PDA

View Full Version : paste wax

ryan kelley
12-26-2007, 9:27 PM
I applied some paste wax to an african mahogany bowl, thinking it was completely smooth. After I had buffed the wax there is now a residue that was left in the open grain. Question is how do I get rid of this residue. I have two problems; one this is a square turning and two, I now have no way of remounting it back on the lathe. I have attached a simple pic of the piece, can not see what I am talking about but maybe you see where I am coming from.

Bernie Weishapl
12-26-2007, 11:13 PM
Ryan I have used mineral spirits to get rid of wax. I did that on a piece of walnut and just washed the piece with mineral spirits. It took it all off. Then let it dry good for a day or two and then finish. I used wipe on poly. It did turn out pretty good. Hopefully you will get some more ideas.

Steve Schlumpf
12-27-2007, 7:59 AM
Ryan - very nice square edge bowl! I have used mineral spirits also but found that de-natured alcohol (DNA) works even faster. Like Bernie I let the piece dry for a day and then finished it with Poly. Best of luck!

TYLER WOOD
12-27-2007, 9:42 AM
Super looking bowl there!!! And ditto to what's been said.

Allen Neighbors
12-27-2007, 10:36 AM
Ryan, some good ideas about using mineral spirits. It shouldn't remove the finish... just the wax. (DNA will mar a finish that contains shellac. Mineral spirits will mar an oil finish if it isn't cured well. Lacquer thinner will mar a lacquer-based finish.)
I have also used a soft bristled toothbrush to brush with the grain, and it gets the wax out of the cracks where you can pick it up with a soft cloth. Slow, but it works.

robert hainstock
12-27-2007, 11:27 AM
The reason I try to not use the open grained wood is what you describe with your piece. (VERY NICE by the way). the pores will take lots of fill to clean up. Before the Poly application, I would apply paste wood filler, (creme colored) dyed with an oil based stain the color of the Mahogony. Apply it , then wipe the surface across the grain, and the after a suitable drying period, apply the Poly. Or you can apply and rub out many coats of poly till all the pores are filled. :(:(
Bob

bob edwards
12-27-2007, 12:36 PM
I find that a brush works well at not only getting the wax out of the grain but distributes the excess over the piece. Something like shining your shoes!!

Chris Tiedt
12-27-2007, 1:17 PM
What about using an iron and a brown paper bag? Kinda like getting candle wax out of a table cloth. I would think that a few quick hits with the iron would heat the wax so that it melts down and the bag would absorb it. I would just be careful not to hold the iron in the same spot too long to prevent the wood from getting burned......

Dean Thomas
12-27-2007, 6:58 PM
Solution for future days: Use a BROWN wax instead of a white or cream wax. That's why they make dark waxes. The brass bristle brush to help you clean the pores really sounds like a big time saver to me.