PDA

View Full Version : Argh, pencil pots

Gary Herrmann
12-27-2007, 8:00 PM
I wound up going through the side on my pencil pot tonight. The inside wasn't all that even - I went through while sanding! Created a nice little slit on the side of the pot. Must have been where I had a catch.

I find it difficult to control the tool when its 4-5 inches over the tool rest in a confined space. Even the hunter tool was chattering and screeching.

I imagine I'll get better at as I try more. Hope so anyway. :rolleyes:

What are the rest of you doing to make pencil pots?

I suppose I can try a forstner bit next time. Probably have to clear it often to avoid bluing the bit. I wonder if there are better bits for that application?

I guess a hollow form tool is another option, but I think thats a while down the road for me yet. I spent a lot on tools this year.

Advice for a frustrated turner appreciated. Time for a beer.

Moderators - can you please move this to the turning forum? Apparently, I can't read.

Robert McGowen
12-27-2007, 9:33 PM
Hi Gary,

I don't know how wide your opening is, but can you turn the tool rest at an angle and place the end of it inside of the opening. Then your tool might only be an inch or so over the rest even though you are 5" or 6" inside the form. Good luck........

Richard Madison
12-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Gary,
It is handy (although not strictly necessary) to drill a 1" or larger hole to within, say, 1/4" of where the inside bottom will be. I have used brad points and forstners up to 2" diameter. Prefer to save the big forstners for when I really need 'em though. Sometimes difficult to drill a straight hole, even when your spindle and tailstock quill are perfectly aligned. What? Have found that the center points of some of my (admittedly low end) bradpoint bits are not in the center of the bit. Same is true of some of the similar quality forstners.
Used to do the rest of the "hollowing" with a dandy home-made hook tool that my friend Bill sent me. Lately have been using a home-made tool with #3 Hunter bit, with pretty good results. It can be a little tricky, but suggest taking light cuts with very smooth traverse from top to bottom (and vice versa) of the workpiece. Practice light cuts and smooth traverse. Hold the tool with plane of the cutter at 45 degrees or even closer to vertical.
Am still learning to find the sweet spot, but trouble seems to follow trying to "hog" too much.

David Fried
12-27-2007, 11:03 PM
What's a pencil pot? - Thanks.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-27-2007, 11:17 PM
David....a wooden"glass" if you will....like a teacher or office worker would use to put pens and pencils in....

Ken Fitzgerald
12-27-2007, 11:20 PM
Gary,

I might treat this like I was turning a pepper grinder. Drill the holes first using a forstner bit and then let my live center keep it centered while I turn the outside.

BTW...I had the opportunity to use a forstner bit on my new lathe last week. It sure was nice to be able to turn the speed down to say 200 rpm and still have the power to drill. I'm sure it was easier on the bit.