PDA

View Full Version : A few bowls off my new Jet 1642

Dale Gregory
12-28-2007, 12:45 PM
I finally ran the 230v service for the new Jet lathe and had a chance to finish up a few bowls I had drying for 4-6 months. First is a small 5" cherry bowl finished very thin, a 11" box elder bowl 5" deep, and the last two are what I'm most proud of (not) a very dry 12" spalted maple piece that started out as bowl, then blew up and became a 4 pieces of firewood after I had a catch on the inside with a scraper. I glued it back together just becaused it pissed me off, finished, sanded, and then proceeded to make a lamp shade out of it as I dug right through the bottom. :eek: Eeeeeeeek, I need to start paying more attention as the belt on this unit doesn't slip when you get a catch. Our local guild is having an elevated turning contest, maybe I can use it as part of that, any suggestions??? Anyway, having fun with the new lathe, I've got 2 more bowls to finish and then I'll get a chance to try out some new wet wood.

Dale

Jim Underwood
12-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Hey Dale,
I made one of those this month.
Do what I did:

Dale Gregory
12-28-2007, 1:12 PM
How the heck do you hold your bowl (front and back) to enlarge the hole and finish off the plug on both sides?

I may try that, but this is a lost cause due to gluing the four pieces back together, with the spalting it is doesn't stand out but you can still see the glue lines. It was more for practice than anything.

Dale

Bernie Weishapl
12-28-2007, 1:22 PM
Dale the first two bowls look great. You did a great job on them. Hey the second two just think of them as beautiful funnels. I have got two displayed in my shop as a reminder to keep checking the bottom of the bowl thickness. I also have a couple of bowls I did what Jim U. did and the LOML uses them as candy bowls. She likes the different woods.

Jim Underwood
12-28-2007, 1:56 PM
Dale,
Since I had nearly finished the inside and the outside was all finished, I turned a jam/tenon chuck out of some poplar board that just barely fit the inside of this bowl. It was pretty simple to just pop it on there and with a real light touch turn the patch flush with the bottom. You can see my five photo sequence over on Woodturners Resource (Jim U. AKA underdog)

Mike A. Smith
12-28-2007, 2:33 PM
Dale, the first two look great!

Turn a base for the last one, stick a finial up through the hole and call it Art!

TYLER WOOD
12-28-2007, 2:44 PM
I have a piece I call Art. He doesn't talk to me anymore though. He just sits there and looks at me like I'm stupid or something.:D I guess he heard overheard me telling someone he was a mistake that I tried to fix.

robert hainstock
12-28-2007, 3:29 PM
Brings back recolections of my first hallow form, Pix shows my Fix.:(
Bob78077

Others are very nice.

Steve Schlumpf
12-28-2007, 4:26 PM
Dale - nice looking cherry and box elder bowls! As far as your lampshade - funnels do happen from time to time but sure is some good looking wood!

So - how do you like your new lathe?

Bob Hallowell
12-28-2007, 5:21 PM
Nice looking Bowls Dale, but I hate to tale you one is a funnel!:eek:

Bob

David Fried
12-28-2007, 5:26 PM
Boy, everybody is making sinks now!

Seriously, I have one on my mantle.

Don Eddard
12-28-2007, 8:17 PM
Dale, the first tow bowls look real nice. Sorry about the lampshade, but I think that only means you've arrived as a turner.

Jim, that's one of the nicest funnel recoveries I've seen. Great job.

Dale Gregory
12-28-2007, 8:37 PM
Dale - nice looking cherry and box elder bowls! As far as your lampshade - funnels do happen from time to time but sure is some good looking wood!

So - how do you like your new lathe?

Love the lathe, plenty of power and enough swing for what I want to do. I didn't think VFD was a big deal until I started using it. What a pleasure to be able to adjust speeds on the fly:) I've only finished up 3 bowls and ruined the one with the best wood. I have 2 more spalted maple to finish and one is better looking than the one I messed up, so I have to pay more attention to details. I did find out that the new SN2 jaws hold very well and the wood gives up before the jaws and the lathe do.

Dale

Jim Underwood
12-28-2007, 10:34 PM
Dale,
I think that bowl is worth saving, I hope you can do it. I really like the shape. If you do, please post a pic of the save. If your other bowl is nicer, then I'll really look forward to seeing it.

Don,
thanks, I am fairly proud of the save. I credit Dick Sing for giving me the idea with his inlay techniques. We'll see what the longterm effects are in sidegrain inlays. Should be ok since I lined up the grain and used fairly compatible woods as far as contraction/expansion rates go. I'd probably use a different combo if I had it to do over though.