey Jim, Norm should have gotten some pointers on his kitchen from you.;):D

Gary Keedwell
12-29-2007, 10:19 AM
I hope Norm continues his show until he is 80 years young.:eek: Maybe he can rename his show " Old Yankee Workshop for Seniors" ;) Or maybe "Grumpy old Woodworker":p

Gary

Don Bullock
12-29-2007, 10:38 AM
I'm with you on that one Gary. His shows are great for people like me, but I know there are some that think his work is too simple or that he uses too many machines.:D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-29-2007, 10:45 AM
I'm a big Norm fan. I'd done some part-time construction work for a neighbor who was a building contractor but no real woodworking. TOH and the New Yankee Workshop got me interested in woodworking, furniture making and yes...turning.

David Marks is another good ww'er but I can't see his shows on a regular basis.

Each has their own niche and both are craftsman in their own right. Both have contributed to increasing the popularity of ww and educated this old guy.

Jim Becker
12-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Hey Jim, Norm should have gotten some pointers on his kitchen from you.

Norm would cringe at my kitchen. Design is good, but execution is marginal, IMHO. I've learned a lot since then, but continue to experience "hard lessons"...as it were...

I need to get back to watching NYW. May have to spring for a DVR to accomplish that, however, as the local time slot is inconvenient due to the girlie-girls' Saturday YMCA activities.

Michael Gibbons
12-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Jim, Sounds like you need an early Fathers day gift!:rolleyes:

Pat Germain
12-29-2007, 11:16 AM
May have to spring for a DVR to accomplish that, however, as the local time slot is inconvenient due to the girlie-girls' Saturday YMCA activities.

I'm in a similar position,Jim. My local PBS station shows NYW at 4:00 PM on Saturdays. I'm never near the TV at that time.

One of my coworkers had very good results using his home PC as a DVR. My PC is so old I'd have to buy a new one to even consider making it DVR capable. And that's more expensive than buying a DVR.

Ellen Benkin
12-29-2007, 12:01 PM
Jim,

I'm shocked to learn that you don't have a DVR! I would have expected one in the house and one in the shop.

Seriously, I just invested in the "new" technology a couple of months ago and can attest to the fact that it really changes your TV viewing. No more commercials! Unless you want to watch the news "live", of course. I rarely watch anything when it first shows except news and sports.

But remember you also have to pay for the monthly service.

Ted Christiansen
12-29-2007, 12:19 PM
We have two Tivos and love it. Another option is BeyondTV, which doesnt have a monthly fee.

Ted

Don Bullock
12-29-2007, 1:08 PM
...I need to get back to watching NYW. May have to spring for a DVR to accomplish that, however, as the local time slot is inconvenient due to the girlie-girls' Saturday YMCA activities.

I talked SWMBO into a DVR so that she could record all the times Barry Manilow was on TV. That way it didn't come out of my "shop" budget.;):D

Greg Just
12-29-2007, 2:01 PM
I have 3 DVR's and rarely ever watch live tv. I have even recorded football games and watched them in just over an hour! It would be nice if they would automatically skip the commericals when recording. :D

Chris Barnett
12-29-2007, 3:35 PM
I record the wood shows then go through them, culling the commercials while ignoring [;)] the contents on the show. To my regret, recorder burped and missed the two weekends before Christmas. Today I did record David Marks using a pneumatic pin nailer :eek:; later Norm was tucking neat fabric folds on a nice window bench. Really laughed when it seemed he wanted to rip the filthy, nasty old upholstery fabric from the museum grade, orginal window bench. Another classy piece on NYW.

frank shic
12-29-2007, 4:24 PM
the beaded inset kitchen he builds in FWW is beautiful but i still think pocket screws are way faster than slotting and biscuiting the face frames to the carcases :D

Paul Girouard
12-29-2007, 4:48 PM
the beaded inset kitchen he builds in FWW is beautiful but i still think pocket screws are way faster than slotting and biscuiting the face frames to the carcases :D

So Norm gets flack for BEING TO SLOW as well as TO FAST eh! :D

Some of you guys are NEVER happy:rolleyes:

Frank have you ever seen that internet joke about not knowing "Jack Shic" ? I'd think someone would have sent that to you , if you have it could you send it to me I really think it's quite funny :D But with a name like yours it's TO EASY to use that line of thinking :D

It went around a few years back , taking you thru the whole "Shic" line leading back to "Jack Shic":D

tim rowledge
12-30-2007, 2:03 AM
It would be nice if they would automatically skip the commericals when recording. :D
Never happen; the TV equivalent of the MPAA would have a fit and get the law changed to ban it. Some years ago when I was working in the field of TV set-top boxes they were trying to get a system in place to prevent you even skipping the ads manually, kinda like the FBI warning parts at the beginning of DVDs that won't skip.

Dave Stoler
12-30-2007, 8:39 AM
I got a chuckle out of that myself..If that guy had turned his back ole Norm woulda had a nice new cover on that window seat !

