PDA

View Full Version : Source for handsaws?

Joel Goodman
12-26-2007, 9:08 PM
I would like to get a few decent older hand saws ( one crosscut, one rip). I'm looking for suggestions as to where to look (hopefully dealers where other creekers have had a good experience). I am no saw expert to say the least so any pointers of what to look for and avoid would be helpful. In terms of makers of course Disston is excellent but which models -- also what about other makers? These are user saws.

Thanks

Brian Kent
12-26-2007, 9:49 PM
I don't have any answers for you. I'll be watching to see what people say.

On e-bay I bought one Disston D8 for $6 and $8 shipping:).
The next several times I tried the bidding ended at $70 to $120:confused:.

Obviously there must have been a difference in the saws or the timing, but it isn't as automatic as some imply.

I have yet to find an affordable back-saw, so I hope there is another option besides e-bay.

Phillip Pattee
12-26-2007, 10:14 PM
Try Cooke's sharpening. http://cookessharpening.com/ He is located in York, PA. He also sells on eBay, usually as a Buy it now so you don't have to outbid a collector and you also don't have to waite. The saws will be just as he describes them and sharp!

Don C Peterson
12-27-2007, 1:11 AM
Try antique malls, I've found a couple of decent users there, or you can hit estate sales. Both these methods are very hit and miss, and while the estate sales are more miss than hit, that's where you find the really good deals. Estate sales are the source for probably 90% of the saws on ebay and in antique malls.

On ebay, just be patient, watch lots of saws, get an idea of what they go for and watch some more, eventually one will come around that seems to have slipped through the cracks. This is how I've acquired almost all of my saws.

I now have 4 back saws and I don't think I paid more than $16 for any of them. I even got a D-12 panel saw in great shape for $15 because it was painted (you know with some schlocky winter scene...) the seller had no clue what it was and nobody else looked past the paint I guess. A little paint thinner and I've got a beauty for a song. I found a D-15 Victory saw that had a pretty dark patina, but had no rust and looked like it had never even been used for $9. I've seen D-15 Victory saws in about the same shape sell in the $100 range. I picked up another D-12 for $5 because it had two teeth missing and the tip was dinged up. I filed off about 1/2" from the tip, jointed the saw, and filed the teeth. That thing is my favorite saw, thin kerf and springy it actually sings as it rips through wood like butter.

Just be patient, study the saw handle profiles at disstonianinstitute.com and you can pick out the promising ones when the seller hasn't done their homework, or you can pick out the diamond in a lot of saws that everyone else dismisses.

Tony Zaffuto
12-27-2007, 6:39 AM
Best source around is to google Tom Law's name and give him a call. He usually has quite a few saws around that he sells on "old tool" terms. You probably won't get any collector saws, but what you will get is a saw the will cut as well as any sold today--provided you tell Tom what materials you're working with. In case you haven't been around long enough to know who Tom is, well, he was the premier saw sharpener in the country for years, until he became overwhelmed with the volume of work and he retired.

Marcus Ward
12-27-2007, 7:12 AM
I found a D8 7tpi at a flea market for 3$. D8 8tpi crosscut at another one for 6$. If you start looking you'll find em. Hit the junk stores and flea markets and read up on the subject so you know what you're looking for. Be patient, it's like hunting. :)

James Mittlefehldt
12-27-2007, 7:50 AM
Like everyone said, they are out there go forth and seek thy tool. I have had good luck at farm auction sales, or even household auctions, if that is an option for you than try that.

Once bought a box that had three back saws and some miscelaneous junk in it for fifteen dollars. Two of the back saws were R. H. Smith made in here Ontario, one brass backed amd over a hundred years old, 14 inch crosscut. The other a bit newer say 1900 with a steel back and rip, so that filled my tenon saw need.

The last saw I bought was a Grove and Sons from Sheffield England, filed rip, 4 points per inch, hand carved handle, well over a hundred years old $15. from an antique store.

Learn a bit about what to look for and go hunting they are out there, and if you see one that seems rare and has a bend in it DON'T buy it, you will find another one I assure you.

Should add that I have so far found that saws are a steeper incline than planes, watch your step or down you go.