PDA

View Full Version : 25" Drum Sanders, who has'em

Paul Greathouse
12-28-2007, 1:32 PM
I have been burning up the search function this moring trying to find out as much as I can about closed end 25" dual drum sanders. I also did some poking around on some of the major tool sites for prices.

The following list is what I have come up with so far. If anyone of you have one of these, especially the Accura please comment on how you like it. The Accura is just about the only one I can't find much information on. I did talk to the owner of the company that sells them, seemed like a nice enough guy, said he sells alot of them, but who knows.

Woodtek 25", model#109352, 3HP, $1499+$166.94shipping=$1665.94
Accura 25", model#03525D, 5HP, $1455+$307shipping=$1762
General 25", model#15-250M1, 3HP, $1439+$377shipping=$1816
Shop Fox 26", model#W1678, 5HP, $1980+Free shipping
Grizzly 24", model#G10662, 5HP, $1895+$94 shipping=$1989
Steel City26", model#55220, 3HP, $1899+$140 shipping=$2039

David Duke
12-28-2007, 1:45 PM
Paul, I can't speak for the ones you have listed but I have the 26" Woodmaster http://www.woodmastertools.com/s/drum.cfm , this thing is built like a tank and performs flawlessly, what you really need to watch out for on these is the shipping charges. I was able to find mine used for $1100.00, and this included several rolls of paper, keep an eye out and you may find something.

Pat Germain
12-28-2007, 1:50 PM
FYI, I have a copy of the Grizzly 2008 catalogue sitting right in fron of me. It lists the 24" drum sander as model G1066R. The price is $1,395 and lists "$89 shipping anywhere in the lower 48 states".

Just a bit more of info for you. Happy New Year and happy shopping.

Nancy Laird
12-28-2007, 2:29 PM
Paul, we have the Woodtek DD, and LOVE IT!. We had a small issue with it at the beginning, but now it's a real workhorse in our shop. Can't go wrong with Woodtek machines, IMHO. If we were shopping for a new one, the Steel City would be sitting in our shop.

Nancy

keith ouellette
12-28-2007, 2:30 PM
Out of curiosity, why did you decide to go with a closed end instead of an open end. I have a performax and it works very well

Mike Cutler
12-28-2007, 3:50 PM
Paul

I have the Steel City 26" dual drum sander. Great machine. It does exactly what it's supposed too. Only thing I would change is for the conveyer to start independent of the drum.

Word to the wise. If you're looking at this size drum sander. You need some good dust collection capability. I have the Jet DC1100 and it's not enough for the Steel City.

Mike Cutler
12-28-2007, 3:53 PM
Out of curiosity, why did you decide to go with a closed end instead of an open end. I have a performax and it works very well

Keith.

The biggest benefit is in time saved, and the ability to put heavier material through. I have a Performax 16-32 also, and it's no comparison to a dual drum sander. The Performax is still a nice sander though, so don't get me wrong.

Paul Greathouse
12-28-2007, 4:07 PM

In looking through the old posts I did find many good comments on the open end sanders, in particular the one you have. I also saw a few negative comments also, maybe true, maybe not. From what I've read it appears the closed in sanders are somewhat of a step up, I don't know for sure because I have never used either. Thats the main reason I started this thread in the hope that it would spark more conversation on the subject.

I think everyone would agree that a wide belt sander is top of the line in the sanding world but I really can't justify that kind of expense right now. I can easily afford and justify a closed end drum, I just want to make sure I get the right one. If you have had experince with both and feel the open end drum is better please fill me in.

Richard Wolf
12-28-2007, 4:09 PM
I have the Shop Fox, 26". I is a great machine for those not wanting to spend the money on a belt sander. It takes some getting used to, but is a great time and work saver.

Richard

Paul Greathouse
12-28-2007, 4:18 PM
Paul, we have the Woodtek DD, and LOVE IT!. We had a small issue with it at the beginning, but now it's a real workhorse in our shop. Can't go wrong with Woodtek machines, IMHO. If we were shopping for a new one, the Steel City would be sitting in our shop.

