PDA

View Full Version : spray gun advice

Rick Moyer
12-28-2007, 4:45 PM
If I decide I want to try spray fininshing (absolutely NO experience), what do you recommend I get for a gun? Grizzly is 30 mins away, so I looked at these two: H7669 and H7670. I assume I should go HVLP, but what things should I look for? size of gun, nozzle, cup, etc.
edited:
H7669-1.4mm tip, 600ml plastic cup
H7670--.8mm tip, 100 ml stainless cup
How much coverage will each of these guns cover?
I assume the larger tip gives a larger pattern, would it be too big for certain sized pcs?

I have a 6hp-30 gal. compressor. I would likely be spraying cabinet (bookcase) size stuff, but possibly smaller items if I find I like it. Just not sure what all I need to consider. Is HVLP suitable for paint as well as lacquer,et.al.? Any other wisdom would be helpful:confused:

Thanks.

Joe Pelonio
12-28-2007, 5:36 PM
HVLP is required by law now in many states, suction feed with it's fine overspray is considered too polluting.

The two models you mentioned should be fine, but I'd get both. Many jobs the smaller one will suffice but then if you do get a larger job the finish will look better if you can apply it without stopping to refill the container.

Make sure to get a water filter. I have one very similar to the 7670 that I have used for oil based paint, clear poly, and even water based latex with great results. Never tried lacquer though.

Rick Moyer
12-31-2007, 10:13 AM
bumping for more responses--

Any input as to how much a certain size cup will cover in one coat, depending on the spray medium?
How about enlightening me on the difference tip sizes and why/when you would use one over the other?

I might get both guns as Joe suggested, but would like a little more info to make my decision.

Larry Fox
12-31-2007, 10:22 AM
Best advise I can give you is to post something on Jeff Jewitt's forum (www.homesteadfinishing.com (http://www.homesteadfinishing.com)) in the Spray Equipment subject. This subject is discussed frequently there.

Jamie Buxton
12-31-2007, 11:12 AM
A 100 ml cup won't get you very far on furniture-sized objects. I have a 1 quart cup on my gun, and it is about right for furniture.

General-purpose spray guns handle clear wood finishes and pigmented lacquers. They don't readily spray latex paint. Latex is full of thickeners so that it doesn't splatter off rollers. Latex is generally sprayed with an airless sprayer, which is a different beast.

Rick Moyer
12-31-2007, 12:22 PM
I was reading some other forums and someone mentioned that a gun they got was not recommended for water-based materials. Sure enough, the H7670 manual (online) says it is not for water based materials. Wondering why? I suspect it may have parts inside they are worried about rusting? I would think you could spray alcohol through after using WB mat'l to clear out any water, but maybe I'm wrong:confused:. Anybody have any input on this?

Maybe I'll just get the other gun for now.

Matt Meiser
12-31-2007, 2:03 PM
Porter Cable PSH1 which you should be able to find at Amazon or most PC dealers. I use one and now that I got used to an HVLP it works great for me for anything from shellac to WB lacquer to oil-based enamels for metal. It runs about $90.

Wagner HVLP conversion gun from Gleem Paint (http://www.gleempaint.com) I bought one of those because I couldn't get my PC working and this one had great reviews. It did work well, and after using it I learned to dial in the PC and get it working well too. (I was used to a 60's gun my dad has and had the pressure turned up WAY too high.) Sold it because the PC was easier to clean, being a gravity gun. But it was a tough choice to decide which to keep. The Wagner is about $130.

Theres an Astro (not Asturo or Austro or whatever Jeff Jewitt sells, though I'm sure they are good) HVLP gun that I've seen recommended as a great inexpensive gun as well. You should be able to find something in the archives on it or maybe someone else knows?

Finally, Harbor Freight's 43430 gun gets good reviews from actual users. It is on sale for $40 online right now. Print the internet price and take it with you if you go to the store as they will honor web prices with the printout and the sales don't always line up.