PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0636X

Michael Hammers
12-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Has anyone here at the creek actually purchased and used this machine?

John Bush
12-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Happy New Year Mike,
I had a Rikon 18"er and was quite happy with it with the exception of wanting a foot brake. I wasn't planning on selling it but had a freind who wanted to buy it so I had the chance to upgrade. I live close to the Bellingham show room and was interested the 636X so I hooked up the trailer and in 90 min. I was drooling all over their floor. I spent quite a bit of time comparing their selection of BSs and narrowed my consideration down to the 636X and the 21" 531. I flexed the blade guide, compared wheel mass, compared fences ,etc, etc, and came to the conclusion they were identical in most areas of comparison. Resaw height wasn't a factor and hp was ample on both so I chose the 531 with the 5hp(only $45 more). There is no way of comparing performance at the showroom so a test drive wasnt possible. I have the room for that size of saw and I had been considering an Aggazani 20" but was looking for a better value. I have seen the MM16 once at a woodworking show and it was quite impressive but I feel both of these models would give all the performance you would ever need. So-------I think you would be happy with both and if you have room for the 531 I recommend it as a first choice. Good luck, John.

P.S. My trailer is a 5 x10 with ~2000# capacity so I thought they could lay it on its back, and I bought a 60 gal compressor as well,so I would be able to have both home easily. Tho well crated, it is so heavy they couldn't use the fork lift to lay it down and I wasn't interested in scurrying down the freeway with 7 ft and 600#s of steel looming in my rearview mirror. I had to spend a bit more for shipping but it was well worth it. I also got the 609X(one week later after waiting 3 mon) and it fit the trailer but was a load at 1000#s. I made mobile bases for both so let me know which you choose and I can forward pics if interested. JCB

Michael Hammers
12-28-2007, 1:01 PM
Happy new year to you also John!
Thanks for the reply, you seemed to be on the same path I am. I was going to call today and get the deal on the end of the year sale for an MM16. 2295.00 plus a mobility base and a mitre fence, but also plus shipping which I believe is 4-500 dollars! So nearly 3k vs. the Griz which is less than 2k. delivered. I just cannot seem to justify the cost difference no matter how hard I try although my druthers is with the MM16. I just hate not being able to do a hands on comparison for something so pricey.
I will take a gander at the 531 now that you mention it. Thanks again for the info, post a fwe pic's when ya get a chance, would love to see your set up!

Steve Milito
12-28-2007, 3:12 PM
Happy new year to you also John!
Thanks for the reply, you seemed to be on the same path I am. I was going to call today and get the deal on the end of the year sale for an MM16. 2295.00 plus a mobility base and a mitre fence, but also plus shipping which I believe is 4-500 dollars! So nearly 3k vs. the Griz which is less than 2k. delivered. I just cannot seem to justify the cost difference no matter how hard I try although my druthers is with the MM16. I just hate not being able to do a hands on comparison for something so pricey.
I will take a gander at the 531 now that you mention it. Thanks again for the info, post a fwe pic's when ya get a chance, would love to see your set up!

I have seen the Griz, and it is a very nice machine. Yet, you should call MMi if your heart is set on a MM16. I believe the current sale includes a mobility kit, miter, and two blades. Shipping depends on where you are located, but it should be closer to $250.

Michael Hammers
12-28-2007, 3:41 PM
I did indeed miscalculate the shipping cost. I swore i thought it was higher but after dealing with several vendors in the past few weeks it is easy to get confused:p

Actually the MM is "MM16 delivered to your door with a liftgate truck is $221 ($181 if you get it at the local terminal), not the 3-400 you thought."

And Yes that makes a BIG difference.

Bob Willcox
01-07-2008, 4:17 PM
To answer the OPs question, I just received a G0636X from Grizzly but haven't had a chance to try it yet (still waiting on getting power to). I'm not much of a band saw expert, but have used a Delta 14" one some over the years. I really can't compare this machine to its competition (I've never used a BS of this class), but will say that its fit and finish looks great. I'm really looking forward to trying it out, but that will have to wait till I can get a 30A/220V circuit to it.

Bob Willcox
01-09-2008, 9:28 PM
I am still working on getting my G0636X bandsaw setup and have just put it in the mobile base (model G7315) that was recommended by Grizzly (in the owner's manual) and that I got from them. Unfortunately, I'm pretty disappointed in this base as it seems flimsy and it still takes two people to move the band saw (I suspect the casters aren't so good).

Anyway, can anyone recommend a better mobile base that I could get? The footprint of the saw is 23 5/8 x 29 1/2.

John Browne
01-09-2008, 10:52 PM
I got the Shop Fox mobile base when I bought my Griz 17" band saw, and found it almost impossible to move. Ditto the same base under my Griz 8" jointer, bought at the same time.

Called Griz CS and told them--they said they had had some bad casters and would replace them. New casters came and both machines roll much easier. I was all set to sell the SF bases before the new casters, now I find them acceptable for the small amount I have to move the equipment.

CAll them--cheaper than a new base.

Bob Willcox
01-10-2008, 9:48 AM
Thanks for the info. Think I'll be calling Grizzly CS today and see if I can get them to send me some new casters.

Dick Sylvan
01-10-2008, 6:38 PM
Bob, I see you live in Austin, so I assume you were able to fully inspect the MM16 at their local showroom. Can you tell us what your impressions of the Griz 636 vs the MM16 and why you choose the Griz, please?