Nancy

Nancy, one of your old posts was what steered me toward the woodtek. It does have the best overall price as I'm sure you saw on my list. The Woodtek, Steel City, Accura & General all look really similar. I noticed the Accura is the only one of the above 4 that has a 5HP motor, I was wondering how much of a benefit that would be. Also please elaborate as to why you would prefer the SC over the Woodtek.

Tony Joyce
12-28-2007, 4:18 PM
Oliver also has one with oscillating drum(s)

Tony Joyce

Paul Greathouse
12-28-2007, 4:23 PM
Paul

I have the Steel City 26" dual drum sander. Great machine. It does exactly what it's supposed too. Only thing I would change is for the conveyer to start independent of the drum.

Word to the wise. If you're looking at this size drum sander. You need some good dust collection capability. I have the Jet DC1100 and it's not enough for the Steel City.

Thanks Mike, I was planning on going with one of the better cyclones, probably Onieda or Clear Vue.

Bruce Page
12-28-2007, 4:28 PM
I can easily afford and justify a closed end drum, I just want to make sure I get the right one.

Then you should also look at the Woodmaster 2675. The Woodmaster is the drum sander you'll find in more commercial shops than any other. It is built like a tank.
I bought mine used for $1500. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=60816

I have had both the open end Delta and the closed end Woodmaster, there's no comparison between the two machines, IMHO.

Paul Greathouse
12-28-2007, 4:35 PM
Oliver also has one with oscillating drum(s)

Tony Joyce

Tony

Checked out their website, looks like one of those "If you have to ask you can't afford it" kind of companies. How much do they go for?

Nancy Laird
12-28-2007, 4:41 PM
Nancy, one of your old posts was what steered me toward the woodtek. It does have the best overall price as I'm sure you saw on my list. The Woodtek, Steel City, Accura & General all look really similar. I noticed the Accura is the only one of the above 4 that has a 5HP motor, I was wondering how much of a benefit that would be. Also please elaborate as to why you would prefer the SC over the Woodtek.

Paul, PM sent.

Nancy

Don L Johnson
12-28-2007, 5:04 PM
Here's a thought for you. I have the Woodmaster 37". It's wide enough to put two different grits of paper on...about 18" of sanding with each grit. It then gives you a wide capacity for those times you may need more than a 26" width. Just another angle to consider.

James Jones
12-28-2007, 5:38 PM
Paul,

I just bought a Woodmaster 3875 drum sander. It has a 5 hp motor. I know it is not the 25 you were questioning about but as for a drum sander it is what I wish I had purchased years ago. I also have a 16/32 Performax and it just doesn't do as good a job as the Woodmaster. I know you don't need the 38" but the 26" will way out perform the 16/32. I live within a resonable close distance to you if you want to run by and use the Woodmaster 3875 just to check out how you might like a closed drum sander. I live in Huntsville, Texas and my e-mail is jamesw77342@yahoo.com if you want to come by. I also got a free digital scale instead of the old mechanical scale and also the free reversing switch so you don't have to walk to the back of the machine to retrieve the board. Here is a picture of it. The 26" is a lot of machine and is a lot cheaper than the 38" one. Just e-mail me if you want to come by.

http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL586/3642218/18578618/293854034.jpg

http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL586/3642218/18578618/293854028.jpg

http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL586/3642218/18578618/293854031.jpg

James Jones

Bruce Page
12-28-2007, 6:06 PM
Paul,

I just bought a Woodmaster 3875 drum sander. It has a 5 hp motor. I know it is not the 25 you were questioning about but as for a drum sander it is what I wish I had purchased years ago. I also have a 16/32 Performax and it just doesn't do as good a job as the Woodmaster. I know you don't need the 38" but the 26" will way out perform the 16/32. I live within a resonable close distance to you if you want to run by and use the Woodmaster 3875 just to check out how you might like a closed drum sander. I live in Huntsville, Texas and my e-mail is jamesw77342@yahoo.com if you want to come by. I also got a free digital scale instead of the old mechanical scale and also the free reversing switch so you don't have to walk to the back of the machine to retrieve the board. Here is a picture of it. The 26" is a lot of machine and is a lot cheaper than the 38" one. Just e-mail me if you want to come by.James Jones

James, very nice machine! Do you like the digital readout? I have not seen one of those before from Woodmaster. I looked on the Woodmaster website but couldn’t find it. Do you have a part number/price on it?

