PDA

View Full Version : new planer

Mike Stanton
02-23-2004, 10:26 PM
which planer the dewalt 2 speed or the delta 2 speed Would you buy? I just messed up my ridgid planer today. I started to plan a board and did not have the dust collector hose hooked up so I stoped it and put the hose on then started it again. I forgot to raise the planer and start again and it now makes noises and it put a big dent in the plate on the bottom. Mike

Tony Falotico
02-23-2004, 10:36 PM
After drooling over it since Christmas, finally brought it home Saturday. It replaces a 10 yr old Craftsman.

Split a 3/4 piece of maple, planed it down to 2 - 1/4" pieces. Came out of the planer looking like it had been final sanded to 220 grit.

My recommendation: go with the DeWalt 735 (not the 733).

Check out my previous post at: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=6740
and see what others say about the 735

Byron Trantham
02-24-2004, 11:17 AM
I agree with Tony on this one. I got one for Christmas and love it. I had 12 1/2" Delta for several years and it did a good job but the DeWalt is just another level of cool! I looked at the Delta 13" and decided the DeWalt had too many nice features that the Delta does not.

Good luck.

Michael Ballent
02-24-2004, 12:35 PM
I have been drooling over the new DeWalt for a while. Tell you what, buy my Makita and I will purchase the DeWalt :D But really I would go for the new DeWalt, or look around in the used market, I suspect there are going to be a lot of decent Deltas on the market as people look for excuses to upgrade. Just keep in mind that the DeWalt is one heavy beast at about 100 lbs not something you will be hauling off the shelf for planing :)

-Michael

Perry Schmidt
02-24-2004, 1:48 PM
I agree w/ the others. Got my DeWalt 735 around xmas. Excellent machine! The 3 knives is very nice. The 'faster speed' works just fine or most wood, but the extra knive and slower speed (i.e. more cuts/inch) is more than the Delta and works great on figured wood.

Plus the fan-assisted chip ejector really makes a difference when picking up the chips. W/ my DC connected I get very little to no chip mess anywhere! Other planers weren't bad, but the extra assist w/ the fan really keeps the job clean.

Very good, well thought out machine. Only negative I have is it's LOUD. But I haven't met a benchtop planer yet that isn't.

Go for the DeWalt 735.

Perry

Stefan Antwarg
02-24-2004, 7:02 PM
I recently bought the Delta 13" 2 speed. I have to admit that I didn't do a whole lot of research and I chose it mainly because of Woodcrafts 10% Delta sale. Plus the Delta $50 rebate. I think it works fine, although the depth stop is not exactly accurate. As long as I keep my ruler in my hand, everything is fine.

Stefan

Kent Cori
08-11-2004, 1:32 PM
The Delta is on close out at Lowes right now for $229. It is hard to pass up at that price.

Richard McComas
08-11-2004, 3:30 PM
I’ve always used the heavier stationary planers in my shop and thought the lunch box planers would be (for lack of better term) “junky”. Well I had a need for something I could take to the job site so I broke down a couple weeks ago and bought the Dewalt 735. I must say so far I’m surprisingly pleased. No snipe except when I try to plane 1/8 thick stock, all planers I have used have trouble with thin stock so that’s not unique to the Dewalt. The 735 gives good finish and for portable use you can get by without dust collection if you don’t mind the clean up. The Dewalt 735 has a built in fan that shoots the chips out of the machine. The head of the planer move instead of the table and has an automatic headlock.

The 735 also has a build in gauge to help guide you as to how deep a cut you can make with a given width of stock. At 92 pounds in a little heavy but if you keep it on something waist high it’s not too bad to pick up and plane in the truck.

All in all I like it so far.

Larry Ogborn
08-11-2004, 6:15 PM
I would also vote for the 735. I have had one for about 4 months and think it’s great. I also made the mistake of shutting down and restarting without raising the cutter head. With the 735 the only damage was the immediate melting of the rubber drive belt at a cost of around $25. Expensive but I learned my lesson without permanent damage to the planer.

Larry

Warren White
08-11-2004, 7:46 PM
Mike,
I would echo what the others have said about the DeWalt 735. I have had mine since they first came out. I am very pleased with the planer; no snipe, excellent finish result; just a well engineered product. It replaced a very unsatisfactory first-generation Delta 12" planer. IMHO it was a very, very poor piece of equipment.

I thought you might be interested in the stand I made for the planer. (Unfortunately, the Company name has been wrong for quite same time ;) )

Dan Mages
08-11-2004, 8:12 PM
I have the delta two speed and so far it has done a wonderful job at making sawdust!

Dan

Lynn Sonier
08-13-2004, 8:27 AM
I don't think you should leave the Jet 2 speed out of the debate. I have one and really like it.

John Miliunas
08-13-2004, 8:36 AM
After doing a fair amount of research when I was in a similar situation, I went with the yellar' one. :) Very nice unit, though I would suggest getting the infeed/outfeed accessory tables. :cool: