PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on older Grizzly G1023 (first saw)

Dan Lawson
12-27-2007, 2:34 PM
Hi. New poster here and looking to get into woodworking. I've done a lot of lurking about various forums, and came upon this excellent site.

Quick question. As a first saw, I have a chance to get a '99 version of the G1023 (3hp, right tilt) but with the older fence system and 2 sets of extension rails (long and standard) for $450. He's a hobbyest so not a production saw. Given the age, but more importantly, the fence quality, am I better off waiting for a deal on a potential closeout on an '07 saw or a used left tilt with a better fence or grab the Grizzly?

Thanks,

Dan

Matt Meiser
12-27-2007, 3:26 PM
In 2000 I bought a Delta contractor saw for about the same price as a 1023 which I was also considering. I wish I'd gotten the 1023. That is a great price for a cabinet saw and even if you replace the fence, you're still getting a great deal.

Brian Kent
12-27-2007, 3:45 PM
I am extremely happy with my Grizzly 1023sl. They are currently on sale for $895. Shop Fox Classic rails (that they come with now) are $225. I don't know if the 8 year old saw is the same quality, but I don't think you could lose either way.

More important - welcome to the Creek. These folks are amazing, in their knowledge and their friendly encouragement.

Brian

Wade Lippman
12-27-2007, 3:48 PM
Unless you are convinced the fence is okay, I would let it go. A bad fence is a nightmare.
But if the fence is good, it is a good price.

Bruce Page
12-27-2007, 3:59 PM
Grizzly has made great strides in quality control over the last few years and can compete with just about anyone in today’s world market. Having said that, I would thoroughly inspect any Grizzly machine from that vintage. A friend has a Grizzly 6” jointer of the same age and it is a total piece of junk, there’s not a straight / square piece of cast iron on it. I’m not trying to badmouth Grizzly at all, just offering a word of caution.

Curt Harms
12-28-2007, 7:08 AM
Hi Dan

Bruce has it right, the quality of Grizzly's earlier stuff is "uneven". Having said that, I have a later '90's G1023. It came with the Jet Fence knockoff which was a total piece of crap. I'd had a Mule fence on a Craftsman contractor saw which I moved to the G1023 and I'm using that now. The saw itself seems fine, factory settings were good, the top is level, the arbor is true and I haven't had problems with it. The older generation fences were pretty sorry though. Is there any wiggle room on the price? If You could get the saw for $400, You could get a newer generation Grizzly fence or perhaps a Biese or Mule for a little over $200 and have a good cabinet saw for around $600.

HTH

Curt

James Suzda
12-28-2007, 8:15 AM
About a month ago I paid $400 for a used Grizzly 1023 right tilt that included the slider attachment and the ShopFox fence. So, I think that maybe the $450 is a little steep for an older saw.

Kent E. Matthew
12-28-2007, 11:59 AM
The saw was made in 1999? If I understand this post correctly I'd jump on that deal with both feet. That saw is just getting started. If you don't buy it tell me where I can. I have been looking for a deal like that for months now.

keith ouellette
12-28-2007, 12:07 PM
I would check if the tables were flat and the rails were straight and offer a little less to make up for the fence you will probably need.

Dan Lawson
12-29-2007, 7:55 AM
The saw is located near Madison, WI and was advertised in a local paper. As a first timer, I think I'll hold off on the purchase and wait for more of a sure thing. As I posted elsewhere, the "sure thing" was a 70's era unisaw with a bies fence for $650 in Chicago, but I'm on vacation and couldn't get to it in time.......

Dan

Richard Dragin
12-29-2007, 10:20 AM
It seems with Delta, older is better. With Grizz the opposite is true.