PDA

View Full Version : Router plunge base problem DW618PK

Matty Tobin
12-27-2007, 7:39 AM
Good Morning Gentlemen! This is my first post to the forum. Here is my problem that I'm hoping some of you will be able to help me with: My wife bought for me a DeWalt 618 PK two base router system. The fixed base operates fine, however when I move the motor to the plunge base it will not "freely" slide into the base. I mean I really have to push on it...and it still won't go. I've loosened the nut around the clamping mechanism, hoping that it would allow for some more movement. It did not. Are there any of you out there who'd be willing to help out? Yes, this is my first router, so I do not have a lot of experience.

Thanks in advance for any help!:)

Tim Malyszko
12-27-2007, 9:20 AM
Good Morning Gentlemen! This is my first post to the forum. Here is my problem that I'm hoping some of you will be able to help me with: My wife bought for me a DeWalt 618 PK two base router system. The fixed base operates fine, however when I move the motor to the plunge base it will not "freely" slide into the base. I mean I really have to push on it...and it still won't go. I've loosened the nut around the clamping mechanism, hoping that it would allow for some more movement. It did not. Are there any of you out there who'd be willing to help out? Yes, this is my first router, so I do not have a lot of experience.

Thanks in advance for any help!:)

I have the same router with the same issue. First, make sure you remove the plastic depth adjustment ring on the router motor before inserting it into the plunge router. This should be obvious, but I made that mistake the first time. Second, it will still probably be tight so I coated the inside of the plunge router base with SC Johnson Paste Wax - it's the same stuff i use to protect all my tool's cast iron surfaces. After doing that, the router slides in and out of the base much easier. It's still a little tight, but manageable.

Enjoy the new router.

Norman Pyles
12-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Just keep hittin it it'll fit.:D Just kidding. I have two of those routers, and it is a very tight fit on the plunge bases. The motor will only go in one way also. Be sure and read all the directions, don't get in a hurry, and I'm sure you will get it. That is a great router.:)

Michael O'Sullivan
12-28-2007, 9:23 AM
I have had a similar experience with the plunge base -- I think there is not enough clearance between the ribbed DC chute and the motor, so when you insert the motor, it catches. I eventually got it on, but it took some effort.

Also, because of the extra resistance, it may not be obvious when it is actually seated properly.

Brian Dormer
12-28-2007, 1:06 PM
You'll also find that the turret stop is VERY sloppy (unless they fixed the design in the last year or two). The solution is to remove the stop, then CAREFULLY file down the base where the screw goes in to hold the stop. 10-12 strokes with a mill file ought to do it. Optionally, you can add a small washer AND/OR use some 600 grit paper to flatten the bottom of the turret (mine had a good deal of casting flash on it). Reassemble and you're all set. The stop will then be a little snug to turn, but it won't wiggle around on you either.

Matty Tobin
12-28-2007, 5:11 PM
Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it. I actually took the router back and got a new one.....this after I took it to our local DeWalt service center and that's what thet told me to do!

Norman Pyles
12-28-2007, 5:52 PM
Glad to hear, you got it took care of.