PDA

View Full Version : new delta contractor saw what to use to protect the top.

keith micinski
12-28-2007, 6:35 PM
I am in the process of getting my saw set up and I was wondering what I should use to protect the top and also how often I should protect it. Also I just ordered a ts junior to get everything aligned and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the tool. It seemed like a good investment for only 70.00 to get everything setup and squared away right from the beginning.

Brian Kent
12-28-2007, 6:49 PM
Congratulations!

I use T9 from my local bicycle shop. It is used for bicycles as a lubricant that does not collect dust and dirt.

keith micinski
12-28-2007, 7:03 PM
How often do you apply it? I am only going to se my saw sporadically maybe only a couple times a month sometimes.

Mike Marcade
12-28-2007, 7:47 PM
I use the Boeshield T-9 maybe once a year and then wax every couple of weeks with Johnson paste wax.

Chuck Lenz
12-28-2007, 7:49 PM
I have been useing Minwax paste hardwood floor wax. I would of bought Johnsons but I couldn't find any at the time. Rub it on, let it dry, then buff it out.

Bill Bryant
12-28-2007, 7:49 PM
I have the very saw in my damp basement. I tried other products without success. Then I tried CorrosionX. Not a hint of rust since.

Wipe on, wipe off, forget about it.

Jim Becker
12-28-2007, 8:44 PM
I just use simple paste wax. It happens to be Minwax brand simply because it's been in my shop "forever". SC Johnson wax is a readily available product that will also work fine. I never found the need for special potions for this purpose.

Brian Kent
12-28-2007, 9:11 PM
I re-apply T-9 about every six months. In between I occasionally use wax for a slippery slide.

Joe Mioux
12-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Boeshield is remarkable stuff!!!!

I use it and it works great!!!!

joe

keith micinski
12-28-2007, 10:49 PM
Thanks I will try and find the boesheild if I can and also try some paste wax every couple of months. I also bought a used unifence and was getting it mounted and tuned up tonight. It has the older style painted front rail. I repainted it and am going to apply a new tape to it tomorrow when I get my table built. Is it alright to apply wax to the fence rail to make the fence slide better.

Mike Marcade
12-28-2007, 11:34 PM
I just use simple paste wax. It happens to be Minwax brand simply because it's been in my shop "forever". SC Johnson wax is a readily available product that will also work fine. I never found the need for special potions for this purpose.

That might be true in Pennslyvania, but in the humid south paste wax by itself just doesn't cut it. :D

Chuck Burns
12-29-2007, 1:25 AM
I used Boeshield T-9 followed up by Renaisance wax. The Boeshield isn't near slippery enough by itself and i've had great luck with RW over the years on everything I've tried it on. I used the T-9 because I couldn't find my Corrosion X. The T-9 and CX are quite a bit differnt and after using the T-9 in this appliction I would use the CX next time. I think where the T-9 would shine is when you wanted a surface build up and weren't going to use the surfaces. It seems more akin to LPS 2 or 3 in this regard. I believe it was developed to spray inside of fuselages where you had limited acces and needed corrosion protection/

So I guess I'd recommend Corrosion X followed up by a good paste wax (Renaisance Wax if you can find it).

Paul Fitzgerald
12-29-2007, 1:32 AM
Another vote for T9 Boeshield! I had my bandsaw for less than a week before noticing surface rust. I went down to Sears and picked up some Boeshield.

After cleaning the surface of the table with mineral spirits and steel wool, I applied the Boeshield and let it dry overnight. The next morning I buffed out the tackiness and applied three coats of Renaissance Wax, buffing between coats. Renaissance Wax is a bit expensive at $25 a can, but a little goes a long way.

Not a spec of rust has appeared since then, and the table is slick and smooth.

I plan on reapplying the Renaissance Wax every few months and the Boeshield a couple times a year... depending upon use of course.

Paul

Paul Fitzgerald
12-29-2007, 1:34 AM
I used Boeshield T-9 followed up by Renaisance wax. The Boeshield isn't near slippery enough by itself and i've had great luck with RW over the years on everything I've tried it on. I used the T-9 because I couldn't find my Corrosion X. The T-9 and CX are quite a bit differnt and after using the T-9 in this appliction I would use the CX next time. I think where the T-9 would shine is when you wanted a surface build up and weren't going to use the surfaces. It seems more akin to LPS 2 or 3 in this regard. I believe it was developed to spray inside of fuselages where you had limited acces and needed corrosion protection/

So I guess I'd recommend Corrosion X followed up by a good paste wax (Renaisance Wax if you can find it).

Chuck beat me to it. :D

I purchased my can of Renaissance Wax from Highland Woodworking.

Paul

RickT Harding
12-29-2007, 1:53 AM
I just use paste wax on mine and when not in use I cover it with some thick foam stuff lowes had on roll for floor cushioning. The only rust problem I've had with paste wax was when the garage door opened it dripped and caused it to quicken on the TS. The foam's fixed that up nice.