PDA

View Full Version : Benchtop Planer Suggestions?

Rob Luter
12-27-2007, 5:04 PM
Greetings to all,

I've come to the conclusion that my life would be a whole bunch easier if I had a benchtop planer. Anyone particularly happy with the one they have? Any horror stories on those I should avoid?

I'd like something with blades that can be sharpened rather than just replaced.

Thanks in advance,

- Rob

David Tiell
12-27-2007, 5:08 PM
Rob,
I have the Delta 22-580 and love it. It's been a workhorse in my shop. It usually goes for about the same as all the others, but once in a while you can find it on Amazon for under $300. As for the blades, I personally love the replaceable blades. They change out in about 15 minutes total time, are double-sided so you get double use out of them, and run about $30-35 a set. I don;t know if the time, effort, and cost required for blade sharpening is worth all that. Not in my book anyway, at least not until I get a bigger planer.

Dave

John Pohja
12-27-2007, 5:13 PM
Ditto on the 22-580. Don't care for a lot of Delta's stuff but they hit the nail on the head with this planer. Durable, easy blade change, accurate, good dust collection,minimal snipe,etc. If something happened to mine, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. John

Matt Mutus
12-27-2007, 5:24 PM
I don't have one, but took notice of how people praise the The Makita 2012NB (http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000051ZOO/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_summary?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending).

It also supposedly runs noticably quieter than other planers in it's class (if that's important to you) (not just the first guy says it but it's a common theme throughout all the reviews.)

Joe Mioux
12-27-2007, 5:29 PM
Even after buying a j/p, I still use the Delta 22-580. I should sell it, but it is so convenient to use. It is a great tool!

joe

Nancy Laird
12-27-2007, 5:35 PM
Rob, here are links to, in order, Makita, Woodtek, Delta, and Steel City. The Makita is a 12"; the others are 13".

http://pro.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=115-946 - $512.99/39.99

http://pro.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=108-722 - $349.99/42.49

http://pro.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=22-580 - $429.00/53.99

http://pro.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=040-200 - $419.99/55.99

All of these have flip-down infeed and outfeed tables, while some other brands don't.

If I were in the market, I would just compare the specs and buy what best fits the wallet. My preferences would be, in order, Woodtek, Steel City, Delta, Makita.

Just my 1.98.

Nancy

David Tiell
12-27-2007, 5:39 PM
Rob, here are links to, in order, Makita, Woodtek, Delta, and Steel City. The Makita is a 12"; the others are 13".

http://pro.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=115-946 - $512.99/39.99

http://pro.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=108-722 - $349.99/42.49

http://pro.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=22-580 - $429.00/53.99

http://pro.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=040-200 - $419.99/55.99

All of these have flip-down infeed and outfeed tables, while some other brands don't.

If I were in the market, I would just compare the specs and buy what best fits the wallet. My preferences would be, in order, Woodtek, Steel City, Delta, Makita.

Just my 1.98.

Nancy
Right now, Amazon has the Delta for $399 and free shipping.

Michael Ballent
12-27-2007, 5:39 PM
I don't have one, but took notice of how people praise the The Makita 2012NB (http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000051ZOO/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_summary?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending).

It also supposedly runs noticably quieter than other planers in it's class (if that's important to you) (not just the first guy says it but it's a common theme throughout all the reviews.)

It's all true, I love mine... but I will be selling it soon :(

Shannon Seelig
12-27-2007, 5:42 PM
I have the makita as well. I like mine too. Leaves a nice clean finish. Haven't changed the blades yet, but I have heard that they are a "breeze".

J.D.Redwine
12-27-2007, 6:03 PM
I've worked a Ryobi AP 10 hard since 1986 with no problems. The blades are resharpenable and still available. Used AP 10's can still be found.

Matt Mutus
12-27-2007, 6:56 PM
It's all true, I love mine... but I will be selling it soon :(

1) what are you getting instead?

2) how much are you selling it for? :)

Michael Ballent
12-27-2007, 7:13 PM
1) what are you getting instead?

2) how much are you selling it for? :)

I have been out of the WW game for a while so I will not be replacing it with anything, and I am researching a fair price for it and the other equipment that I will selling (BS,Jointer, Scroll Saw). The SawStop is not going anywhere though, nor any of the Festool. :D I will be contributing the SMC so I can post in the classified section. Would rather sell here than Craigslist, newspaper etc.

