PDA

View Full Version : Hawaiian Milo Vase

George Guadiane
12-28-2007, 2:16 PM
Milo is a stunning wood to work with. The colors can range from a soft pink, through purple with MANY shades of rich browns to almost black. It is harder than my head and turning it end grain can be a challenge. It turns a little like cocobolo, but Milo makes my eyes burn and nose run, even with air filtration.
There was a significant damage (bark/rot?) to the blank so this was the best form I could get from it (in this height). I would have liked to make a calabash, but the blank wouldn't cooperate.
The vase is 8 3/4 inches high by 7 1/2 inches in diameter.
I oil sanded it to 2000 and buffed. It is finished with Tre-Wax, a tropical version of Bre-Wax I think.
As Always, Questions, Comments and Critiques Welcome.

Mike A. Smith
12-28-2007, 2:38 PM
George, that is another fine piece! Never heard of the wood before but "stunning" is a good word for it.

TYLER WOOD
12-28-2007, 2:39 PM
I love the form. It really speaks elegance to me. Gorgeous piece!

Tony De Masi
12-28-2007, 3:05 PM
Stunning piece George. Love the form especially.

Tony

Mike Vickery
12-28-2007, 3:06 PM
I love it George. The form and balance to this piece are exceptional.

robert hainstock
12-28-2007, 3:12 PM
Great form, and finish. Thanks much for shating. :D
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
12-28-2007, 4:13 PM
Very impressive work George! A nice flowing form to the vase, great color variations and what I would describe as a soft finish! This is one of those pieces that begs to be picked up and admired!

Only other comment is: Nice photography!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

David Fried
12-28-2007, 4:23 PM
Great wood and a beautiful piece.

What's a calabash?

Paul Engle
12-28-2007, 5:06 PM
George, I got two pieces from Hawaii in Nov and stunning is the perfect word ... unfortunately for those who have never seen this wood in person ...these pics do not allow one to see just how gorgeous it really is. Very nice work indeed on it. I had to resort to lacquer for the first two pieces , the third has some rot in it and is roughed to a 3x5 "dia bowl and the 4th has a limb gouge in the face side 5 x 7 x3 in thick. You honor Hawaii with your work on this one George. And too think they just plowed this stuff down and burned it at one time....to build homes along the shore line/s.

Steve Campbell
12-28-2007, 5:09 PM
George that is just stunning. I have not tried hollow forms yet. I got a Sorby goose neck hollow form tool for Christmas. I tried it yesterday and was not pleased with results. I can see I have quite a learning curve ahead of me. But I will keep at it. Thanks for giving me something to shoot for.

Steve

Bob Hallowell
12-28-2007, 5:19 PM
George very nice I like the wood and the form!

Bob

Tom Sherman
12-28-2007, 5:52 PM
Great wood, and stunning work George.

Jim Becker
12-28-2007, 5:54 PM
George, that's a wonderful piece. Exquisite wood and form.

Dale Gregory
12-28-2007, 8:41 PM
Greorge, great form, and nice piece of wood. Hope to graduate to HF's in the future.

Dale

Bernie Weishapl
12-28-2007, 9:22 PM
George it is beautiful. The form and finish are awesome. Well done.

Allen Neighbors
12-28-2007, 9:32 PM
George, that is one elegant piece! Pats on the back to you... Very well done! You're right also, this wood could really be nice in calabash form.

George Guadiane
12-28-2007, 10:46 PM
Thanks Team! I actually like this one myself. I appreciate your kind words.
Dave,
Calabash is a somewhat specific form. it's USUALLY a bowl form with a gourd-like shape. Another Hawaiian word for bowl is Umeke. If you do a search for either and call up the pictures, you can get a better idea than I can explain.
Paul,
Sounds like you should turn them anyway, the wood will make it worth the effort.
It kills me that wood of this quality is going to waste, even today. Like on the mainland, you can't be everywhere and I have seen a lot of good turning stock just go to waste here, I can't imagine it doesn't happen there too. In fact, I know for certain that a lot of Kiawe - basically Hawaiian mesquite is going to wast in TONS. There is even too much to burn for barbecue.
Steve, Dale,
Hollow forms can be tricky. I called this a vase because theopening is 3 inches. If I may suggest, try using your hollowing tools in a regular bowl form where you can watch them AND feel them. Once you can control them like that, make 5 or more pieces of roughly the same size and shape... On each successive one, make the hole smaller. By doing that, you will get the feel as you loose the viability.

Bill Wyko
12-29-2007, 1:04 AM
Georgous piece. The form is excellent, one of my favorite styles. Great selection of wood too.

Steve Campbell
12-29-2007, 7:47 AM
Thanks for the tips George. I need to make a couple of straight sided cups. I kind of thought I would practice on them. All I know is that it is going to take some hands on time for me.
Thanks again.
Steve

Glenn Hodges
12-29-2007, 3:54 PM
George, beautiful wood combined with your design makes a truly lovely piece.