PDA

View Full Version : New Project Question(s)

Warren White
12-27-2007, 11:53 AM
I am building a cherry stand for my son's large flat screen TV. Since this is being built without plans, I have a question. First a description:

The 'box' will be about 32" high, 18" deep, and 48" long. It will have an upper adjustable shelf, and a fixed shelf that is above two side by side drawers. My thoughts are to have a 3" apron on the top of the front and back, and a 3" cleat (for lack of a better word) on the bottom of the front and back.

The top is 48" X 18". The legs are 2 1/8" X 1 1/2" and will be about 30" high, with the wider dimension facing to the front. My question involves attaching the sides to the legs.

The sides will be made of cherry stock (1" X 6"). My first thought was to run them perpendicular to the legs, but in rethinking, they perhaps should be parallel to the legs to minimize wood movement. After I glue the side pieces together do I then put them as one piece to the legs? If so, do I make a single long mortise in the leg and mill a single tenon in each side of the side assembly? Do I worry about wood movement, or glue them across the entire tenon?

In reality, this isn't going to be a piece for the ages; he is a normal 25 year old......nothing is 'forever.'

Your thoughts are most appreciated.

Warren

Jim Becker
12-27-2007, 12:42 PM
"Normally" grain direction would be vertical for the end panels and that also provides some extra strength for holding the load that is up higher on the project. But design is a very subjective thing... ;)

Lee Schierer
12-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Normall side panels have the grain running in a vertical direction. Wood movement gets to be a problem is the piece is much more than 5-6" wide. If you make the sides a frame and panel design then the panel can be floating.

Warren White
12-27-2007, 1:01 PM
Normal side panels have the grain running in a vertical direction. Wood movement gets to be a problem is the piece is much more than 5-6" wide. If you make the sides a frame and panel design then the panel can be floating.

Both you and Jim agree that vertical is the way to go. I am glad that I asked, because it does make sense and that was the direction I was tending to pick, although not because I thought of the strength issue. That raises a couple of questions (if you don't mind).

(Option 1) I can make a frame and panel piece that I can then attach to the legs. I would probably use pocket screws to attach the frame and panel to the legs. I also have a bead-lock set I could use. Your thoughts?

(Option 2) I can put a horizontal piece top and bottom, milled out of 1" rough, so it will end up 3/4". Then I can butt the side panels up between them. The side panels could be mortised into the legs, but not glued. Your thoughts (again)?

Thank you very much. My son is anxious to get this going, and I tend to study things out way too much. That, coupled with the difference between his hours and mine (he is a computer scientist whose days and nights are off by several hours from mine....he likes to stay up all night and sleep in late.)

Warren

Lee Schierer
12-27-2007, 1:28 PM
Here's how I did a Deacons bench. The frame pieces are morticed into the legs.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~us71na/deacon2.jpg
The panel had the grain horizontal because the grain in the front panel ran sideways.

I'm not sure this answers either of your questions. Pocket crews hold quite well. I don't have experience with bead lock.

Here's another end panel that was also for an entertainment center.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~us71na/heidiec1.jpg
These panels are just plywood set into grooves. The joints at the corner were M&T, but you could also use a lap joint.