PDA

View Full Version : to pack, or not to pack the espresso??

Walt Caza
12-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Happy Holidays Fellow Creekers,
I bought the wife a KRUP espresso maker for Christmas. In the tips section
on page 9, it clearly states 'for better results, pack down (tamp) the coffee grounds
with the back of the included measuring spoon'.
This plastic measure comes complete with a flat bottom, and just nicely fits the diameter of the
grounds holder. In the regular intructions on the very next page, it says in
bold letters ...'Important - Do Not pack down the coffee grounds'.

...and so I appeal to all you home espresso drinkers,
To pack, or not to pack ... that is the question?!?

Maybe I otta go back to my glimpse-and-go method of dealing with instruction manuals?
Any thoughts appreciated,
Walt

ps I had hoped to greet her first back-to-work morning with some
fresh espresso wafting through the house...shucks
:)

Glenn Clabo
12-27-2007, 10:06 AM
The definitive answer from the Clabo house...lovers of expresso...she doesn't...I do. And we both insist that we make the best. :D

Matt Meiser
12-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Your measure sounds like the one that came with my Breville machine. I pack it firmly after grinding the beans about as fine as my Krup burr grinder will make them.

With my old machine I could pack them too much to where it wouldn't pump hard enough to get the water through. Its was a learning thing to get the right touch. If you don't pack them you may not get any crema (the foam on top of the coffee.)

Joe Pelonio
12-27-2007, 12:26 PM
The steam is very strong and can make it through the packed grounds. If you don't pack it you will have less coffee therefore weaker espresso.

Jim Becker
12-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Consistent tamping is essential to good espresso and any drink made with espresso, such as the latté I have every morning when you are using a normal espresso machine. That said, you should follow the instructions for your particular machine for best results with it.

Walt Caza
12-27-2007, 8:36 PM
Thanks for your responses...
I guess a little trial and error will reveal the best way.
Sounds like tamping is ahead in the polls...

Jim...you say to follow the instructions...But they contradict
themselves...which is why I posted the question in the first place!?!
take care,
Walt
;)

Jim Becker
12-27-2007, 8:40 PM
Walt, tamping insures that the water is forced through the grounds "equally" so you get more consistent results. Using the same tamping pressure as well as as close to the same amount of coffee per pull is what you ultimately want to achieve. Awhile ago I found I was using too much coffee in my portafilter (the thing you put the espresso grounds into) and that, too, compromised the quality and consistency of the lattés I was making.

scott kinninger
12-27-2007, 9:01 PM
When I worked in a coffee shop during college we always "tamped". We also had a timer to time each and every espresso shot, IIRC 26 seconds start to finish was perfect, and the owners allowed 2 seconds either way. If the shot was less than 24 seconds or more than 28 we were supposed to throw them out. Getting the feel for "just the right" amount of tamp was the trick.

Anthony Scira
01-03-2008, 12:51 AM
Yeah the timing is critical. But you have to do so much to get a good espresso.

1 - FRESH beans. I have become so into it I roast my own and if I dont use them in a week or two at the most I throw them out.

2 - Proper grind. Throw out the blade grinder or use it for spices. You need a burr grinder to get a even grind which leads to better extraction. Not to mention once set it makes tamping easier.

3 - Preheat EVERYTHING. And I mean let the machine warm up for 15 minutes. Pour some boiling water into your cups.

4 - Tamping is important and will be trial and error. Shoot for the window of the 26 seconds or so.

And lets go back to number one. I am serious about old beans, throw them out. You will smell them starting too turn.

If you do everything right you will be rewarded with a nice thick head of crema between 1/4" to 1/2" tall.

Good luck !

Jim Becker
01-03-2008, 9:03 AM
Anthony, my machine specifies a minimum of 30-40 minutes for warm-up (Andreja Premium mfg by QuickMill from Chris' Coffee Service). It has a much heavier boiler than typical consumer machines; hence, the longer suggested warm-up time. So I have it on a timer that comes on at oh-dark-thirty, rather than running it 24/7. And I can say for sure that the results are much better if you wait!

On the fresh coffee point, absolutely. I don't roast, but do keep my beans in a sealed container. I only grind what I'm going to use for that particular drink or drinks.

Mitchell Andrus
01-03-2008, 9:07 AM
You read the instructions??????

Anthony Scira
01-03-2008, 8:00 PM
Like any of you need another hobby. But roasting coffee is cheap and easy to do. And once you start there is no going back.

The place I buy my beans has great tutorials on roasting your own. I am pretty new here and I am not sure if I can post a link to their website. If your intrested PM me. Or if Jim says its ok tp post the link I will do so.

And if you have to buy pre roasted. Buy only what you can use in a week.

Jim Becker
01-03-2008, 9:36 PM
You read the instructions??????

Umm....it is kinda out of character, but sometimes necessary...

Like any of you need another hobby. But roasting coffee is cheap and easy to do. And once you start there is no going back.

The place I buy my beans has great tutorials on roasting your own. I am pretty new here and I am not sure if I can post a link to their website. If your intrested PM me. Or if Jim says its ok tp post the link I will do so.

And if you have to buy pre roasted. Buy only what you can use in a week.

As long as it's not a forum, you can post the link, Anthony.

BTW, we did roast for awhile, but for us it was more trouble than it was worth. The roaster we had was also way too inconsistent...oh, well. I'm happy with the Pete's beans I buy...better than anything I've found locally.

Doug Jones from Oregon
01-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Interesting, two weeks ago, I had never even considered being able to roast my own coffee beans at home and now it is discussed here on my the woodworking forum.

I'm currently reviewing the financials for a business I'm considering that specializes in green beans, roasting equip, grinders and brewers.

Doug

Anthony Scira
01-03-2008, 11:56 PM
Well if your just starting out a visit to this place is a must
www.sweetmarias.com (http://www.sweetmarias.com)

They have they BEST service out there. And the selection is second to none.

As far as roasting goes I would suggest nothing electronic. Check out the section on Home Roasting basics. Starting out I would go with the electric popcorn popper method.

Once you get the hang of it the results are GREAT.

Anthony Anderson
01-04-2008, 1:31 AM
Grind on the finest setting and tamp firmly. You will be happy. Simple enough?:D Good Luck.

Anthony Scira
01-04-2008, 8:12 AM
If its a high quality machine its good advice.

Most krupps home models if the grind is too fine it just clogs the filter head. It really takes some fine tuning.