PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D-40

Dar Lounsbury
12-27-2007, 3:18 AM
Members that use Nikon D-40 cameras, what are your likes and dislikes about this specific model. I like what I see and have found what I think is a good price, but .........what hidden horrors are to be found?

It is this or one of several medium woodworking machines, would like to get it right.

Thanks, Dar

Happy Holidays to all and a safe new year.

Jim Becker
12-27-2007, 9:19 AM
Dar, be careful where you buy...there are a lot online vendors that advertise dynamite prices, but then hassle you for expensive add-on kits and excessive shipping and handling charges. The lowest advertised price isn't necessarily the best price, as it were... ;)

There are no "hidden horrors" with the camera. It's an excellent product and in a few ways more advanced than my older D70 in the electronics, etc. If you're looking at a kit that includes multiple lenses, be careful that the vendor isn't substituting cheaper quality lenses rather than providing the Nikon product. In any of these DSLRs from Nikon, Cannon or whomever, the lenses are the real key to quality.

John Leipold
12-27-2007, 9:51 AM
You need to make sure you getting a "USA" warrantee. "Grey market" cameras won't be covered by the USA repair centers. You have to send them over seas for repair / warrantee work.

Other than that, I didn't like the D-40 because it didn't take the standard digital nikkor lens. I have a bunch invested in D-50 lenses.

They are a great camera. Not point and shoot, but I'm sure that's why you are looking at this model.

Scott Shepherd
12-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Not sure where you are looking at, but two sources come to mind with excellent prices as well as excellent service. Both have about the same reputation. I've ordered a load of stuff from one of them, recommended them to many friends and I've not had anyone tell me they had poor experiences. I've been told the other one has the same sort of service. Most people pick one and stick with it because they are happy.

Check the prices against either (or both) and you'll really know if it's a good deal or not.

www.adorama.com (http://www.adorama.com) and www.bhphotovideo.com (http://www.bhphotovideo.com)

It's rare to find anything less expensive than one of those (at least in my limited experience).

J.D.Redwine
12-27-2007, 10:36 AM
Not sure where you are looking at, but two sources come to mind with excellent prices as well as excellent service. Both have about the same reputation. I've ordered a load of stuff from one of them, recommended them to many friends and I've not had anyone tell me they had poor experiences. I've been told the other one has the same sort of service. Most people pick one and stick with it because they are happy.

Check the prices against either (or both) and you'll really know if it's a good deal or not.

www.adorama.com (http://www.adorama.com) and www.bhphotovideo.com (http://www.bhphotovideo.com)

It's rare to find anything less expensive than one of those (at least in my limited experience).

Thanks for those links I found the Canon I've been wanting for a good price and free shipping.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Dar,

I bought my wife a D40x in June. She loves it. She is a person who wants minimal interface with the camera but she wants instantaneous shots. With the D40x in fully automatic.....she adjusts the size of the picture and presses the expose button. The automatic focus functions well and she gets gorgeous photos of our kids, grandkids and great-grandkids. Yet, you can set it for fully manual for those special shots you want to shoot periodically. And it can be used in every semi-automatic mode inbetween. Paid some money.....no regrets..

Darryl Hazen
12-27-2007, 10:58 AM
I have a D40x. It is a great camera. The major difference between the D40 and the D40x is the megapixel rating. The D40 is a 6megapixel, the D40x is a 10 megapixel. According to Nikon the 6MP can produce up to 8x10 prints. The 10MP can produce up to 11x14 prints. For most users the D40 will do the job. There are some internal differences between the 2 models. The highest flash synch on the D40 is 1/500. The flash synch on the D40x is 1/250. That's due to different shutter designs. Whichever one you choose, I think you'll be very satisfied.

The link below is to a Photo forum. You can view photos shot by other D40 & D40x photographers.

www dot dcresource dot com

Bruce Page
12-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Dar, I just got the D40x. I haven’t found any dislikes yet. It takes excellent pictures in full auto mode and I’m just starting to play with the manual settings.
Bought it through cameta.com with full Nikon warranty.
http://secure.cameta.com/index.cfm

Michael Ballent
12-27-2007, 5:55 PM
You need to make sure you getting a "USA" warrantee. "Grey market" cameras won't be covered by the USA repair centers. You have to send them over seas for repair / warrantee work.

Other than that, I didn't like the D-40 because it didn't take the standard digital nikkor lens. I have a bunch invested in D-50 lenses.

They are a great camera. Not point and shoot, but I'm sure that's why you are looking at this model.

It would be more accurate to say that the D40 does not have a auto focus motor built into the body so "screw drive" lenses will not work. If the lens has the focusing motor in the lens then you are good to go. The Nikon designation for lenses that have a focus motor in them is AF-S and you will see SWM. :)

Jim Becker
12-27-2007, 7:28 PM
The Nikon designation for lenses that have a focus motor in them is AF-S

Exactly what came with my D70, although it will also take the regular DX ED AF lenses, too.