PDA

View Full Version : Another One Bites The Dust!

Christopher K. Hartley
12-27-2007, 1:54 PM
This Holiday season we had the privilege to have my Aunt and Uncle from Ohio (they live close to John Hart). Anyway I had promised him he could try his hand at this turning stuff. He climbed aboard Beauty with very little direction and well the pics are the proof. We started with a hunk of old cracked White Oak and this is what he was able to create. Uncle Ken had never turned before but he is a pretty fair woodworker. Any bets as to what he does when he gets home?:confused: My pics do not do this one justice. it looks like glass. Again it is White Oak and measures 8 1/2" X 2 1/2"; sanded to 600 grit, it has two coats of Tung Oil and buffed.:)

Tim A. Mitchell
12-27-2007, 1:58 PM
WOW. Amazing for a first turning. He must have a good feeling for wood.

Bernie Weishapl
12-27-2007, 2:13 PM
That is beautiful for a first bowl. Well done.

Nancy Laird
12-27-2007, 2:14 PM
Chris, Congrats to your uncle on falling into the vortex--that's a gorgeous bowl and the wood is pretty nice too. He did a good job!!

So he's going to order a Robust too? :D:D

Nancy

Tony De Masi
12-27-2007, 2:17 PM
Outstanding piece. Being a pretty fair woodworker or not, he must have had some superb mentoring. Well done to both of you.

Tony

Steve Schlumpf
12-27-2007, 2:27 PM
Let your Uncle know he did a really good job on the bowl - first or fiftieth - that is a really nice bowl! I do feel a little bad for him (NOT) - starting out on a Robust! Where does he go from here???

Pete Jordan
12-27-2007, 3:26 PM
You might as well send home Beauty with him and buy a better one. Wait, you are at the top of the line!

robert hainstock
12-27-2007, 4:10 PM
The vortex seems bottomless. Nice work Unc. :D

Jim Becker
12-27-2007, 6:07 PM
So you invite the guy over so he can try out turning...and you give him a knarly old hunk of oak to play with! LOL And he did a dynamite job on it, too!!! (I hear the vortex swirling...)

Tom Sherman
12-27-2007, 7:52 PM
Your Uncle did a nice job on that old white oak. Can't imagine how he'll manage on the trip home with no lathe to play with. By the way he wears those turning shavings well. Way to go Chris.

Ben Gastfriend
12-27-2007, 8:38 PM
Wow! Nice one! If he doesn't go home and buy a lathe, buy him a set of HF turning tools, and he'll have no choice but to place an order!

David Fried
12-27-2007, 11:05 PM
Now I'm glad I took a knitting class tonight!

That's some start! Really nice.

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-28-2007, 1:14 AM
He can definitely be proud of that!

Bruce

Steve Campbell
12-28-2007, 5:01 PM
Chris that sure is a great looking bowl. Looks like we hooked another one.
I just finish turned a White Oak bowl I had drying for a few months. That was the hardest chunk of wood I have tried yet. There was more sawdust coming off it than curly shavings. I did finally get it done and it turned out OK. I have at least one more dry and ready to finish turn but not to sure I'm in any hurry to do it.

Steve

Glenn Hodges
12-29-2007, 4:02 PM
Now that is a great start.