Jim Becker
12-30-2007, 11:44 AM
I'm shocked to learn that you don't have a DVR! I would have expected one in the house and one in the shop.

Well...I don't watch TV, for the most part, outside of local news and GMA in the morning when I first wake up...and sometimes I'm not really awake while watching it then. :o Same for Professor Dr. SWMBO. We're readers, rather than watchers. Kid's don't have free access to TV, either, just DVDs. But once the addition is done, I'm likely going to give the boot to Comcast and put in DirectTV. We'll have two HD-capable screens at that point, including one in the MBR (our existing 30" Aquos), and having one DVR will allow me to watch some things like NYW at convenient times.

the beaded inset kitchen he builds in FWW is beautiful but i still think pocket screws are way faster than slotting and biscuiting the face frames to the carcases

I happen to agree, but everyone has their favorite methods. The method Norm uses is "classic" and does help with alignment while building the carcases, but with good clamping techniques, one can also do butt joints, with or without pocket screws equally effective. Norm also uses integral toe kicks; I prefer the toe kicks to be a separate assembly as I find it easier to level the whole thing.

So many choices! All good. All valid.

Jeff Cybulski
12-30-2007, 8:50 PM
Jim - I would go with Dish over Direct. The guide on the remote is easier to use and if you spring for the top 180 ( or whatever they call it now) you get 60+ channels of Sirus radio. I ran a line to my shop last year and picked up some speakers from evil bay and life's never been the same. Love that Outlaw Country ( chanel 63)

Jeff

Jim Becker
12-30-2007, 10:40 PM
DirectTV is currently the leader in HD--which is all I'm personally interested in, including putting into play a whole new satellite for that purpose. Dish also seems to have a lot more complaints "out there" from what I've seen. The encoding they are using is outstanding in quality, too. Frankly, even that will be "temporary" until Verizon eventually becomes successful in beating our township down from their greedy position so that fiber on our poles will connect directly to the house. I can even source it via VZ so it's on one bill with my phone and Internet access.

I only listen to two radio stations (WXPN.org and WHYY.org -- both public stations) and the former I listen to a sub-channel via streaming in my office for their totally talk-free Xpoential music feed. Sirius has never excited me for some reason...

But this is a topic for the OT forum... ;)

Thom Sturgill
01-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Never happen; the TV equivalent of the MPAA would have a fit and get the law changed to ban it. Some years ago when I was working in the field of TV set-top boxes they were trying to get a system in place to prevent you even skipping the ads manually, kinda like the FBI warning parts at the beginning of DVDs that won't skip.

MythTV, runs on a Linux PC and will flag the commercials for deletion.

Greg Just
01-06-2008, 1:50 PM
Did any one see the new show? It is on here in Minneapolis this afternoon.

Rick Jeschke
01-06-2008, 2:04 PM
First episode was OK. Did anyone else notice that Norm didn't use any dust colletcion on the biscut jointer and had sawdust flying everywhere:confused:

Scott Velie
01-06-2008, 2:18 PM
The first of the series was on yesterday. It was "cabinets 101". No real project just an overview and he showed some new hardware. I would give that first episode a B-.
One piece of hardware was pretty cool and Norm said he would be using it.
Overhead cabinet doors that open up like a hatchback with nitrogen gas cylinders. It had 2 doors (2 levels of shelving) hinged in the middle horizontally go up at once. I am not sure why they were hinged. It looks like they could be 1 piece. It had both soft-close and soft-open.

Scott

Rob Wright
01-06-2008, 2:27 PM

We had two ReplayTV DVR's that automatically DID skip the commercials. They were sued and the had to take the technology out of the newer boxes. We had two 4800's and they had a much better technology than the Tivo at the time. They were able to be networked over Cat5 cable to our router and you could watch either's recorded content from the computer or the TV. They really ended up getting pushed out by Tivo and their marketing efforts.

On topic - the NYW should be a good season. When the subject of cabinet construction gets brought up here, I always like the different techniques that everyone uses. It will be interesting to see Norm's techniques as well as some of the design elements that he discusses. I guess that is what I am really looking forward to - the design considerations.

- Rob

Marc Prudhomme
01-06-2008, 2:58 PM
woodworking old school
First episode was OK. Did anyone else notice that Norm didn't use any dust colletcion on the biscut jointer and had sawdust flying everywhere:confused:

Brice Burrell
01-06-2008, 4:20 PM
.......Overhead cabinet doors that open up like a hatchback with nitrogen gas cylinders. It had 2 doors (2 levels of shelving) hinged in the middle horizontally go up at once. I am not sure why they were hinged. It looks like they could be 1 piece. It had both soft-close and soft-open.

Scott

Scott, they are hinged so you can still reach the door to close it.

Gary Muto
01-06-2008, 9:40 PM
Yeah, also noticed that he gave up his lamello for a P-C. Too bad his sponser wouldn't sping for a dust bag. It actually works well.