Loren Hedahl
12-27-2007, 7:15 PM
I also have a Ryobi AP 10 that I bought well used from a woodworker neighbor
when he upgraded to a DeWalt.

For all the bad press that Ryobi gets, I don't think it applies to this machine. The blades are re-sharpenable, in fact I don't even know if a replaceable blade conversion is available. He always sent his out for sharpening, but I have a Tormek that works out quite well.

I don't know of any new lunch box planers that use resharpenable blades, but this one does, as does my neighbors DeWalt. The advantages of the DeWalt are better dust collection, reduced snipe and two inches greater width.

I do my planing outside and never get boards even near the 10 inch width. If I am careful setting up my infeed and outfeed tables, the snipe is virtually eliminated.

Frank Caponi
12-27-2007, 7:35 PM
Rob - I bought a Portable Planer last year out of job site need - I looked at everything and bought the DeWalt 735 - Its is a great thickness planer - It has moved from job to job and still works great - Twin speed, really easy blade changes with the tool you need to remove the cover and the blades mounted right in the top, and easy to set thickness gauge that so far has been pretty accurate - I own a PM 20" Planer for the shop - If your looking to get the same results from a portable planer that you get from a stationary one I do not know of a portable machine that could give me the same results as my shop planer

John Newell
12-27-2007, 7:56 PM
I just did a lot of research on this recently and bought a DW734.

The DW735 (which I didn't buy) seems to have been everyone's favorite for several years. It is more expensive, though, and more importantly (to me right now) it is on the heavy side. (The 734 weighs 15-20 pounds less, which matters.)

The FWW Shops & Tools (is that the right title?) issue on the newstands right now has an article on these. It might be useful reading.

I'm getting very good results from my 734 and am very pleased with the price and its performance. Heads-up: you can find some of these machines for sale as factory refurbs for significant savings.

Monroe Brown
12-27-2007, 8:37 PM
I've had my 22-580 for over 4 years now. Great tool! Easy to operate, easy blade changes, great finish, and little or no snipe. Highly recommended.

Regards,

kmb

Ron Bontz
12-27-2007, 10:27 PM
I do not own a portable planer, and I suspect you will get as many opinions as there are planers. I did see high praise , as in the best out there, for a Dewalt portable planer in one of the wood magazines some time back. Perhaps if you know someone close by with one you could try his out Good luck:)

Ron Bontz
12-27-2007, 10:27 PM
I do not own a portable planer, and I suspect you will get as many opinions as there are planers. I did see high praise , as in the best out there, for a Dewalt portable planer in one of the wood magazines some time back. Perhaps if you know someone close by with one you could try his out Good luck:)

John Callahan
12-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Another plug for the Makita 2012NB ........ minimal snipe, leaves a nice finish, quieter than the Delta 22-580 or the DeWalt 735 (the noise from the 735 can raise the dead- it's over 100 dB and more portable than either. Been pleased with mine. Downside- less capacity than DW or Delta (the Makita is 12") and you have to pay extra for the dust hood.

Pat Germain
12-27-2007, 11:03 PM
Yet another thumbs-up for the Delta 22-580. I had a little trouble with snipe when I first started using it, but it was the first time I had ever used a planer. I have since eliminated snipe by making sure the cutting is locked down good and tight and doing the "nickel setup" with the fold-down tables. It rocks!

Tom Micheline
12-27-2007, 11:08 PM
I'm also in the market for a bench top planer. Two features that some of the more expensive ones have are two speed planing and a chip blower.
Those of you that planers with those two features, would you say that they make a big difference? How much of a premium are they worth? Thanks!

Pat Germain
12-27-2007, 11:14 PM
I've neverr changed the speed on my planer. I've yet to see a good reason to do so. :confused:

What's a chip blower? I had to buy a dust collector port for my planer, which I really think should come with it, but it works great. FYI, I wouldn't recommend using a planer without a DC unless it's used outside exclusively.

Todd Jensen
12-27-2007, 11:50 PM
I've been very happy with my Dewalt DW734. I tried the Makita and just didn't care for it as much as I like my Dewalt. JMO, I think some of these things may boil down to personal preference.

