PDA

View Full Version : words from Irag

Bill Chapman
02-23-2004, 8:50 PM
I was talking to a parent of a soldier that returned recently from Iraq. He was telling me that his son stated that paper is very short to the point that they would tear the labels off items to write home.

So here is a suggestion.

I would like to see everybody include say 5 pages of paper maybe 5 X 7 in with each pen to give them something to write on with their new pens.

What does everyone think good or bad idea?

:confused:

John Miliunas
02-23-2004, 8:58 PM
I was talking to a parent of a soldier that returned recently from Iraq. He was telling me that his son stated that paper is very short to the point that they would tear the labels off items to write home.

So here is a suggestion.

I would like to see everybody include say 5 pages of paper maybe 5 X 7 in with each pen to give them something to write on with their new pens.

Well, the pens are pretty useless if one doesn't have something to write on! Hmmmm...I wonder how many 5x7's one could get into one of those pen tubes? I'd certainly be willing to ship out a "matching" tube with as much as could be rolled up in one along with each pen. It would also help the paper from getting soggy! Maybe Keith could check on what the logistics of something like that would be at the Armed Services end here Stateside. Maybe some kind of seperate shipment could be arranged for? All in all, the guys and gals over there should indeed have something to write on with all those beautiful pens! :cool:

Jerry Stringer
02-23-2004, 9:09 PM

GREAT idea!

The pen tubes will give you plenty of room to put a few sheets of paper in them . . . unless you go with humongous cigar pens.

I'm making sure that every tube has a letter of thanks and support in it as well. Contact a Sunday School class or a public school class and ask them for help . . . you will get all of the support letters you need!

The synergetic capability of collective genius minds is unstoppable!

Wow! That was good!

Have a great day!

Jerry

John Miliunas
02-23-2004, 10:01 PM
The synergetic capability of collective genius minds is unstoppable!

Wow! That was good!

The what? The who? Where? Honest, I didn't do it ocifer! :D Jerry, you go to the head of the class! Some of us homeboys here kaint understand wad yer sayin' there, my man! :D Seriously, where did you pull that from? That was terrific! :cool:

Michael Cody
02-24-2004, 9:46 AM
Well, the pens are pretty useless if one doesn't have something to write on! Hmmmm...I wonder how many 5x7's one could get into one of those pen tubes? I'd certainly be willing to ship out a "matching" tube with as much as could be rolled up in one along with each pen. It would also help the paper from getting soggy! Maybe Keith could check on what the logistics of something like that would be at the Armed Services end here Stateside. Maybe some kind of seperate shipment could be arranged for? All in all, the guys and gals over there should indeed have something to write on with all those beautiful pens! :cool:

The problem is that the tubes are clear so they can see what's in them for security purposes. Not sure if you want to cover it up with paper... just thinking it out loud.

Ken Salisbury
02-24-2004, 10:00 AM
So here is a suggestion.

My personal opinion (nothing to do with my official capacity on the project) is not to make this anymore complicated than it already is.

Michael makes a valid good point on the idea:

The problem is that the tubes are clear so they can see what's in them for security purposes. Not sure if you want to cover it up with paper... just thinking it out loud.

There are many things the troops in the field need and would like to have. The idea is to get them pens at the moment. Multiple item care packages are another matter.

This is not meant to discourage constructive ideas to improve the project. Keep the ideas for improvements coming. We can consider them as we get further down this bumpy road. :D

We need to make the initial effort a sucessfull venture before we try enhancements. IMHO.

Jerry Stringer
02-24-2004, 11:24 AM
The what? The who? Where? Honest, I didn't do it ocifer! :D Jerry, you go to the head of the class! Some of us homeboys here kaint understand wad yer sayin' there, my man! :D Seriously, where did you pull that from? That was terrific! :cool:

I think it was all those rock and roll concerts back in the 60's!!!

(Actually I was a Merle Haggard and Johnny Cash fan back then)

Synergy is a cool idea.

Mathmatically it is described as 1+1>2

Socially it it means that two people working together on a project can do more than two people working separately on the project.

Graphically :

Forget graphically . . . the little drawings don't post correctly.

OK, time to go back to work!

Thanks!

Jerry

Arvin Brown
02-24-2004, 12:50 PM
I don't know who or how to do this but I would be willing to donate one case of 8-1/2" x 11" paper (5000 sheets). Any ideas??

Bill Chapman
02-24-2004, 7:10 PM
Ken after thinking about it (due to yours and others committes) I agree at this time but it is a good idea for later. Thanks to everyone for the thoughts sometimes when I get into these things I over think things. I try to apply the kiss method to things I do because I get carried away. ( Kept it simple stupid) This is such a worthy cause and a great idea as is I agree.

John Miliunas
02-24-2004, 7:29 PM
Ken after thinking about it (due to yours and others committes) I agree at this time but it is a good idea for later. Thanks to everyone for the thoughts sometimes when I get into these things I over think things. I try to apply the kiss method to things I do because I get carried away. ( Kept it simple stupid) This is such a worthy cause and a great idea as is I agree.

Don't totally give up on the idea, Bill. Maybe some other group/organization may catch wind of the need(s) and organize their own movement towards that end. I agree that Ken, Keith, Jerry, Daniel and all the others with major involvement here at SMC already have their hands full. Give it some time...If this project continues to gain steam, someone, somewhere out there may come up with a solution for the "paper shortage", as well! :cool: