PDA

View Full Version : Glue Selection Ideas Needed

Les Heinen
12-28-2007, 1:53 PM
Fixin' to assemble my front exterior doors that I have been working on for the past few months and need help on glue selection. In that this is my first large scale glue up, I want as much pot time as I can get and also for the glue to be waterproof because of the exterior exposure.

Was leaning toward plastic resin but I am not sure that it is waterproof. I emailed DAP and just got a cut sheet but didn't say if their product was waterproof.

I have a bottle of exended titebond but it is only good for up to 45 minutes which may be enough but would really like to know I am not rushed so that I can focus on the alignment, clamping etc.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Have a Safe & Happy New Year

Les

Jay Jolliffe
12-28-2007, 3:01 PM
How about using epoxy....West system or system 3. I know someone that uses epoxy for exterior doors. I did on mine. The first ones I used a polyurethane glue. Made quite a mess. On the next ones I used West System. Worked great & less mess. You can add a thickener to it so it's not so thin.

Matt Mutus
12-28-2007, 3:06 PM
I would go with West system epoxy definitely.

I can give you some pointers if you need - I have extensive experience with it from my years in the marine industry.