PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a shaper

Matthew Barrett
12-27-2007, 6:21 PM
I am looking to upgrade from a basic router table set up. Most shapers are out of my price range at $1500-2000. Don't need anything heavy duty but would be nice to do raised panels. I have looked at Grizzly and Jet. Any advice for me out there?

Raymond McInnis
12-27-2007, 8:23 PM
Matthew, your $1500-2000 figure is in the ballpark, according to fw annual issue, winter 2007, pp 86+.

the article covers specs to look for, but makes no recommendations for models to buy.

if you live in or near an urban center, why don't you consider a used one?

Jim Becker
12-27-2007, 8:34 PM
Biggest advice I can give is go with a 3hp unit and one that can support a variety of spindle sizes...including a router bit attachment. But unless you are running a lot of jobs that require the heft of a shaper, a good router table setup will more than supply the work without the major cost and more flexibility with regard to cutter speed.

Justin Bukoski
12-27-2007, 8:45 PM
In addition to the shaper I have on my combo I have a 1 1/2 HP shaper from Grizzly. I get much smoother cuts on both shapers as opposed to the router table (which I still use). I use the 3.6 HP shaper on the combo for deeper cuts. The 1 1/2 hp shaper I use for lighter cuts or do 2 passes.

I have to admit I was pretty nervous the first time I used the shaper because of the reputation. What I realized is its no more or less dangerous than the router table. Just make sure you understand the safe way to use one.

Ron Bontz
12-27-2007, 10:18 PM
I could not wait to get my 3HP shaper. Oddly enough now that I have it I use my router table more by far. The newer raised panel router cutters,2+2, or triple wing do a much smoother job and I always allow for a "Finish pass" when making raised panels. Unless I have so much molding that it is going to take hours and hours to do or a whole lot of raised panels, I use my router table. IE: 3HP, with router lift, and dust collection. Not being able to spend the money on a 3HP or larger shaper I built a nice router table /cabinet for alot less than $1,000.00. It allowed me to save for what I really wanted. It did almost burn a hole in my pocket though.:)

Jamie Buxton
12-27-2007, 10:23 PM
If you're on a budget, look for a used 3 hp Delta. It is the Unisaw of the shaper world. Delta's been making basically the same shaper for decades, and it is a good machine. In my area, they show up on craigslist every few months. The typical price is $800 or so without a power feeder.

Stephen Cherry
12-19-2010, 11:01 PM
The first thing to decide is if you want a 3/4, or a 1 1/4 inch spindle machine. The first misconception is that you need to spend a lot of money. There are tons of used shapers out there. For a basic 3/4 inch spindle, it's hard to get a better value than the delta hd shapers (43-340?). If you are willing to scrounge, they are out there cheap. I bought two for 300 dollars. Richard at the OWWM site can rebuild bearing cartridge, and supply spindles. Don't be afraid of 3 phase, with a factorymation teco vfd, you are only 180 dollars away from being phase converted. This will add variable speed capability as well.

For real material removal, a 1 1/4 inch spindle machine is the way to go. A 1 1/4 inch spindle is massive, compared to router bits, or even a 3/4 inch spindle. It has the ability to turn cutters that look like pretty good sized boat propellers. Using one of these machines takes planning on each setup- it's not like setting up the scroll saw on the kitchen table. I just bought a scmi shaper with a feeder (800 bucks), and am just getting into it.

Ebay is your friend for tooling. I'm pretty lucky and have oella saw just around the corner from me. I've had several sets of knives made up for some things that I am working on.

Cary Falk
12-20-2010, 11:00 AM
I have a home made protable router table with a home made fence and a M12V router. I was getting tired of the inaccuraof the fence. I started looking around to upgrade the router table. I decided it was more cost effective to move to a shaper. I would have eventually made it there . I jumped on the Grizzly this summer when it was $800. I also purhcased the router bit adapter. I have not used my router table since. I love the large flat cast iron table. The fence is nothing fancy but it has micro adjusts on the infeed and outfeed that is way ahead of the one on my router table. I have slowly been buying shaper cutters when they are on sale. For some of the profiles the 3/4" bore shapper cutters are actually cheaper than the routerbit version. I have found Infinity cutters to be very reasonable.

David Prince
12-20-2010, 1:03 PM
Is it just my computer or are we responding to a thread that originated in 2007?

Rod Sheridan
12-20-2010, 1:17 PM
David, even a 3 year old thread on shapers hasn't been beaten to death!.....LOL...............Regards, Rod.

John Petsche
02-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Great tips on delta repairs, thanks.

Van Huskey
02-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Make that 4 1/2 years! Wonder if Matthew ever got a shaper?

frank shic
03-01-2012, 9:39 AM
would love to have a 5 hp shaper and be able to raise a panel in one swipe...

david brum
03-01-2012, 10:03 AM
A good shaper thread trumps a band saw thread every time.:D

Van Huskey
03-01-2012, 10:19 AM
A good shaper thread trumps a band saw thread every time.:D

A box is a box is a box.

A box by any other name...would look like a shaper. :D

david brum
03-01-2012, 11:17 AM
What are you trying to say?:D