PDA

View Full Version : Ya'll didn't know I could turn pens too!

Jerry Stringer
02-24-2004, 12:08 AM
I had planned to go out in the shop anyway tonight but Julie got me motivated to be a little creative. Here's my first three pens from the kits that Ken sent.

The middle one is a standard streamline out of walnut. When I got to the middle, it had a worm hole in it that I inlayed with black and gold embossing powder. It's not as sparkly as I would like so I'll try something else next time.

The one on the right is another streamline out of mesquite with some curves to it.

The one on the left is a mesquite streamline without the center ring. The top slides down over the bottom part.

My only wish was that the kits were gold instead of chrome but oh, well . . such is life!!

Thanks!

Jerry

Bobby McCarley
02-24-2004, 12:21 AM
Great looking pens Jerry. I really like the one without the CB. Do you cut the blank a little longer and then hollow it out or what? I haven't tried making one without the CB.

Bobby McCarley

Jerry Stringer
02-24-2004, 1:19 AM
Great looking pens Jerry. I really like the one without the CB. Do you cut the blank a little longer and then hollow it out or what? I haven't tried making one without the CB.

Bobby McCarley

Hi Bobby!

I can't believe it's after midnight and I'm still prowling the internet!!! I keep coming back to Sawmill every once in awhile to see what new gossip there is!!!!

I cut the blank about 1/8" longer than necessary and when I used the pen mill on the longer end, that took care of the hollowing out part. I put the blanks on the mandrell just like they would be on the pen so that I could judge the diameters. I guess you could use a micrometer or caliper but I just eyeballed it and when it got close, I stopped the lathe, took the blanks off and made sure they fit.

Did you notice that the pen is shorter?

Actually, that pen is the first time I have tried this style! It took a little extra time but I think with practice it will get faster. I think it would be a great style for a really knockout piece of wood where you wanted to see all of the grain.

Bill Chapman . . . this is the pen I was working on when you called tonight.

Thanks! I've gotta go to work in the morning so I guess I should get some sleep!

C YA!

Jerry

Julie Wright
02-24-2004, 6:13 AM
Very Beautiful Pens. Lets see which one is my fav? Hmmm, Well lets see ?? The one on the right? No no the one on the left ? No no ... They are both very unique, I believe I love them BOTH!!! Oh yeah, I like you in the middle too...

Thanks for sharing..

Kent Cori
02-24-2004, 7:11 AM
Great pens Jerry. I really like the contours on the right one. Mind if I steal your idea?

Ken Salisbury
02-24-2004, 8:55 AM
My only wish was that the kits were gold instead of chrome but oh, well . . such is life!!

Thanks!

Jerry
Jerry,

The kits were chrome for a specific reason. It was decided early on by me and a couple of suppliers that the chrome finish versions would be more durable considering the enviorment the pens would be subjected to. I will have some 24k gold pens coming to the free kit program from Craft Supplies USA later this week. If that is what you prefer next time - let me know.

p.s. Great Job !!

Jerry Stringer
02-24-2004, 11:09 AM
Great pens Jerry. I really like the contours on the right one. Mind if I steal your idea?

From Ken - The kits were chrome for a specific reason.

Hi Kent!

Knock yourself out . . .well, not really . . . it's just a saying! Feel free to use any design I ever do. Thanks.

Ken - I figured that's why they were chrome and it was a good idea, too. I just don't like the shiny chrome with the warm wood colors. (Oh no! I sound like a designer!)

Thanks, Guys.

Jerry

Bill Chapman
02-24-2004, 7:02 PM
Jerry I'm so assamed that I interrupted such a creative mind with such a selfish simplistic inqury (LOL;)) during an artist intervention of such a master piece. In other word the pens look real real real good the rest was a futile attemp at humor. Yes I'm jealous and will also attemp to duplicate your designs. with your permission of course. Again excellent work:cool:

Paul Lajoie
02-24-2004, 7:10 PM
Great looking pens Jerry. My fav is the one on the left. Going to try that soon. A blank with lots of grain lines would look great. :)

Chris Johnson
02-24-2004, 10:32 PM
First rate effort, and should inspire many in the group. If this is an example of how the mesquite that you sent will look, I am jazzed! Great styling and a good eye for proportion.

I had planned to go out in the shop anyway tonight but Julie got me motivated to be a little creative. Here's my first three pens from the kits that Ken sent.

The middle one is a standard streamline out of walnut. When I got to the middle, it had a worm hole in it that I inlayed with black and gold embossing powder. It's not as sparkly as I would like so I'll try something else next time.

The one on the right is another streamline out of mesquite with some curves to it.

The one on the left is a mesquite streamline without the center ring. The top slides down over the bottom part.

Thanks!

Jerry

Jerry Stringer
02-25-2004, 12:40 AM
First rate effort, and should inspire many in the group. If this is an example of how the mesquite that you sent will look, I am jazzed!

Thanks, Chris!

Then you need to be jazzed cause those two pens are out of my giveaway pile (which, by the way, is getting pretty low . . . I guess I'll make a trip to the mother-in-law's chicken house to get another slab and cut it up into pen blanks!).

I have a private stash of about 60 blanks that have lots of figure. They are gorgeous. If you want to see some PRETTY mesquite, I'll make a pen up out of that pile and post it. I LOVE pretty wood!

Thanks for the kind words!

Jerry