PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to share my latest

Keith Bragg
12-28-2007, 7:23 PM
Hi Folks

Just wanted to show you great folks some of my latest work that I done for my daughter for Xmas for her in-laws, So as you might guess it was not very profitable but I was kind of wondering what some of you folks might charge that are doing the same things.

The art work is done for me by a local Maine artist that in it self is not cheap but he will not sell copy's of my work to anyone else so it is exclusive to me.The slabs are 15.00each engraving time was about 20 minutes ea and about a total of 1 hour in finish work any of your thoughts
would be very welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Scott Shepherd
12-28-2007, 7:34 PM
Very beautiful work Keith! Thanks for sharing it. Love the eagle one!

Really really nice looking work.

James Jaragosky
12-28-2007, 7:42 PM
Hi Folks

Just wanted to show you great folks some of my latest work that I done for my daughter for Xmas for her in-laws, So as you might guess it was not very profitable but I was kind of wondering what some of you folks might charge that are doing the same things.

The art work is done for me by a local Maine artist that in it self is not cheap but he will not sell copy's of my work to anyone else so it is exclusive to me.The slabs are 15.00each engraving time was about 20 minutes ea and about a total of 1 hour in finish work any of your thoughts
would be very welcomed.

Thanks in advance
Price is a very subjective thing in this field and often is based on whatever the market will bear.
I have seen posts here with guys charging as much as $4.00 A minute
Or $2.00 a sq inch for wood products.
Some charge an extra fee for photo work some include it in their pricing.
I would except something like that could fetch between $65.00 and $125 depending the market you’re in. I am sorry I could not be more accurate, but this is not like buying product a for x amount of dollars and marking it up 10% and then reselling it. Too many variables to do that. Which is probably a good thing, otherwise some Borg type box would assimilate all our business.
Hope this helped.

Frank Corker
12-28-2007, 7:50 PM
Keith, looks like excellent stuff there. Did you engrave, infill and then sand down? Looks great though either way.

Mike Null
12-28-2007, 8:40 PM
Keith

My question is the same as Frank's. Your work is great and you have found yourself a splendid artist.

I am not a fan of the substrate so that taints my outlook but it is clearly not ordinary work so I'd be guessing in the $50 area.

Steve McKee
12-28-2007, 8:57 PM
Keith, very nice work. What kind of wood is that? And what did you use to finish it? I'm going to have to agree with Mike, I would think something in the $50.00 range as well. Of course that too depends on the size of the pieces, kind of hard to tell from the photos.

Steve

Larry Bratton
12-28-2007, 9:13 PM
Keith:
That is excellant work! I love the artwork..it's superb. My compliments for a great job!

Joe Pelonio
12-28-2007, 9:38 PM
I agree on both counts, beautiful work and about half the price they should bring.

Keith Bragg
12-29-2007, 7:40 AM
Frank & Mike I engrave first, fill and then finish and yes the artist is amazing he is 78 years old and been drawing Maine wildlife scenes and maps all of his life he also a was finalist for the State of Maine Quarter scene back a few years ago.

The wood is Balsam Popular and they both are about 24x10 I choose the substrate for more of a camp decor or Log home type clientèle I agree it is not a piece that you would normally but in your home I have however done a few of these scenes on mirrors for folks with great results I have not tried anything else if any one has some ideas I would love to hear them.

Steve the finish is just three coats of min wax poly

Thanks for the great comments.

Frank Corker
12-29-2007, 7:50 AM
....ah see, the guy is using the best laser !!!!

Mike Null
12-29-2007, 8:06 AM
Keith

Given the size of the piece I would raise my ballpark price to $75 to $100.

Did you seal the wood before the color fill?

I would be tempted to try that artwork on leather (vegetable tanned rawhide) with a wood frame.

Peter Meacham
12-29-2007, 10:07 AM
Mike - do you have a source for such leather please? Thanks, Pete

Keith Bragg
12-29-2007, 11:21 AM
Mike

Yes I did seal with Min wax sanding sealer prior to filling and finishing.

And I have the same question as Pete do you have a source for the leather.

Thanks

Al Popowski
12-29-2007, 11:54 AM
I do some of these and sell them at shows. The size I have is between 9 & 12"
I sell the small ones for $20 and the larger ones $30 to $40.
I have no complaints about the price and if they want something that needs more work the price goes up.
My cost is between $9 & $12 but their smaller.
Where do you get the slabs?

Mike Null
12-29-2007, 1:23 PM
I bought a whole hide (2 sides) years ago when I lived in Columbus, OH. It was from a leather supplier but not Tandy. (bought for furniture projects which never materialized)

I would check locally for leather suppliers or if you have a Tandy I'm sure they have it.

I've done a number of engravings on it and it is an excellent substrate for rastering and vector cuts well also. I protected it with paste wax.

Matty McQuilkin
12-29-2007, 1:52 PM
Love the layout and design awesome work well done
Matty

Tom Bull
12-29-2007, 2:51 PM
Looks wonderful, you might consider making "the" smaller. It sort of dominates the area of the name. Just a thought.

Bill Cunningham
12-29-2007, 10:00 PM
Wow.. The pictures are a bit deceiving.. I was surprised to see they were that big!! Considering that, and your time involved, $125-$150 for 'your' work and materials would be in the ball park. Plus of course what ever royalty fee you would give the artist for selling a copy of his work.. I would venture to guess, that it took him longer to make the drawing than it took you to engrave it..

Keith Bragg
12-30-2007, 8:13 AM
Actually Tom the letters of the names are almost a inch and half tall I know the photos don't depict that looking at the pictures I would think the same thanks for pointing that out thought.

Bill I commission the the artist to draw whatever I want I pay for his time up front and then they are mine to do I as wish he always keeps a copy for his files but will not sell my art to any one else believe me he has had some old drawings of stuff he done for Great Northern Paper that is no longer even in business I have tried to buy from him he would not sell so I am very comfortable with him not selling my work he is a very talented man. Thanks for your comments