PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1.5 horse Shaper-good machine?

Matthew Barrett
12-28-2007, 7:36 AM
I am considering this machine. Have compared to Grizzly. Jet is more expensive, although may be better quality. Upgrading from a router table set up. I think that the shaper will give me more opportunity over a home built router table without the fuss and expense of building one. Can I get some feedback on this machine versus what others may have or have decided in the upgrade process?

keith ouellette
12-28-2007, 8:22 AM
The only thing I don't like about the shaper vs router table is the cost of shaper tooling. I had a shaper on a combo machine but never had the chance to use it. Good tooling was to expensive. There are so many profiles you can get with a router. If I had the money and space I would love to have a shaper for large cutting heads though some people use the router bits in the shaper and have no problems but if you were going to use router bits why not just have a router.

As to jet being better quality. I have a jet table saw and a grizzly jointer. I like them both but think the table saw was built better and would like to see a jet jointer.

David Weaver
12-28-2007, 8:29 AM
I think it depends on what you're running. If you can run all 15 amps at full speed in a 1.5 hp shaper with a wide bit, that seems like a huge advantage over running a router on its lowest speed.

I have a PC 7518, and it's not the most impressive thing in the world on the lowest speed setting and wide bits. Being able to take advantage of all 15 amps on wide bits would be nice.

On smaller bits - like small straight and spiral cutters, or for doing a small chamfer, I think it would be a waste of time compared to a good dedicated table router.

Jim Becker
12-28-2007, 8:57 AM
There is not much "gain" over a modern router table with a 15 amp router in these 1.5hp shapers and you lose some of the speed flexibility. The tables also tend to be small and you can't use the larger shaper cutters. That said, most of them are pretty much based on the same general design and technology...many of them are virtually identical. Pick based on how you feel about the brand, your dealer, if buying local, and...your favorite tool color. Be sure that you can use a router bit spindle and that it's included with the machine, too.

As I said in another thread, when investing in a shaper, the 3hp machines are probably the better buy in the long run, even with the higher initial cost. More versatile. More power. More table to work on, etc.

Gary Keedwell
12-28-2007, 9:56 AM
Don't forget the noise factor...something to be said about induction motors.:)

Gary

Mike K Wenzloff
12-28-2007, 10:23 AM
I am considering this machine. Have compared to Grizzly. Jet is more expensive, although may be better quality. Upgrading from a router table set up. I think that the shaper will give me more opportunity over a home built router table without the fuss and expense of building one. Can I get some feedback on this machine versus what others may have or have decided in the upgrade process?
While I also had a 3/hp shaper, the small Jet was used a lot in our shop. After purchasing the small Jet, the router table was given away to a friend.

As mentioned, due to the speed difference, small router bits are the "problem." But not if one uses spiral bits. The only small bits that present speed issues are say 1/2" down. So when I did 1/4" drawer bottom grooves with it (usually used the WoodRat) I found no difference if the bit was a spiral bit.

But it is the larger bits where the difference is--aside from the mentioned sound (a shaper runns much quieter). Any bit with a profile runs much better, the larger the better. And while custom profile bits are spendy, they are at least possible on the shaper. The largest ones I have had made for our Jet was a 3 1/2".

Feed is important. Like with a router table, if you don't have an automatic feeder on a shaper take the cuts in a couple passes. A good investment is the Delta sliding shaper jig:
http://www.amazon.com/Delta-43-188-Sliding-Shaper-Jig/dp/B00004TQG7
(Good for router tables as well.)

Hold down is also important. The metal hold downs are next to worthless. The type for router tables, table saws, etc., work better.

Respect a shaper. It'll hurt you faster than a router table.

All that said, a router table doesn't have to be an exercise in furniture building. Most professionals I know spent a couple hours or less to construct one. All it needs to be is a stout box and a hole. The fence need not be more than a good (and disposable) piece of wood that pivots from the out-feed side. This allows one to quickly make zero-clearance fences for the cutter in use when using a profile bit instead of fiddly inserts.

Take care, Mike

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-28-2007, 1:18 PM
Never even been in the same room as one but, isn't 1.5-HP Chinese a tad weak?

Justin Bukoski
12-28-2007, 3:50 PM
Cliff, I have a 1.5 hp shaper from Griz (Chinese) and not only is it just as powerful as the 3 HP router in the router table its much smoother and a hundred times quieter. I put small bits in the router table and everything else in the small shaper. The larger shaper is reserved for shaper cutters only.

Now I also have a 3.6 HP shaper with an Italian motor and there is just no comparison to the power this thing has and the smaller shaper or router table.

Chuck Burns
12-29-2007, 2:03 AM
I'd suggest that you wait and purchase a 3 or 5 HP shaper. My previous one was a 1 or 1/2 HP Craftsman; there is no comparison between it and my 5 HP PM. The 30x40 table is nice too.