PDA

View Full Version : Turn A Thoners

Julie Wright
02-23-2004, 9:13 PM
Hey guys,
How many pen blanks are you gonna prep? How many folks have you gotten signed up to help YOU turn the Pens?

Just courious?

We are supposed to have 5 lathes going in the front window, There are two classes that day. Have contacted the local media, no response Yet! There are 5 definated turners and a few who have signed on from our little club with store employees encourged to help turn too. :)

Keith Outten
02-23-2004, 9:48 PM
Julie,

I have ordered 150 pen kits from Ken for the Norfolk Turn-A-Thon so I will most likely prepare 150 blanks, possibly more. If I decide to take a variety of turning blanks such as Corian the total would be much higher. I doubt that I will drill the blanks since I'm not sure what kits others may bring.

The Norfolk Turn-A-Thon is co-sponsored by the Tidewater Turners, they will provide enough turners for the event. Of course we will have some SMC Members there as well, I expect we will turn a few pens also so we should be able to keep 7 or 8 lathes busy.

Jerry Stringer
02-23-2004, 11:46 PM
Hey guys,
How many pen blanks are you gonna prep? How many folks have you gotten signed up to help YOU turn the Pens?

In Fort Worth on the 13th of March we are supposed to have 6 lathes going from 10am - 5pm. I was told that between the guys who work there, the Woodturners of North Texas, and myself, I doubt that they will have any down time.

Ray, the manager, said that he would provide everything but I'll go ahead and cut and glue tubes in about 25 blanks for me to use. We just get the pen kits off of the shelf and use them but we have to turn in the empty packages at the end of the day so that Ray can get a count of how many we used.

I'll probably do everything on slimline because it goes a lot faster and simpler. When I have an audience I want to minimize anything that can go wrong. That's not the time to be cutting tenons or parting down to the tube for the more advanced kits. Plus, I can show folks how a simple kit can be used to make a more creative pen with the different lines and shapes in the wood.

I expect that in 7 hours I will probably only get about 10-12 pens turned. I figure that if Woodcraft is gonna let me push our program, I need to push Woodcraft in return. I explain evey step I'm doing, tell people how Woodcraft has everything they need, let folks touch and feel, and answer questions. I try to make it look easy and look like I'm having fun (which I am - I LOVE doing this!!). If I can get a non-turner interested, it can be another customer for Woodcraft - and they are much more willing to help me if I help them. I think that at the demo I gave for Woodcraft a few weeks back, I sold at least 2 lathes for them. Managers like that!

And don't forget . . . WEAR A FREEDOM PENS SHIRT while you are there! it looks very professional!

C Ya!

Jerry

Julie Wright
02-24-2004, 7:02 AM
Way To Jerry,
Two lathes sold and you dont even work there !!
Yes, DOnt forget Your FPP shirts..