PDA

View Full Version : I bought a nova G3 chuck any pros or cons

Les Kuesel
12-28-2007, 9:33 AM
I just got into the vortex way less than a year ago so am still trying to collect some of the basic stuff. I have been looking at buying a good quality chuck for some time. It really was is a hard choice with so many out there. I only have a lathe with a 12" swing and was thinking that a full size chuck maybe to much for my lathe. (HF-- Jet look alike) I did get a pretty good deal on the Nova I think. It was on sale for $120 with a free threaded insert and if you spent over $100 you got a $20 gift card and free shipping. About the only thing now I need is a good sharpening system. So hopefully one will go on sale in the next couple months. My shop isn't heated yet and its been cold. Thanks

Rasmus Petersen
12-28-2007, 11:19 AM
i just got the nova before christmas and ... JOY i love it realy nice machining..

Paul Engle
12-28-2007, 11:37 AM
Les , I have had a G3 and a SN2 for nearly a year on my jet 1236 and love em. I have the 50mm , 100mm , 45mm spigot jaws , get extra screws 6x6mm , and the screw chuck for bowl work and the drive point center so you won't have to take the chuck off for spindle work.A little copper coat or vasiline or anti sieze compound for the screws that hold the jaws if you do a lot of jaw changing oh and an xtra allen wrench just in case. remember you do not need to reef on the screws that hold the jaws, a nip and tuck is sufficent when first installing the jaws.Enjoy and Happy New Year !!!

Mike A. Smith
12-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Les, I got one several months ago for my mini and it makes so many things so much easier! I haven't found anything that I can turn on the mini that it won't handle.

Mike Henderson
12-28-2007, 12:56 PM
I have a SuperNova2 and the Barracuda2 chucks - I use them on a Jet 1236 lathe. The SuperNova2 is very well made but the system is expensive. I paid $140 for the chuck, then had to buy the adpator and the extra jaws. Extra jaws list at about $60 each so you can tie up a lot of money fast. The advantage of the Nova system is that the jaws fit all their chucks.

The Barracuda2 is not made as well, but for about $160 you get the chuck, adaptor, and a fairly complete set of jaws.

I bought the Barracuda2 as my first chuck and I think that's the proper order to buy them - it's a good starter chuck.

Mike