PDA

View Full Version : overseas manufacturers

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-28-2007, 1:40 PM
One thing that might be wise to do before paying the substantial money that those slick Euro machines cost, would be to ask about tech service and parts.

Find out if they have stateside tech and parts. If so how many locations - and what the addresses & Telephones are and the names of the guys in charge and then call them and ask questions. Ask about things like bearing classes or inventory. Just try to get a feel for whether it's real or some half hearted non-effort.

Under no circumstances would I purchase a pricey machine from a company that is not capable of providing technical service and parts.

That one issue was what drove me to Felder and away from another company when their sales geek couldn't even find a tech manual or spec sheet and then admitted that they had nothing in the USA by way of Tech.

When all they got is sales then, the only thing they can do is sell.

On the other hand if they can refer me to a foreign source of parts (but not service) and I can convince myself that it's a reliable source, I might elect to take the chance that I can do all the tech work so long as I can get parts. Maybe. The price would have to reflect that though.

Greg Just
12-28-2007, 2:55 PM
Parts and service after delivery certainly need to be considered before buying - it true with everything we buy these days; well beyond tools. Just look at all the crap we import from China!

John Thompson
12-28-2007, 3:31 PM
I certainly agree with you Cliff. I just posted in another thread about a problem that occured just attempting to purchase what is otherwise an excellent machine from over there from someone here. Again... to repeat what I said there.. a machine, regardless of it's quality is only as good to me as the service and spare parts chain over here.

I would direct anyone to Rojek machines which is sold by Tech-Mark I believe. I went over their machines at IWF a year or so ago. They keep almost every part of the machine in stock in Arkansas. The tech guys there knew their product.

The owner gave me his business card which has his cell phone number printed on the top. He told me if I had any questions or concerns to call him as he was available 24 hours a day if it concerned his product. How much further could you believe in.. back up and endorse your product than giving out your cell phone number and insisting that it would be answered regardless of when you called?

Even though I would not call late evenings... the fact I could got my attention! Nuff said for me....

Sarge..

Ron Dunn
12-28-2007, 4:54 PM
That is just so true.

I have two Inca machines - a bandsaw and a jointer/thicknesser - that are barely used but practically useless because I can't get parts or service for them in Australia.

Generic Chinese equipment would have been a far smarter decision.

Jim Becker
12-28-2007, 6:03 PM
Honestly, this should be a consideration for any equipment one buys no matter where it's manufactured or sold... ;) The Euro companies/brands don't have a monopoly on poor parts availablity...