PDA

View Full Version : Is unused silicone caulk still good after freezing?

Brian Elfert
12-26-2007, 3:43 PM
I have an unopened tube of silicone caulk that has been throughly frozen for a day or two at least. Is it still okay to use? The tube just says it should be applied at above 40F.

Also, is white colored silicone caulk the right stuff for a bathroom or should I be using something else?

Bruce Page
12-26-2007, 4:32 PM
As cheap as the stuff is nowdays, I wouldn't risk it. If it does fail you'll have bigger problems to deal with.

glenn bradley
12-26-2007, 5:05 PM
I'm with Bruce for a few bucks, I wouldn't risk it. What does the label say? I'll bet keep from freezing or store between x and xx degrees is there somewhere.

Dave Anderson NH
12-27-2007, 12:05 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. Use it. Silicone has extreme low temperature resistance and we routinely refridgerate and/or freeze it to extend shelf life at my day job. Silicone caulks are dimethyl based silicones and remain flexible down to -40F. Phenol based silicones are good down to -140F.

The instructions telling you not to apply it under 40F are so that the curing agent will work. As long as you bring the caulking tube up to room temperature (probably 6-10 hours) before applying it, it should apply like a tube fresh from the store and it will cure correctly.

glenn bradley
12-27-2007, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. Use it. Silicone has extreme low temperature resistance and we routinely refridgerate and/or freeze it to extend shelf life at my day job. Silicone caulks are dimethyl based silicones and remain flexible down to -40F. Phenol based silicones are good down to -140F.

The instructions telling you not to apply it under 40F are so that the curing agent will work. As long as you bring the caulking tube up to room temperature (probably 6-10 hours) before applying it, it should apply like a tube fresh from the store and it will cure correctly.

Great info Dave, thanks!