Tom Micheline
12-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Some planers (the craftsman 21759 & DeWalt 735 & probably others) have built in blowers that act as a built in dust collector. To be honest, I didn't even know that that feature existed until I read about it in the FWW Tools&Shops planer review that is currently on the stands.

Theoretically, the slower speed on the dual speed planers should produce a finer finish because it makes more cuts per inch (blades rotate at same rate but board moves more slowly). From reading different peoples opinions on the various planers it seems some see a big difference in quality and some see none.

It is all theory to me... I've never actually used a planer. I only started woodworking a couple of months ago and it is pretty hard to really get a grasp on what feature are really important and which are just marketing (or maybe important to some but not to me).

Brian Penning
12-28-2007, 5:05 AM
I'm surprised there aren't more suggestions for the Ridgid planer. very satisfied with mine and would buy it again.
Some reviews here...
http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/rgd13plnrvu.html

http://benchmark.20m.com/reviews/RidgidPlaner/RidgidTP1300Review.html

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuideProduct.aspx?id=5455

Rob Luter
12-28-2007, 6:02 AM
Thanks to all for the input. I picked up the FW Tools and Shops issue with the planer reviews and they've been helpful too. The issue I have with replaceable blades (that cannot be sharpened) is cost over the long haul. I was looking real hard at the DW735 until I read some reviews on Epinions.com. It was universally praised except for two issues: poor blade quality (dulls quickly, nicks easily) and feeder slippage. At $50 a throw for blades, that could add up quick based on the claims that were made about how quick they get beat up. I'd at least like to be able to sharpen them if I chose.

Ken Shoemaker
12-28-2007, 6:46 AM
Delta... You could run a brick thru it. Blades are a no brainer to change, and double edged.

John Newell
12-28-2007, 10:34 AM
Brian, I looked and called and drove all over trying to find that one - it was my first choice. NG, could not find one anywhere within a hundred miles. It was replaced several months ago by a newer model that does not appear to be as good and definitely is not as good a value (same or higher price, no stand included). If the OP sees one for sale, it would be a great purchase.

I'm surprised there aren't more suggestions for the Ridgid planer. very satisfied with mine and would buy it again.
Some reviews here...
http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/rgd13plnrvu.html

http://benchmark.20m.com/reviews/RidgidPlaner/RidgidTP1300Review.html

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuideProduct.aspx?id=5455

John Newell
12-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Thanks to all for the input. I picked up the FW Tools and Shops issue with the planer reviews and they've been helpful too. The issue I have with replaceable blades (that cannot be sharpened) is cost over the long haul. I was looking real hard at the DW735 until I read some reviews on Epinions.com. It was universally praised except for two issues: poor blade quality (dulls quickly, nicks easily) and feeder slippage. At $50 a throw for blades, that could add up quick based on the claims that were made about how quick they get beat up. I'd at least like to be able to sharpen them if I chose.

You are going to find some bad reviews for anything on the web (you knew that, but it's worth saying again). My conclusion from the complaints about the knives was that there was a batch (maybe a large batch) of bad knives. I also read that a number of people got free replacements from DeWalt, though, when they complained to customer service.

I bought a set of replacement knives from an eBay seller for <1/2 the cost of retail, which helps, but there is definitely a razor/razor blade issue here, potentially.

Chuck Tringo
12-28-2007, 11:06 AM
I know there are some who wouldnt buy anything from sears with a power cord, but one of the magzines recently rated the new Craftsman Proffesional 13" better than the dewalt, a big plus was the digital depth gauge. And if you wait a bit and catch it during a Craftsman club sale, you can probably get it for less than $400.

Don Bullock
12-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Greetings to all,

I've come to the conclusion that my life would be a whole bunch easier if I had a benchtop planer...

You've got that right. I've really enjoyed mine and can't believe that I waited so long to get one.

I'd like something with blades that can be sharpened rather than just replaced...

I can't help you there. Most benchtop planers seem to come with blades that are replaced, not sharpened.

I bought the DW 735 because of the many reviews and posts that praised it and I'm very pleased. Your needs and budget may differ.

