View Full Version : Veneer Tape

Paul Canaris
12-27-2007, 10:29 AM
I am using perforated wet to stick veneer tape for the first time. Can this be applied to both sides of the veneer without showing through in the final finish? The veneer is fairly thick 1/42” or a bit more.:confused:

Jesse Cloud
12-27-2007, 10:48 AM
I usually join the pieces with blue masking tape on the show side and then veneer tape on the glue side.

I wouldn't count on being able to get the veneer tape off the show side gracefully.;)

Steve Wargo
12-27-2007, 11:27 AM
You can use it on both sides of the veneer... but why would you? I'm not sure of an application that it would be called for. The "holey" veneer tape will come off easily. You can wet it to remove most of it. Then scrape, plane, or sand the rest.

Mike Henderson
12-27-2007, 2:57 PM
You do not want to use veneer tape on the glue face- only on the show face. There are a couple of exceptions for extremely unusual situations - one being veneering certain molding - but otherwise never put veneer tape on the glue face.

First, there's no reason to do so. You can do everything you need to do with tape on the show face.

Second, if you put veneer tape on the glue face (and it's usually on a seam), the veneer is not glued down with your veneer glue but with the veneer tape glue. And veneer tape is made to be removed with a small amount of water so the glue isn't that good - it's more like that mucilage glue you used as a kid.

The holes can save you but that's a poor bet. You're risking having that seam come open when the surface gets a bit wet.

The rule of veneer work is: Cut only on the glue face, veneer tape only on the show face.

You do use blue tape to hold things together before you put the veneer tape on and that blue tape goes on the glue face. But you remove ALL blue tape before you do the glue up.

After your glue up, you spritz the veneer tape with water, let it sit a few minutes, and peel it right off - it's made to come off that way and it's easy to to.

Mike

Carroll Courtney
12-27-2007, 5:06 PM
Paul,go to Mike Henderson's homepage and check out his veneer work.Its fantastic!!!