Mitchell Andrus
12-28-2007, 6:26 PM
Powermatic. Love it - eveything goes through it.

Jerry Todd
12-28-2007, 9:07 PM
I purchased the Woodmaster 26" drum sander in 2003 and have been happy with the purchase. Their Customer Service is outstanding.

Robert Payne
12-29-2007, 1:24 AM
Paul, I can't speak for the ones you have listed but I have the 26" Woodmaster http://www.woodmastertools.com/s/drum.cfm , this thing is built like a tank and performs flawlessly, what you really need to watch out for on these is the shipping charges. I was able to find mine used for $1100.00, and this included several rolls of paper, keep an eye out and you may find something.

Then you should also look at the Woodmaster 2675. The Woodmaster is the drum sander you'll find in more commercial shops than any other. It is built like a tank.
I bought mine used for $1500. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=60816

I have had both the open end Delta and the closed end Woodmaster, there's no comparison between the two machines, IMHO.

I purchased the Woodmaster 26" drum sander in 2003 and have been happy with the purchase. Their Customer Service is outstanding.
I've got the 26" Woodmaster 2675 too. Got mine 15 months ago used for $750 and it is rock solid. It came with 8 - 10 meter rolls of paper and had fewer that 20 hours of use. I replaced the H&L PSA strip the holds the paper to the drum (cheap) and have 3 more 25 meter rolls of paper. It is superb for door panels, or large glued up panels like one I did for a Dining Room built-in recently (76" x 20").

Mike Heidrick
12-29-2007, 2:34 AM
I bought a used G1066Z in late October for a steal. Have not used it yet as I have not bought paper for it yet. It has only been used for 9 hours by the previous owner and he only loaded the front drum with paper. I have never used a dual drum before. Have only used my 3HP upgraded 13 year old 22/44 ST and it is awesome (bought from Slav on woodnet). The G1066Z is twice as nice as far as conveyor,setup, build, and fit and finish. I believe it is 5hp. Hope it works as well as it looks.

Jon Heithold
09-08-2020, 12:59 PM
Nancy--
have you ever had to replace the screw bushing inserts on the main thread rod? mine are wore out and I can still get the bushings from Woodworkers Supply but not sure how to go about with the install...
thanks, Jon, Lincoln, NE

Jon Heithold
09-08-2020, 1:04 PM
I have the woodtek 25", been great machine, but now have to replace the screw bushing on the main thread rods. Anybody out there done this on Woodtek dual drum sander?
440648 thanks, Jon, Lincoln, NE

Alex Zeller
09-08-2020, 1:07 PM
I have one of the original Woodmaster 26" drum sanders. It's a pre conveyor belt model. It's been in numerous shops and still works great. While they cost more they are made in the US and, like others said, built like a tank. If I ever decide to upgrade it (because who doesn't like new equipment in their shop) I would replace it with a wider Woodmaster. I would also get the reversing switch so you can feed the wood in and once it has cleared the sanding drum reverse the direction so you get two passes without going to the rear of the machine and waiting for the board to come out.

Rick Potter
09-09-2020, 1:13 PM
Like Don, I have the 37" Woodmaster, and have the drum (single) loaded with two grits, and it is really handy. The 26" is built heavy, like mine and I have had no issues in 15 years.

One thing to note about the Woodmaster is that most of the wear parts are easily found from many sources. Very little is made from hard to replace small parts.

Steve Mathews
09-09-2020, 4:41 PM
I just picked up a Powermatic DDS-225, 25" drum sander. Haven't use it yet so nothing to say for now other than it's a heavy beast.