Frank Caponi
12-28-2007, 12:39 PM
One more thing - Just to follow up on my purchase of the DW735 - I have read some comments regarding the blades and the rollers - I guess maybe that I am realistic regarding what life span I can reasonably expect from a set of replaceable blades - On the feed roller issue - I have a friend who also purchased the DW735 after seeing mine on the job - He also had a feed roller slipping issue - After we took a look at his planer feed rollers we saw that he had some wood shavings stuck to his rollers causing the slipping and uneven feed issues - I build custom doors and sash and my material is always at the correct moister content for proper machining - Most people do not order their lumber from hardwood specialty suppliers or purchase and dry slab material - My friend was buying his material from local suppliers - He was also running poplar through it and neither material was at the proper moisture content - His material was a little on the wet side causing chips and dust to adhere to his roller - After cleaning his rollers with an abrasive belt gum cleaning block it worked and fed just fine

Greg Just
12-28-2007, 12:48 PM
I have had the Dewalt DW734 for about 4 years and have no complaints. The dust collector attachment works pretty good too.

glenn bradley
12-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Here's my opinion which will conflict with your desire to have knives sharpened. DW734 or 735. End of discussion, in my opinion, when it comes to lunch box planers. I should say that there have been many happy Ridgid owners but I cannot comment due to lack of experience. No offense to anyone but I haven't used a Makita or Delta lunch box that I cared for near as much as the DeWalts (no association, just happy).

Al Killian
12-28-2007, 1:27 PM
Grizzly0505. I have had it for two years and it can handle a 10" wide red oak board. The blades that come with it are double sided and can be resharpend several times befor replacements are neede, unless he hit a knot or something and chip a blade. They $260 to your door and the cutumer service is outstanding if you ever have a problem with it.

Cary Falk
12-28-2007, 5:56 PM
Greetings to all,

I'd like something with blades that can be sharpened rather than just replaced.

Thanks in advance,

- Rob

I have teh Delta 22-580 and love it. I only use the fast speed because it leaves an excellent finish. After taking <15 minutes to change my blades, I don't know why you would want ones that can be sharpened. My jointer blades can be sharpened and it took me way too long to get them changed and they are still not perfect.:mad:

Jack Ganssle
12-28-2007, 6:08 PM
The thought of resharpenable knives is appealing... but is it sensible?

Many lunchboxes with disposable knives have dual edges on those knives. For a 13" dual-blade machine that's 52" of knives total. What's the cost to resharpen that much material? (Generally resharpening services charge by the inch.)

I don't know about other machines, but the Rigid's knives are $30 a set, dual edged. I think it might be hard to find a sharpening service that, including shipping (two directions), will beat that by much.

Jack

keith micinski
12-28-2007, 6:59 PM
I just checked my local home depot store and they still had the tp1300 ls for sale with stand. It has the same specs as all of the other benchtop's with a stand and repeatable stops that seem to be really accurate. I have been wanting to get one for a while because it seemed to be the best value to me of any of them and now I am worried they aren't going to carry it any more.

Tom Micheline
12-28-2007, 7:13 PM
I read a review of the new Ridgid model somewhere that said the new one was a big improvement, especially if you don't care about the stand. It went from a 2 blade configuration to 3 blades and the from 2 post construction to 4 post. The result, according to that reviewer, was better accuracy and finish. I very strongly considered going that way. As a matter of fact, I had pretty much made up my mind to do so. But I kept hearing such good things about the Delta planer, I looked a little closer at the price difference. The Ridgid is like $369 plus tax = ~$390 here in FL. Currently you can get the Delta at amazon for $399 with no tax and, since I'm an amazon prime member, free 2 day shipping.

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered mine today. It already shipped and should be here wed. I'm VERY excited. :)

John Newell
12-28-2007, 8:31 PM
I just checked my local home depot store and they still had the tp1300 ls for sale with stand. It has the same specs as all of the other benchtop's with a stand and repeatable stops that seem to be really accurate. I have been wanting to get one for a while because it seemed to be the best value to me of any of them and now I am worried they aren't going to carry it any more.

I would be out the door with that thing so fast there'd be skid marks on the concrete floor. It's as good as any of the others mentioned, and with the stand it's a wonderful value.

My recollection of all of the reviews I read (and I read a lot) was that the old Rigid did as good a job with a two-knife head as the new one...the old 1300 was an excellent machine.

