PDA

View Full Version : Question for folks who use the Wolverine jig

jonathan snyder
12-27-2007, 1:13 AM
Hi folks,

I'm new to turning. I'm thinking of getting the wolverine jig. Is the skew grind attachment worth getting? I see from watching the videos, that you can sharpen a skew without the jig, but the jig does look helpful.

How about the Vari-grind attachment? Does a new turner need this, or is it something I might pick up later as my skills increase and I need to grind different profiles on gouges?

To start with, I'm interested in spindle work; chisel & other tool handles primarily. Plan to get the HF tools to start with.

Thanks
Jonathan

Gordon Seto
12-27-2007, 1:28 AM
With the exception of oval skew, skews are easy to grind with a good platform (such as the basic Wolverine). The skew attachment is not vital in my opinion.

You don't need the Varigrind to do the roughing gouge or traditional grind gouge. The Varigrind is only useful for fingernail grind. The fingernail grind is very versatile in bowl gouge and difficult to do without the Varigrind jig attachment. The side grind (fingernail grind) removes the two sharp ears of the gouge; therefore more friendly to use.

Gordon

Steve Schlumpf
12-27-2007, 7:57 AM
I agree with Gordon - skew attachment is not needed at this point. I do mostly faceplate work and find the varigrind gives me a fast, repeatable edge and is well worth the money!

Ben Gastfriend
12-27-2007, 8:36 AM
But if you ever get into faceplate/bowl turning and get a bowl gouge (which is reccomended for bowl turning), you are going to want the vari-grind attachment. It will make your life so much easier.

Bob Hamilton
12-27-2007, 9:53 AM
I don't use my skew grinding attachment because I don't like the grind it produces. I find I can do a much better job using just the platform adjusted to the proper angle. The vari grind, however, is in my opinion the whole purpose of having a wolverine jig. You can grind a roughing gouge or traditional grind bowl gouge using just the platform because you are just rotating the tool around its long axis without swinging the handle, but spindle gouges and side ground bowl gouges need to both swung and rotated which is not easy without the jig.

Take care
Bob

Allen Neighbors
12-27-2007, 10:55 AM
I agree with all the above. I don't use a grinder on my skews, though, because I don't like the hollowgrind. I use a reversed belt sander (120 grit) for my skews, then hone if I need to have it scary sharp.
I think the hollow grind makes it easier to hone, but it also makes it easier for me to get catches with the evil skew. :)

robert hainstock
12-27-2007, 11:15 AM
I've used the skew attachment that came with my jig (PSI) once, and since my skews are straight edged and the since the jig holds the handle end in place the jig imparts a radius curve to the business end of the tool. I do not use it. Some people like it that way however. (FYIO). :)
Bob

Dale Johnson
12-27-2007, 11:21 AM
if you have your heart set on this attachment, go lie down until the urge goes away. i have and have used it once. i got the lacer video and then got his signature skew. problems went away by 99%
dale

jonathan snyder
12-28-2007, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the advise folks. I think I'll skip the skew jig. I may however pick up the vari-grind jig, as it is on sale with free shipping from Hartville Tool (which equals a shipping discount for us in Alaska - we never get free shipping!).

Jonathan

TYLER WOOD
12-28-2007, 9:28 AM
I'm with you Johnathan. I'm ordering mine after I pick up a gift card for ordering it with.