PDA

View Full Version : Rockler & Hock blades...

John Dykes
12-26-2007, 3:26 PM
I dropped in at my local Rockler to browse a bit at lunch. I passed by the Hock blades and remembered that these blades \ cap irons seem to have a great reputation. Over the last week, I bought a few old Stanleys and thought I'd grab a blade and iron to assist me in my first old plane tune up project. (Yes, standby - I'm sure to need help...)

The 2" blade (for the "high carbon") was $36, and the chip breaker was $32 or so... At the counter, the fella said they were on sale - 50% off. It wasn't marked, nor can I find any blades on the Rockler website. $35 still seems like a lot for both pieces - (more than I bought the plane for), but I think it's a good deal.

YMMV however - might be worth a call if you're looking for a blade.

Regards,
jbd

Thom Sturgill
12-26-2007, 5:15 PM
On Hocktools.com the High Carbon Steel blade lists for $38 and chip-breaker for $28. ($66 total so 50% off would be $33 + tax) An A2 blade would be $48. I haven't bought any (yet :D) but my understanding is that they are well worth their price and half off was a steal!

I plan on buying a blade set for a Krenov style woodie, may buy his kit.

David Tiell
12-27-2007, 11:33 AM
I dropped in at my local Rockler to browse a bit at lunch. I passed by the Hock blades and remembered that these blades \ cap irons seem to have a great reputation. Over the last week, I bought a few old Stanleys and thought I'd grab a blade and iron to assist me in my first old plane tune up project. (Yes, standby - I'm sure to need help...)

The 2" blade (for the "high carbon") was $36, and the chip breaker was $32 or so... At the counter, the fella said they were on sale - 50% off. It wasn't marked, nor can I find any blades on the Rockler website. $35 still seems like a lot for both pieces - (more than I bought the plane for), but I think it's a good deal.

YMMV however - might be worth a call if you're looking for a blade.

Regards,
jbd
Where is your local Rockler? I'd love to call and see if they will sell over the phone at that price and ship.

Glenn Madsen
12-27-2007, 6:58 PM
and I even worked there a bit for a summer, several years back.

But their pricing and product marking has always been a mystery, a shot in the dark, and a wild guess, even to those who work there in management.

Ask for the price, and make your decision then, but never plan on an unadvertised price.:cool:

BTW, those Hock items are quite nice, and help to upgrade an older Stanley quite well.

Michael Schwartz
12-27-2007, 7:08 PM
I have a hock Iron and Chipbreaker in my 6 and it was well worth it. I would also like to add that I have the LN iron and chip breaker set in m 5 which is also great. The differences come down to your preference on either A1 or O2 tool steel.

I have the hock college of the redwoods iron and chip breaker set in my krenov style wood plane and while it did need a good bit of work to lap the iron and tune the chip breker is a very good piece of steel.

John Dykes
12-27-2007, 10:25 PM
I'm in Denver, and the Rockler is in South Denver on Colorado Ave.

Looking forward to getting my ebay Stanleys in - and see what I can do...

- jbd (in Denver)