Joe Spear
12-28-2007, 9:56 PM
I had the Delta 2-speed and liked it. After a few years I decided I needed something smaller and quieter, so I got the Makita. I liked it. Then I found I really needed that extra inch of width, so I started looking for a replacement. I sold the Makita for $275. That Craftsman with the digital read-out and three blades reviewed well. Sears had a two-day sale, $54 off, so I ordered it. I have used it a few times and am really happy with it, even though it weighs 98 pounds. (I don't carry it around anyway.) The chip blower means I can use a trash can or bag to catch the waste without having to hook iut up to my dust collector.

Erik Oerter
12-28-2007, 10:58 PM
I'll throw my chips in for the Ridgid TP1300. Works great, relatively common from the Despot or Craigslist. Makes boards thinner with no hassle.

keith micinski
12-28-2007, 11:55 PM
Well, now the last post is making me think I might want the new model since it is the same price and has all those new features. The legs aren't that big of a deal to me and alot of times home depot will have 10 percent off days for no apparent reason. Of course maybe once they get the new model here they will lower the old model price a little in which case that will be tough decision.

John-Paul Murphy
12-29-2007, 12:57 AM
I have the DW733
Overall I am happy with its performance as a bench top planer though it is very heavy. I use it both at the home shop and at job sites.
Negatives
With a heavy cut the blades will cut slight dips along the with of the board requiring a light pass to lean up.
If the board is cupped and you take a heavy cut the feed rollers will tend to mash the board flat so you still end up with a cupped board that is thinner…
The first and last ¼ inch of the board will have a slight dip cut out.
The thickness setting is not repeatable. If I need to plane a board to add to a project later calipers must be used to get the thickness correct.
Plusses
Have yet to bog it down even with heavy cuts on wide or several boards being fed through at the same time.
easy to adjust.
I like to see the pile of chips and shavings pile up on the floor and very little dust is created.
If I do not get in a rush and try to take to much at once the boards come out very smooth and the surfaces are parallel.

Wish it had
Variable speed
Better thickness gauge.

I do not have experience with many bench tops so I do not know if these are common positives and negatives for other brands.

Paul Fitzgerald
12-29-2007, 1:23 AM
I just purchased the Ridgid R4330 last month and have been very happy with it.

People have complained about it not coming with a stand or an extra set of knives like its predecessor, but I feel the added benefits of the R4330 over the TP1300 outweigh the exclusion of the stand and knives. People have also complained about the lack of a head lock, but I have yet to have any issues with it.

Then again... it's my first planer, so take that into account. :D

Paul

Rob Luter
12-29-2007, 7:09 AM
Thanks again for all the comments. I'm going to look at the DW735 and the new Ridgid today. My local Borg has both.

With regard to the blades, let me clarify................

The convenience of double edged replaceable blades is not lost on me. I'd just like to be able to sharpen them if I choose to. I have access to a complete tool room with all manner of surface grinders, etc. If I dull or nick a blade planing up some tough old oak I'd like to be able to touch it up rather than driving to the Borg, finding they don't stock blades, ordering them on line, waiting a few days, etc, etc. Perhaps I'll just buy an extra set right away. The fact that the cost of replacement blades equals 10% of the total planer cost :eek: (DW) just chaps my ass. Back to the Razor/Razor Blades thing.

Don Bullock
12-29-2007, 10:44 AM
...Perhaps I'll just buy an extra set right away. The fact that the cost of replacement blades equals 10% of the total planer cost :eek: (DW) just chaps my ass. Back to the Razor/Razor Blades thing.

I have a set on the shelf under my DW 735 planer just in case. Yes, I agree that they weren't cheap, but since they are the part of the tool that does the actual work it's important for them to be good quality.;):D

Rick Gifford
01-11-2008, 10:23 PM
This was posted by a reviewer on Amazon for the Dwealt 735 blades.

Infinity tools sells replacement blades for the 735 that are re-sharpenable.

I have no opinion of these blades, just throwing it out there in case anyone is interested. At least there is another option if you want to resharpen:

w w w.infitytools .com then lookup item# HSSK-041

Rob Luter
03-10-2008, 6:40 AM
I pulled the trigger on the Ridgid 4330 13" planer this weekend. The guy at the Borg threw in the stand that you used to get with the TP1300 for free. I'm pretty pleased with the performance so far. I planed up a bunch of Southern Yellow Pine for my new workbench as well as some Maple, Walnut, some Mulberry crotches, and some 1/4 sawn Cedar. I got a real nice finish on everything. The tables need to be tweaked a bit to get rid of the minimal snipe, but other than that it was plug and play.